LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » symptoms after 400 mg doxy for 5 wks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: symptoms after 400 mg doxy for 5 wks
joprit
Member # 7543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joprit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi group,

I started 200 mg doxyclyine 2x day when about 3 weeks after finding a tick I started having joint pain in my knuckles, wrists, elbows, and where my toes join my foot. I waited for symptoms only because my primary dr only treated me last time I had a tick bite because I had a rash. Last time he would not give me all of the dosage I requested because he wasn't in his pda info. This time he gave me what I asked for which is 400 mg doxy per day for two months since I had symptoms. He even accepted a copy of the ILAD's treatment guidelines which I was happy about.

I have still had intermittent joint pain in those area while on the abx. I am afraid when I stop the abx that the pain will come back and this doc definitely won't know what to do from there. I find if I exert those muscles like pick up something heavy that it seems to cause the pain to come back.

I thought for sure that with such a high dosage I wouldn't be still experiencing pain after 1 month, and that two months docy would be sufficient to knock anything out. I haven't been tested for co-infections though.

Has anyone had an experience like this?

My brother in law is seeing a llmd so I know of someone I could try to get in to see, though there is probably a waiting list.

thanks in advance for any comments.

Joan
in Mont. Co., PA

Posts: 13 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joan,

I'm going through this right now with my elderly father. We are seeing my Lyme doctor next week (I've had Chronic Lyme for years - my dad was bitten about a month ago but I couldn't get the local docs to put him on a high enough dose of Doxy. They didn't believe him any more than they believed me when I was bitten four years ago).

Anyway, I finally got him on the 400 mg./Doxy, which is the dosage I was first put on when diagnosed. He is still having new symptoms and this is freaking me out. Granted, his age is working against him, but he was in great health before this hit.

Once I discuss this with our LLMD on August 16, I'll post again or PM you and let you know what the doctor said about length of time on Doxy for early Lyme.

By the way, my LLMD told me he keeps patients on antibiotics for two months AFTER symptoms have subsided. Of course I'm nowhere near end of symptoms so I haven't done that personally, but maybe that's the rule of thumb you might want to consider.

Have you looked at Dr. B's guidelines in the Newbies section?

Take care,
Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joprit
Member # 7543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joprit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much Jill! I will look forward to hearing what you llmd has to say. Joan
Posts: 13 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi joprit -

Sorry to hear you are still having symptoms.

Some LLMDs like to vary the antibiotics because they believe that different strains of lyme are affected differently with different antibiotic regimines.

As well, some combine more then one antibiotic to be taken at once.

The other issue is the cyst form of lyme which is Lyme's way to protect itself from getting erradicated by the immune system, antibiotics or any threat. Many LLMDs believe that you must use Flagyl (Metronidazol) or Tinidazol (spelling?) to kill this form and that if you don't, once the threat of antibiotics is removed, this cyst form will change back to it's active form and cause havock.

I would urge you to read Dr. B's treatment guidelines...and TreePatrol's (I think it is Tree's (member on the board) Newbie Lyme Links there is a lot of really good info. there.

I definitely would recommend getting into that LLMD's office as soon as you can.

Take care!

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement