LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » new lyme vs. chronic lymers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new lyme vs. chronic lymers
firepipersnurse
Member # 9637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firepipersnurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, i'm just curious about something. i;ve been posting alot trying to sort out my current medical condition and am wondering if there are any people who have been recently bit or diagnosed with lyme vs. people who have had symptoms for years and are finally getting treated. it's important to me, since i feel this early on in my questionable diagnosis i shouldn't have so many symptoms of chronic lymers and if i knew people were posting that were recently infected it might help me in the early course of this possible diagnosis.

thanks for any help
karen

Posts: 68 | From uxbridge, mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't you say you were bit one year before being tested for Lyme??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firepipersnurse
Member # 9637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firepipersnurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, i don't even know if i was bit. i found two ticks on me and then peeled another "mole" off me. this all transpired in the past six weeks so i'm not sure if my symptoms are consistent with a new bite lyme diagnosis and am afraid i'm reading into chronic lyme posts consistent with my symptoms that may lead me to some other kind of diagnosis. sorry if i wrote i got bit a year ago but i don't think i did.
karen

Posts: 68 | From uxbridge, mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm confused by your question then. The symptoms for chronic lyme are the same as for "new lyme"...it's all the same....just the prognosis is different.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firepipersnurse
Member # 9637

okay that helps. i just didn't know if someone just possibly infected would exhibit the same signs and symptoms of someone who was finally diagnosed years later. it seems my symptoms fit the bill, as they seem to fit the bill for a host of other illnesses however, they come and go and change daily. i just wanted to see if i was on the right track. basically, i'm just waiting to find out what it is i have. the waiting game is no fun. most times i think it's lyme, with the possible herx and all and then i start to wonder off and think, gee, maybe it's something else. thanks for replying, this site is incredible when it comes to responses, most sites see a "newbie" and you barely get one response never mind several like here.

karen

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by firepipersnurse:
however, they come and go and change daily. ...... most sites see a "newbie" and you barely get one response never mind several like here.

karen

That's pretty indicative of Lyme.

Thanks....we try to take care of the newbies.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've all been newbies at one time or another, even if we have been sick for years...

A lot of the mainstream literature will make it sound like there is a clear-cut first, middle, and late stage of lyme -- most llmds (and sufferers) say NoT SO! The symptoms can come on very quickly for some, in stages over several years for others.

Hope that helps

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil and Mary
Member # 9602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virgil and Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Virgil the tick was in his right arm and Right after the rash appeared he had terrible pain in his left leg. Things got worse from there. He is feeling better now but still has varying pains but nothing like those first few weeks.

--------------------
Virgil and Mary

Posts: 58 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many, many doctors said "You don't have Lyme because you don't have [insert symptom]."

Lyme is different in everybody. Lyme changes in most people. I've had Lyme for 19 years and the symptoms have changed repeatedly during that time.

I wasn't certain when I was diagnosed with Lyme, but it was the first diagnosis that felt right. I decided to try treatment and see what happened. The herxes made it clear to me it was Lyme. As have the improvements and the new symptoms that have arisen.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my years of LD/coinfections I've had a ton of different sx. The headache, confusion, fatigue, and joint pain were pretty constant; other sx came and went seemingly at random. This seems to be typical.

My husband got very very sick with the whole range of LD/Co sx within (we think) 6mo-1 year of being infected, with some symptoms appearing within the first 2 months. I, on the other hand, had a much slower onset, with fewer and less severe symptoms. Go figure. One difference is that he had multiple tick bites all his life -- perhaps the last one tipped the balance and somehow caused the illness to be much worse.

I now realize that a lot of my "LD" sx weren't from Bb, but from coinfections and, in the hubby's case, opportunistic viral infections and bacterial infections in the gut (from immune system suppression). You may have that going on for you, too.

One thing to remember in assessing your response to tx is that some chronic lymies are not treatment virgins -- they just didn't get the right treatment. And probably the wrong one (e.g., steroids to control the arthritis, or some of the right drugs in doses too low to kill the bugs but high enough to generate resistance).

These folks -- I are one -- tend not to respond as well to treatment. So don't get utterly freaked when you hear about us looooooong timers.

It's also astounding to find out how very differently people respond to both drugs and herbs, depending on their own body chemistry and genetics.

Just in case you haven't seen it, there's a fairly comprehensive list of LD sx at http://www.lymedisease.org/symptoms.htm

And finally -- "not everything is LD/Co" is an important mantra. You might have underlying and totally unrelated conditions that LD/Co are exacerbating. (assuming you do indeed have LD/Co}

Like many people, I did not test positive (in the strict lab interpretations) Bb or babesia; it was only my sx and my response to treatment that confirmed I had them and was on the right track.

Best of luck

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
my symptoms ............ come and go and change daily.
karen [/QB]

Truly, deeply, utterly clasic lyme presentation.
Have you been to an LLMD yet?

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fpnurse, I sure understand your confusion about "could I really have Lyme?" at this stage of the game. I went through the same thing even AFTER having a positive blood test.

And I know it seems like negative blood work for Lyme SHOULD indicate that you don't have it. But I hope you got straightened out on that part.

We here at LymeNet have lost a lot of our abilities, but talking is not one of them. Welcome to the board. [Big Grin]

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement