LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » new lyme, neurological symptoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new lyme, neurological symptoms
firepipersnurse
Member # 9637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firepipersnurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,
not diagnosed yet but just curious about something. do neurological symptoms occur early in the course of lyme? i'm guessing if i do have this, (i have found a few ticks) it's been about six weeks give or take and i've had weakness, numbness, vibrations, burning, stiff shoulder arm, twitches, vertigo, blurred vision, yada, yada.

would i already exhibit neurological symptoms so soon. and if this was related to lyme wouldn't my sed rate be elevated? i'm awaiting my second test, mri of head and spine scheduled for next week but now i'm wondering if it's a spinal tumor or worse. neurologist does not think it's ms or worse since my symptoms come and go and they still do. i would think they we be constant if it was tumor (spine/brain) god, aren't i the optimist.

thanks
karen

Posts: 68 | From uxbridge, mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a good question. I've had lyme for a very very long time and I never thought I had neuro problems. They really didn't get to the point where I noticed something was wrong until about two years ago. Now that I know I have lyme I can look back and see that I had small neuro issues years and years ago.

I believe that each person is different so it is probably very difficult to answer your question.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen
YOur symptoms are almost mine verbatim, except I have more profound weakness on my right arm/leg.

I have seen tons of neurologists and had many tests, and nothing shows up as the cause.

my doc now thinks I have dysautonomia, which can cause many of the symptoms that you are describing also. May want to mention that to him.

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to LymeNet!!! Many friendly helpful people here. Ask all the questions you need to.

Everyone is different. Hubby's main symptoms are neurological and G.I. -- both groups of symptoms showed up at the same time and have become progressively worse over time -- 5 years now since illness started.

MRI changes from Lyme usually do not show up for a year or two unless you have severe encephalitis or meningitis. Changes on SPECT scans probably show up sooner -- hubby has not had one of those.

The neuro symptoms you are describing, unless they are very severe, will not cause you to fail a routine bedside neuro exam. 6 weeks into your illness it is also doubtful that the bacteria have had time to do extensive nerve damage and most likely tests like EMG and nerve conduction studies would be normal as well.

My advice is to get to an LLMD now while you have a very good chance to beat this illness. The longer you wait the more likely you will need more costly and lengthier treatment.

The other issue is coinfections. Ticks almost always give you more than one infection and frequently each infection requires a different treatment protocol. Only an LLMD has the experience to diagnose these coinfections and treat them adequately.

Good luck.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello firepipernurse,

I got bit & developed a rash June 22. I had several mild neuro symptoms within one week. It's been 4 weeks since then. I've been on antibiotics (augmentin and biaxin xl) and flagyl.

I'm feeling much better, but am still not 100%.

I noticed a dramatic loss in typing and spelling skills; I missed many spelling errors while proofreading. I felt like a slug mentally and physically. I would use the wrong word in a sentence & just couldn't think as quickly. I had difficulty understanding new material.

Get treated by a LLMD. It makes a world of difference!

Nancy [Smile]

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karen~ My symptoms were initially neurological: dizzyness, burning nerves, brain fog, tingling nerves.

My neurological exams (by 5 neurologists) have all been normal, including a spinal tap. Brain MRI also normal. Brain SPECT consistent with lyme.

It's good to get an MRI, and it's good to rule out anything else that the neurologists can think of, but don't let them label you with "idiopathic peripheral neuropathy" until you've visited an LLMD.

I'd make an appt now for your nearest LLMD (see Seeking a Doctor here at lymenet); while you continue to rule out other causes of your illness.

Good luck....Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbeck32
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbeck32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karen,
What you describe is exactly what happened to me.. I went to the doc. complaining of fatigue and I told him that I thought maybe I had mono again. Ran a mono-spot, nothing. Ran everything else in the world, MRI's CT's and SPEC scans. Nothing, not saying that you shouldn't have them done to rule things out..I remember my brain fazing in and out and then it just completely fazed out 24/7 and have been that way since 1999. I just got dx'd for lyme 3 months ago and am beginning to see a little bit of improvement on abx. Sure wish i could go back and start over..Get a good LLMD and get tested..Good luck..
Clay

Posts: 9 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrelia burgdorferi (the bacteria that cause lyme disease) can enter your brain very quickly and wreak havoc.

DO get all your neuro tests done for peace of mind and to rule out other problems. However, they'll likely be negative. But don't let that make you think you DON'T have lyme disease. Given your tick bite history, you quite likely DO. Please find an LLMD and get proper testing and treatment! Your neurologist will not test you properly, it's guaranteed.

Here's an excerpt from an article by Tom Grier, a brilliant researcher/microbiologist, entitled "The Complexities of Lyme Disease".
-------------------------------------
What happens when the infection gets to the brain? In the case of Lyme disease, every animal model to date shows that the Lyme spirochete can go from the site of the bite to the brain in just a few days. (41,60, abstract 644) While we know these bacteria can break down individual cell membranes and capillaries, its entrance into the brain is too pronounced for such a localized effect. When the Lyme bacteria enters the human body, we react by producing several immune regulatory substances known as cytokines and lymphokines.

Several of these act in concert to break down the blood brain barrier. (E.g. Il-6, Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha, Il-1, Transforming Growth Factor-beta etc.) In addition to affecting the blood brain barrier, these cytokines can make us feel ill, and give us fevers. (54,60,) (JID 1996:173, Jan)

Since the brain has no immune system, it prevents infection by limiting what can enter the brain. The capillary bed that surrounds the brain is so tight that not even white blood cells are allowed to enter. Many drugs can't enter either, making treatment of the brain especially hard.

For the first ten days of a Lyme infection, the blood brain barrier is virtually nonexistent. This not only allows the Lyme bacteria to get in, but also immune cells that can cause inflammation of the brain. (41) *Note: The breakdown of Bb was shown to occur by tagging WBCs, albumin, and other substances known not to cross the BBB with radioactive Iodine.

The CSF was tested, and then the animals were infected with Bb. Then the CSF was tested everyday for several weeks. The result: No cross over of Iodine in the control group, 100% crossover in the infected group for 10 days. The infection had the same result as injecting the radioactive iodine directly into the brain. (60)

When the human brain becomes inflamed, cells called macrophages respond by releasing a neuro-toxin called quinolinic acid. This toxin is also elevated in Parkinson's Disease, MS, ALS, and is responsible for the dementia that occurs in AIDS patients. What quinolinic acid does is stimulate neurons to repeatedly depolarize.

This eventually causes the neurons to demyelinate and die. People with elevated quinolinic acid have short-term memory problems. (27,29-37,40-42,74,75, 82-84,87-90)

This means: If we think of all of our brain cells like telephone lines, we can visualize the problem. If all of the lines coming in are busy, we can't learn anything. If all of the lines going out are busy, we can't recall any memories. Our thinking process becomes impaired.

A second impairment to clear thinking that Lymies experience is the restriction of proper circulation within the blood vessels inside the brain. Using an instrument called the Single Photon Emission Computer Tomography scanner (SPECT scans), we are able to visualize the blood flow throughout the human brain in 3-D detail.

What was seen in the brains of chronic neurological Lyme patients was an abnormal "swiss-cheese" pattern of blood flow. The cortical, or thinking region of the brain, was being deprived of good circulation; the occipital (eyesight) regions had an increase flow. This could help explain why most Lyme patients complain of poor concentration and overly sensitive eyes. (91)

The full text of his brilliant article can be found at:

http://www.canlyme.com/tom.html

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement