LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » need input for my 'no sugar' experiment!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need input for my 'no sugar' experiment!
monkeyshines
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeyshines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one area in which I am truly a bad patient, and frankly, I've gotten worse as I've gotten less optimistic in the past year.

I have never *really* cut out sugar to see if it would make a difference.

While I know this is self defeating, frankly, I've worked so hard and made so many sacrifices (all the appointments, treatments, IVs, orals, surgeries, money, not eating gluten, dairy, and eggs for the past four years, blah blah blah) without getting better so far ....

I haven't been able to muster the will to do this one thing. For me, carbs = comfort.

I've seen two LLMDs, and neither think yeast is my problem. I was on diflucan for the 2.5 years I was on abx (I'm not on abx now). I have taken good quality probiotics since I first went on abx four years ago and continue to do so.

So here's my question .... If I get serious and cut back ... really cut back ... on sugar and carbs, how long will it take to know if it is helping?

I think that if I can say, "okay, if this doesn't work after (blank period of time), I can go back to having cereal, and sugar in my morning decaf, and soy ice cream after I drag my butt through another day of work," then maybe I can at least give it a try.

I know I might get some JUST GET OFF THE SUGAR replies, but anyone who has a good idea of timeframe would be really helpful in motivating me.

I don't like meat. I do love (whole) grains. This ain't gonna be easy!

monkeyshines

Posts: 343 | From Northern VA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
# months will show you a big difference. Doing atkins correctly. meat,fat,some cheeses,certainfruits,No bread unless whole grain and not much,no tators any kind no beans like kidney,baked,etc eliminate all processed sugars, Read his book and modify to fit you .

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monkeyshines, sugar is addictive, which is why it is so hard to stop. Someone did an experiment with animals that found once addicted to both alcohol and sugar, they would consistently choose the sugar over the alcohol--indicating it was even more addictive than alcohol.

Some think an ectomorphic body type (longer, leaner types with higher metabolism) are more prone to sugar cravings, so body chemistry may play into why one gets addicted and another doesn't.

In my experience, it takes at least a couple of months cold-turkey stopping it to get control of the cravings. You can use Stevia herb in place of it--it reportedly doesn't cause the insulin spikes that sugars do, a part of the craving reaction. Once you get off sugar for awhile and then go back to it (eg. in tea), it tastes TOO syrupy sweet, too strong--so your taste buds & perceptions do adapt over time. It's tough, but make the effort. Your body will thank you.

Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymefighter7
Member # 9224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymefighter7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monkeyshines,

Hey! I know that the whole yeast thing is a pain in the butt, but if can be ovecame with some discipline it is worth doing an eating regimine.

I too have the hardest time in the world with yeast problems and carbs and sugar being my comfort food. I think one of the greatest things I can suggest to you right now if you are really serious about this is doing "The Makers Diet" I have mentioned this in a previous post. The author of the book is Jordan Rubin, and he is a N.M.D Ph.D. in Nutrition. H ehad one of the highest levels of yeast overgrowth possible and a severe case of Chrohns disease. All of the foods he uses are natural.

This book is a very good book to get. I just began this diet myself because I am just desperate and am so tired of the medicine route. He gives sample menues and other things in his book. After doing this diet for about 1 week so far my yeast has been better. The diet is for 40 days.

You start out with things like veggies, meat,some berries, and some dairy. Over the time period he gives you, you eventually work grains and even special goodies that he recommends that contain chocolate.

I have had a very very hard time with sticking completely to this, but have done it. I am proud of myself for not cheating once. This regimine will also provide your body some much needed great nutrition, and we all need as much of that as we can get on this board.

Good luck if you decide to try this!!!

Posts: 47 | From WV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experiences, the first week is awful. If you do have yeast and you are taking something to kill the yeast, you can actually herx some.

But within a week my pain usually subsides some and my energy picks up. I definitely see a difference of some sort.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement