LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Explain Your Lyme Rage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Explain Your Lyme Rage
proud pup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proud pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you please decribe what your feeling during the rage? Do you remember everthing? Can you feel it coming on?

Also, can someone decribe how the person is acting, how long it lasts, etc???

I'd like to have a couple good descriptions from those that have them and then from their loved ones who have to get them through them.

I believe husband may be having them.

Posts: 191 | From Eastern Shore. Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Show me Lyme
Member # 9504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Show me Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really feel them coming on, they just happen. It is stuff that used to be not a big deal.

I was working in the shop and I tripped over my cord. Instead of going about my business, I grabbed it and pulled it from the wall and kicked the trash can.

I have kicked the dog, threw the cat, punched doors when I miss the doorknobs, yelled at people at work for asking simple yes or no questions. Anything can set me off for no apparent reason.

I would like to know the percentage of road rage cases that are Lymies. Maybe it can be a plea in court? I just get that mad in an instant, then the next minute I am fine.

Hope this helps -- and I don't have any kids or a wife, so you don't have to worry about their safety [Big Grin] .

Posts: 20 | From Platte City, MO | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Proud Pup,
I do get a build-up before the rage starts. It is most often triggered by time pressure....too much to do in too little time, and my being expected to do it all, and do it perfectly, like a normal person would, without help, despite my documented brain damage.

I start to mutter under my breath in a voice that sounds like someone possessed, I move faster, I feel hot, and can feel my heart beating right through my chest wall. Then I feel a "welling up" like a huge surge of adrenaline, and I start yelling, slamming doors, kicking trash cans (that one seems to be popular).

I never hurt one of our pets, thank God. If I can't get it stopped, I go outside and throw a softball against the side of the house over and over until I get worn out and use up the extra adrenaline, swearing and saying what I am angry about each time I throw it.

Being outside, away from my husband, prevents me from yelling at him, which would do no good, since: a) he is never going to change and help me out, and b) he grew up with a complete doormat for a mom, who never stood up for herself, so he is not used to yelling and cannot tolerate any sort of confrontation. If I want to stay married, I have to take it elsewhere.

My rages are fewer and far less intense since treatment with Samento, which I have been on for 3 years. I usually only have them during my monthly "herx week" these days.

I do have to avoid people I dislike though, since I can no longer count on being able to hold myself back from saying what I really think of them.... I spend a lot of time alone, lol!

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can so relate!

"I do have to avoid people I dislike though, since I can no longer count on being able to hold myself back from saying what I really think of them"

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reaction can run the gammet case to case, depending.

Here is a good article by Bransfeild:

http://www.mentalhealthandillness.com/Articles/AggressionAndLymeDisease.htm

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for this topic.

My hubby asked me to print the article Mo linked so his shrink might understand that the rage is probably not just a part of my personality.

Prior to my diagnosis, I spent many years in therapy and practiced insight meditation. Even with all that, I could not catch the rage coming on in time to do anything about it. At the time I thought I just needed to work harder. Now I know it's this dz.

My rage happens anytime I get frustrated which often happens when I'm pushing myself to do things that a non-Lymie could do. As we've just had the inside of the house painted, I don't throw things at the walls like I used to. (Guess I have that much control.) These days I've taken to hurling groceries. After a day minding our three year old I'll try to squeeze in a trip to the grocery store to get all the food I need for my rotation diet - it has to be fresh. I'll end up feeling maxed out, angry at my husband and then I'll throw produce around the kitchen - it hasn't been painted yet.

I've broken a window. I've thrown pruning shears at the wall. The refridgerator has a big gouge in it from when I slammed the door (leading from dining room to kitchen) into the fridge.

Unfortunately, this has been a reality of my illness. Sometimes I feel like LD's ugly fingerprints are all over my son.

D

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denise,

If you haven't done this already - you might discuss with your LLMD doing a SPECT scan, and neuro-psychological testing with one of the LL facilities and doctors/interpretors.

This if you want/need/would benefit from either personally/diagnotically or for documentation --
hard data to show that your mood disorders are reactive to infection and it's phyisiological effects.

If you can go on and treat and navigate your circumstances without the hard data --
then I suggest you continue to read medical articles in order to know yourself that this is reactive to disease. Based in an organic cause.

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadie420
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadie420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Lyme Rage. I had it for 14 years. Someone on another board suggested Dr. J-------'s (don't know if I can post a doc's name)Neuroantitox II CNS/PNS formula. This is supposed to get rid of the ammonia build-up in the brain that causes the Lyme rage. After finishing the bottle I have not had another episode, that was 5 months ago and I use to have episodes weekly. I was impressed with this product!

[ 27. July 2006, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: sadie420 ]

Posts: 115 | From new york | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A minor stressor triggers mine, and I absolutely have to throw something. I can control what I throw, to a degree.

Sometimes my significant other says something that I consider annoying, even if he's just trying to be helpful, and I have this feeling of extreme irritation, I actually feel it physically as well as mentally.

Luckily he is very sympathetic to all this. He's usually not home when I throw things though, and I usually don't leave any evidence. :-)

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that I don't have room, but if you do, I would consider getting a punching bag and gloves, like boxers use. If there is a bag that one can punch with the bare hands, that would be best, since stopping to put on gloves while raging is highly unlikely, IME.

One place I worked, we had a Bozo The Clown doll, with a heavy weight in it's bottom so it would not move, that could be punched with bare fists, and would knock over but bounce back up so you could punch it again. Very theraputic, and necessary for us psych-social workers! I wonder if they are still available....

I would love to have a set up like that to vent my rage on, so I don't break things around the house, and can really let go and let it out.

I will also Google "Neuroantitox II CNS/PNS formula" and see what I can find. Thanks.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadie,

Where did you order the product you described?

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadie420
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadie420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chronic,

Several people have asked me this by email. Is it all right to post the website here? If not, I will just keep privately emailing. Let me know

Posts: 115 | From new york | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get very irritable but have not had the rage. I have lots of brainfog and just started useing Jernigan Pale Spike Lobellia. It is suppose to help with ammonia. Its really helping my brain fog.
I am also useing Healing Lyme Book suggestions.And useing Planetary Herbals Andrograhis. www.planetaryformulas.com It kills the critters and also helps with ammonia.
You can probably get these elsewhere probably cheaper. Andrographis is kicking my butt so go slow.

Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proud Pup, my daughter has lyme disease, bartonella and was also treated for babesosis.

She spent a year having nightly spells or seizures where she would get aggitated, often over nothing and would start crying or wringing her hands.

This would escalate into heavy sobbing and if she was tired and not too angry, she would get in bed. She would eventually curl into like a fetal position and would sometimes rock, sometimes band her head on the bed or wall and would start screaming out of her mind things.

We could never understand them..This would be an outgrowth of repetitive words..That we also could not understand.

If she was more upset or angry, she would self mutilate..She often ripped at her arms and legs with her lancet for diabetes. When she was this angry, if anyone got near to her, they became the target.

I have been kicked so hard in the knee and leg that I am not sure it will ever be ok..She kicked furniture or anything in her way..

When I mentioned that we needed to check her blood sugar, she tried to slice me with the lancet.

Once while putting a pedestal fan together, she got angry and threatened to kill me with it..Her sister came in to intervene and then she was attacked with the same cylinder.. I had to jump on my ill daughter to protect the older one and I always used to keep valium in my pocket.

So while spread eagle on top of her and the fan, I was able to forceably ram a valium into her mouth..Was bitten in the process but 10 minutes later she was calm and ready to get in bed.

She would generally sleep for a couple of hours after these spells and when you asked her about them, she always denied having done any of the things that we would explain to her. And she was never able to tell us what had caused them.

2 years later, they are much rarer. We have only had 3 or 4 in the past year. Now she seems to understand when one is coming on and has asked for a valium in advance but she has not been able to explain what is happening..I have noticed a higher level of anxiety prior to each one.

2 were also prior to a full moon..She always has some issues then..

She is far from well and now refuses meds even after a new bulls eye, so I pray that we do not revert to the hell of a couple of years ago..

Good luck..I believe that the person having the spell, rage, etc, is not in control at the time..They can be very dangerous.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. www.jnutra.com You have to search for article on Pale Spike Lobelia & amonia. I did not realize that the amonia causes lyme rage. Glad this was posted.
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadie420
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9294

Chronic,

Here is the URL (below) If this is against this site's rules please just delete.

www.jnutra.com

I ordered the neuroantitox II CNS/PNS liquid formula.

Sadie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement