LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme doesnt like sunshine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme doesnt like sunshine?
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i read i think on the neural therapy website that lyme patients dont like the sunshine, that it makes us more depressed, does anyone find this is true? i always thought sunshine would only help depression, but i do find i prefer rainy days and dont like the sunshine, anyone else feel this way?
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loooove the sun. For my first year of being sick though, I stayed out of the sun (it just seemed somehow too overwhelming to my system) but last year and this year I've been spending lots of time in the sun.

Instead of using sunscreen I just gradually worked up the amount of time I spent in the sun. And, at first, my body broke out in a very nasty rash, which is supposedly "sun rash", but I wonder, I really do, if that's what it really is.

I know that most people, Lyme or not, are extremely depleted in Vitamin D, which as I read about it, seems to act more as a hormone than a vitamin, so part of my rationale was to up my vitamin D levels since I know Lyme whacks out hormone levels.

This summer, I am loving the sun, and it makes me feel better and happier. Oh also, being in the sun got rid of my athlete's foot. Sun is a great detoxifier, so that makes me happy. And I got one spot of rash on my neck but other than that no rash.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bon
Member # 5999

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rad,

As for my own experience with the sun.......its not good for me at all.

Should I be in the sun for anything over or close to 20 minutes, I know I'm in trouble!

Theres no doubt that it feels good initially............but with time, it has me heading for the hills !

Various medications warn you about the sun and suggest you refrain from it.

After a trial and error period this I have found for myself...15 minutes tops and get out of it. Should there be any delay my "bugs" come a knocking !
Its the feeling that is all to familiar. Basically I like to call it....Bugs running amuck!!

Posts: 50 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't tolerate the sun, but have friends (with Lyme) who LOVE it.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi did an interesting post on this recently.

Lyme and mold symptoms are very similar with a few distinct differences. One is the sun. If you have a mold allergy, you will love the sun and hot and dry climate.

If you prefer cloudy and wet weather, its lyme.

I'm a sun lover. I tested positive years ago to mold allergy.

Find GiGi's post for more comparison symptoms.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I have Lyme, but am also sensitive to mold. I just got an anti allergy mattress pad, and a bunch of air purifiers for the apartment, and have been in the process of cleaning everything. I'm feeling better because of it.

As for the sun, the only time I was out in it for hours was when I was on doxy...which was dumb. I didn't get nasty burns but my skin felt like it was all sunburned, even though it just tanned. Felt like that for a week.

I'm going to Florida from the 11-19, and will be stopping my ABX a couple of days prior to that because Lyme or no Lyme, wild dogs wouldn't be able to keep me from Fort Myers beach.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel much better on rainy, gloomy days. I feel awful in the sun and avoid it at all costs. I always loved the sun pre Lyme, but not any more. Barb
Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess like everything else with lyme everyones different on the issue of sushine.

I feel better in short times in the sun. Maybe something like 10 minutes a day.

Longer times in the sun tend to take it out of me. I think sometimes if you get a tan or burn or sweat too much your body works really hard to repair the damage.

I feel worse on rainy days and better when the sun's shining, wheather I get out or not.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do WAY better staying out of the sun. I think it all has to do with what Trevor Marshal of the Marshal Protocol claims.

J

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My response has been a bit different.

I was a sun-worshiper, and for the first several years of my illness the sun made me feel batter. (Though, it seemed I'd have new syx appear in the summer.)

But over the years my tolerance for sun has progressively gotten worse. And now a few minutes of sunlight on my skin can trigger a flare. When herxing or already flaring (or when on rifampin) my tolerance gets much, much worse. Hut when I am feeling a bit better it seems to improve. ???

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the sunshine and like to be out in it provided it is not hot and humid. My body can't handle these high temps and high humidity.

My body feels fine on rainy days, too, but I get depressed. So, I guess sun wins for me. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8885 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sun can prevent and heal disease. It's been used throughout history as such (tho not midday sun or frying yourself, that would be extremely taxing, especially with chronic illness).
When used to cure TB, patients were instructed to start with just minutes of off-peak sun a day and build up from there.

When I was ill, the sun made me feel horrible. It doesn't now, regardless - I always avoid
10-2 PM sun for prolonged periods.
I'm also very fair, so do not have the constitution for "sun-worshiping".

From what I have learned re: health -- I no longer believe the sun causes skin cancer, I beleive skin cancer comes from internal causes.
We NEED the sun to be healthy.. as all other living things do.

-----------------------------------------------

The Healing Sun - Sunlight and Health in the 21st Century

by Richard Hobday, MSc, Ph.D.

Reviewed by Sandra Goodman, Ph.D.

{Buy it Online}

This is an authoritative and exceedingly politically incorrect book, with hundreds of references to the scientific literature. Dr Hobday, in addition to challenging many mainstream holy grails regarding the pivotal role of the sun to our health, has presented a quite refreshing juxtaposition of many diverse topics - epidemiology of cancer, heart disease, and multiple sclerosis, treatment of tuberculosis and wounds by helio(sun)therapy, Chinese martial arts, and architecture.

Against the well-accepted mantra that sun and sun tanning is harmful and causes skin cancer, and that exposure to the sun must be avoided at all costs, Dr Hobday begins with the quite remarkable statement that there is a considerable body of scientific evidence demonstrating that `sunlight may play a key role in preventing and ameliorating a number of serious degenerative and infection diseases, including cancers of the breast, colon, ovaries and prostate; diabetes; high blood pressure; heart disease; multiple sclerosis; osteoporosis; psoriasis; rickets and tuberculosis.'

He describes the components of sunlight - visible light, ultraviolet radiation and infra-red radiation, and the two wavelengths which affect the skin - ultraviolet A (UVA - 320-400 nm) and ultraviolet B (UVB - 290-320 nm). Whereas until recently, UVA was considered to be relatively safe, it has now been shown that UVA rays penetrate deeply into the skin. Repeated exposure to the sun over many years leads to premature ageing, atrophy of the skin and even skin cancer. However, exposure to the sun is beneficial to certain skin disorders, including psoriasis, certain types of acne, some bacterial and fungal infections and the rare malignant skin cancer mycosis fungoides.

The author explores the complex biochemical cascade arising from sunlight, including interactions affecting the synthesis of vitamin D, hormones including melatonin, the pigment melanin, the minerals calcium and magnesium, blood pressure and cholesterol levels, even evidence that exposure to sunlight protects individuals from internal organ cancers, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis and jaundice.

In these days of acceptance of the role of antioxidants to prevent diseases including cancer, I found impressive the less publicized epidemiological evidence showing strong relationships between distance from the sun and death rates of colon and breast cancers. In those countries farther away from the equator, the higher the death rate; in those closer to the sun, the lower the rate. In European countries such as the UK, Netherlands, Germany and Austria, colon death rates, per 100,000 people, published in 1999, are about 16; in Spain, Greece, Chile, Florida, Mexico and Hawaii, they are between 5.5 and 8.5. Similarly breast cancer rates in European countries are about 26-29; in more southern countries they are about 12-15.

Similar evidence also exists for prostate and ovarian cancers, heart disease, diabetes (sunlight has a similar effect to insulin in that it lowers blood concentrations of glucose) and multiple sclerosis. Not only are the precise mechanisms behind the sun's protection of these conditions not known; there appears to be a lack of research into even, for instance, vitamin D levels across the UK population.

Some of the most interesting aspects of this book relate to the historical use of sunlight therapy proving not only that sunlight can kill bacteria, but also describing the clinical application of heliotherapy to cure tuberculosis and war wounds by British and European scientists and physicians of the 19th and 20th centuries. The photos of the afflicted children which were cured of tuberculosis are astonishing!

Not sunbathing in any sense of the word, these doctors employed a totally systematic regime of exposing, very gradually (5 minutes per day to start) very restricted regions of the bodies to the sun, usually early in the morning in cool temperatures, until a tan was established. There was also an emphasis upon a wholefood diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, grains and pulses.

Discussed in the book are depression, SAD, hydrogenated and trans-fatty acids, possible links between fluorescent lighting and malignant melanoma, and the possible role of vitamin D in the inhibition of malignant melanoma and other cancers.

Dr Hobday is exceedingly responsible in not advocating that people go out in the midday sun in hot weather; he advocates that we eat a high quality diet, engage in moderate outdoors exercise in cool temperatures (such as Tai chi at sunrise) and live and work in buildings that let in adequate and healthful amounts of natural sunlight. Here is an important book whose messages we ignore at our peril.

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for all your replies, i was talking more about mood and not physical symptoms, how sun affects your mood, thanks for all your input,
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mood is definitely better when the sun shines! I hate dark and dreary days, and I tend to get depressed. I fully believe that in the winter I suffer from SAD, and use special lighting in my "reading lamp" by my chair.

If the sun is shining, I'm happy!

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flln_pixie
Member # 9692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flln_pixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sun always improves my mood. Even though I need to rest after I find that some time in the sun makes me in a really good mood the next day.
Posts: 6 | From Maryland USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bright Summertime sun will make me physically ill.

I love the Winter, Fall and early Spring before the sun gets brightest. It is the heat and the brightness that do me in.

Depression? No, I just get ill in the sun.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything is worse for me on sunny days. Driving is really difficult. My symptoms all get worse, brain gets foggy, vibrating increases...

It is amazing how much better I do on cloudy days.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement