LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Plant sterols or Phytosterols or ModuCare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plant sterols or Phytosterols or ModuCare
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used plant sterols, phytosterols or ModuCare successfully for TBDs? My ND recently suggested them however she's not very experienced with TBDs.

I'm a bit concerned because it's an immune balancer: increasing some immune activity and decreasing others. I don't want to inadvertantly decrease my healthy immune response. Some of sx did seem autoimmune like IgG in my cerebrospinal fluid; I was misdiagnosed with MS.

Thanks,
D

PS
Here's some technical info on what plant sterols are supposed to do:
They have been shown to regulate the functions of the T-cells by enhancing their cellular division and their secretion of lymphokines - which control the activity of B cells which produce antibodies.

"In over 133 double-blind clinical studies to date, sterols/sterolins have been shown to significantly enhance the proliferation of the CD-4 TH-1 cells and to increase the production of the "lymphokines" Interleukin 2 (IL2) and Gamma-interferon."

Our body's immune system is like a production line in a factory. Every step in the process is dependent on every other step. Illness, viruses and infections (including candida) create an imbalance by suppressing our TH-1 cells. (Also many other factors such as nutritional deficiencies, immunization, electro-magnetic stress, environmental toxins and so on). TH-1 cells control the TH-2 (Type 2 Helper) cells release of chemicals (IL4, IL6 and IL10) that enhance the activity of B-cells. B-cells produce antibodies that attack invaders outside the cell walls. Therefore, a drastic reduction of the TH-1 immune chemicals (lymphokines) will allow the TH-2 cells to over produce their chemicals that will, in turn, create too many B-cells or antibodies. Too many antibodies can cause an autoimmune reaction.

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm bumping this one up, too. I posted so early in the morning that maybe it was missed.
Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The theory is sound....don't know if it actually works or not.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in NO WAY medical advice, just my personal opinion --

When in doubt, I give something a try! If it works, I stick with it. If it makes me worse, I don't... simplistic, yes, but it works for me.

It does seem that some of us get really out of balance in terms of the immune response -- hypo in some areas, hyper in others. I'd suggest, if you do try this out, to have regular lab testing to measure what is happening in your body --- in addition to listening to your own physical symptoms to see how it makes you feel.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KMP
Member # 9713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KMP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it the CD57 Th 1 cells that we want to increase?

--------------------
God's mercies are new every morning.

Karla

Posts: 85 | From KANSAS | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What monkey said makes sense to me.

There are ways you can monitor whether you are having a healthy immune response.

You would get productive fever (and let it do it's job, not supress it), feel hungry, feel tired and experience productive sleep..
migrating pains, perhaps, like when you are successfully fighting a bad flu bug.

Things would feel different. Are you on anything else, or would you stay on anything else with this?

If you have a Doc who would write the order - you could have your CBC's run, pre and during treatment -

you could watch yor WBC differential subsets, reactive lymphocytes -
your Immunoglobulins (IgM) --

and match that with symptoms and improvement, and generally seeing how you feel.

That's just what I would do if I was working with immunotherapy - which is what I understand Moducare is. I would want to monitor myself closely, with the assistance of someone, or reference to - information on immune response.

I would also follow a diet to fuel the immune system - like the paleolithic diet, with plenty of good fat like coconut oil added and stuff like that.

The immune system needs fuel.

Maybe do a cleanse first, and keep things moving.
I believe many therapies have potential, allopathic or alternative, but none of them will work without a personalized programme in support of your whole body in sync with them.

Just taking the treatment itself may be ineffective.
The potential is greatly increased when you use it along with allot of targeted support of it's action.

Also, the plant sisterols are one of the active compounds in Sarsparilla, the herbal treatment for syphillis.

Good luck whatever you do --

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Virgil and Mary
Member # 9602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virgil and Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very important to use products that modulate the immune system and to have all the cells communicating properly.

Then when the immune system is stimulated it reacts and when it is no longer needed it shuts down.

Autoimmune diseases are due to our immune systems turning on but not turning off when their work is completed. The result is good cells being destroyed.

The communication between cells is vital and with today's poor nutrition content of foods this is a major problem. Hence all the autoimmune disease which are so prevelant in our time.

Plant sterols are not hormones and only give the body the raw materials needed to produce the various hormones.

When plant sterols are used in conjunction with Glyconutrients (sugars that are necessary for cell to cell communication)they can be utilized more effectively.

Your doctor was very wise in recommending this means of feeding your body the proper nutrients.
It makes so much more sense than feelding your body artificial hormones which can't be regulated by the body.

--------------------
Virgil and Mary

Posts: 58 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Thanks so much for all the feedback.

I'm doing a lot of different therapies: abx, supplements, acupuncture, physical therapy, tai chi, FIR sauna, walking.

I think I'll check with my LLMDs who are open to alternatives to double check the compatibility of plant sterols. Or maybe I'll just try it.

I'm also taking coriolus and cordyceps. Coriolus increases the CD57 subset of NKCs.

I'm improving, most definitely. I've been told that I'm at the point where I just need to get my immune system over the hump.

Thanks again,
D

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement