LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flying with New Restrictions (Just Spoke to TSA)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flying with New Restrictions (Just Spoke to TSA)
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who have to fly within or from the U.S., I just spoke with a representative from the TSA about how to travel with medications and supplements under the new regulations.

This is what she said:

1. All carry-on prescription medications MUST be in their original prescription packaging with the passenger's name. You cannot take the pills out and put them into pill boxes or pill sorters. (Yep, that's a whole carry-on in itself for me).

2. You are only allowed 4 oz of non-prescription liquid medications and up to 8 oz of liquid or gel low blood sugar treatment in carry-on baggage. You should keep it in original packaging to prevent a problem.

3. Any liquid or gel medications above the 4 or 8 oz limits should be put in checked baggage.

4. Any non-prescription pills or vitamins/supplements should be checked. I didn't see anything about this on the TSA website, but it is what the representative told me on the phone. To avoid having to throw out expensive meds or supplements, I recommend checking them.

5. The representative said I might be able to carry liquid supplements on board with a doctor's note, but I wasn't convinced I could get through. I take liquid Glutathione and Folic Acid, and I'm not going to take the chance of putting them in carry-on.

I also called Continental airlines, who I am flying next week, to ask about temperature control in the checked baggage compartment.

The Continental representative said temperature is usually regulated because animals often travel in the same compartment. He also said it was ok to put supplements or meds in a cooler and the cooler in your checked luggage.

Here is the TSA website on medications if you need more information: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

I am so not looking forward to the screeners looking at my 10+ prescriptions and not being able to take my B-12 while on the plane.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Aniek,

Hubby had been wondering what the new restrictions were. Trying to decide whether to keep Sept LLMD appointment or reschedule.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Aniek!

You saved me a phone call. I have been checking the TSA and airport sites trying to figure out exactly what I needed to do. You have answered all my questions... right down to the temperature of the baggage compartment.

oh, boy this is gonna be fun traveling with 3 weeks of meds. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you need to take meds on the flight you need to take them all in the original bottles? I guess they don't realize how many a lot of people take! I agree that it is an entire carry on. [loco]

Another concern I have is water. I drink a lot every day and always take about three bottles with me on a flight of about 2-3 hours. They do not serve that much water on the planes. Any suggestions for that? [confused]

I'm hoping things settle down before my next flight in late October. [dizzy]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no trouble with checked meds when I flew in May. I was expecting a hassle, but nothing was said.

I know things are different now, but the checked items should not be a problem.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymednva:
Another concern I have is water. I drink a lot every day and always take about three bottles with me on a flight of about 2-3 hours. They do not serve that much water on the planes. Any suggestions for that? [confused]

Last time I flew... when they came around... I asked for water, a whole lot of it. (Knowing that little cup wouldn't hold me even with my own water bottle.) The attendant gave me a whole bottle. Did I feel dopey with a quart of water? A little, but I drank it, all. [Smile]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to go to FL from PA in November. I'm thinking now of just taking the overnight train. It seems like a lot less hassle.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they plan to install more H20 fountains and/or pass out complimentary H20 at the gate. Choking down pills dry sucks. The airlines and airports will probably capitalize and charge for drinks at the gate.

Is it just me or are others sick & resentful of this BS?

[ 15. August 2006, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Foggy ]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard (didn't check this today when I called) you can't bring any liquid on the plane. Even if you buy it after security.

I would make sure you tell an attendant as you get on the plane that you require lots of water for a medical condition.

Checking medicine should be fine, in any format. It's just if you carry it on it needs to be in its original containers. I'm guessing this won't be indefinite. I'm sure AARP is lobbying as I type.

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the great fortune of flying last Thursday, the FIRST morning that the restrictions went into place.

I happened to turn on the TV in our condo, saw the news and told my husband we should get to the airport early.

Before security we had to dump all liquids, including the water in my water bottle.

They let me take through my liquid vancomycin. It was in a prescription bottle with my name on it. They took it out and looked at it.

They also (thank God) let me take all my supplements through even though they had been presorted into a pill box. (This was on our return trip home, so I did not have the original containers with me.)

It is my understanding that the liquids/gels are the issue, not so much pills. However, I would most likely check any supplements that you have...just carry what you need for the trip and hope they let you through with that. Of course, if you need the medicine (because it is prescription) carry it all with you, so in case your luggage gets lost, you will have it.

You can buy whatever beverages you want once you pass security, but no beverages are allowed on the plane. Once on the plane, I'm sure you can get as much water as you need...just ask the stewardess for 2 or 3 glasses at a time. [Wink]

My daughter had her (solid) deorderant taken from her at security.

While waiting to board the plane, we got to watch the TV with lots of explanations of the terrorist's plots and lots of visuals of planes blowing up. That was reassuring. [Eek!]

The pilot viewed everyone as they boarded his plane. He seemed like a very nice man. I wished he had it in his power to single out people and say "you need further screening." or "I'm not flying you on this plane."

This pilot was doing his best to fly us safely across the ocean, and it broke my heart to think that others were doing their best to blow up the plane. It made me sick to know that there are people like that in the world.

Once we landed (at midnight) the cargo door of the plane got jammed and we could not get our luggage. I was amazed at the number of irate people.

Get a grip! It's only luggage!! I guess having lyme disease has made me realize how few things really matter. I could care less about the luggage. Big deal.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since my insurance company now requires me to purchase all my meds in 90 day volume by mail order or pay a huge surcharge, I will have a very large bag of meds in their original bottles.

Having had my bags not make to my destination more than once, even when I was on a non-stop flight and I got there in plenty of time, I am leery of checking anything I would need within 24 hours.

I've been taking to a friend whose son works for TSA and he says they are already loosening up a bit.

As for the water I would have no problem drinking a whole quart on a flight. It can be so dry on the planes. Some of my meds cannot be taken without an entire glass of water, either.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Lymednva - I'm only taking the pills I need on the trip. I will take all the other pills out of the bottle and put them in labeled bags or tupperware. I'll still have all the bottles with me, but I won't have to worry about losing more than the 3 day supply I need for the trip if anything happens.

Timaca - Last year, I had a bag I checked get run over while they were loading the bags. The bag and its contents were destroyed.

While I was filling out my claim form for everything I lost, a woman out front kept demanding $20 to replace her makeup that was probably coming on the next flight. Her bag didn't make it on the plane, and she needed the money now because if it didn't make it on the next plane then all the stores would be closed and she just could not go to work in the morning without her face on!

--------------------

Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew the day after the new rules. I checked absolutely everything with the exception of the meds I needed to take with some sort of food as it was an 8 AM flight. I carried them through the check all in one bottle, not their originals. I figured if they had a problem I could take them right then and there and then grab some food minutes later.

They never asked, but then they were all tablets, no gels or liquids. I just checked all supplements and took them as soon as I landed if I had to. It really didn't seem to be that difficult. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Even by the second day, people seemed to have it down pretty good. There was very little in the trash receptecles just before the check point. A couple of lip sticks.

Odd though, I could have sworn I smelled fresh perfume just as we landed. Wondered how someone managed to get on with that.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We fly out of Philly, the land of chronic baggage issues. We do carry on only whenever possible.

When we go at Christmas, we ship a box via UPS both coming and going. It keeps us from waiting for bags for hours in Philly.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have a problem with Albuterol? Are aerosols of any kind allowed?
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curley911
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curley911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a short trip here are some suggestions given to me by a customer whose brother used to be a commercial flight attendant. Now he's private.

Soak cotton balls in makeup remover and put in plastic bag or old pill bottle.

Pre-soak liquid makeup sponge w/foundation.

I'm sure everyone has their own variety of products so you get the drift.

I'm only flying overnight and will wear the same outfit each day and not check luggage. I won't be there long enough to get it if they loose it which has happened to me 3 times in the last 8 or so years. I can always throw an extra pair of undies in my bag which they now allow computer size bags.

I'll miss supplements one night and one morning. Gotta do what I gotta do . . .hope this helps :-)

Posts: 982 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

quote:
Originally posted by Lymelighter:
Anyone have a problem with Albuterol? Are aerosols of any kind allowed?

Below is from the TSA website.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/new-items.shtm

"You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids. Please remember these items must be solid and not liquid, gel or aerosol."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

"Non liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Please make sure your medications are labeled."

In General: If you have a question, go to the security area and tell somebody you have a question about whether an item is allowed. Get your answer before you check in and check your baggage, that way you can always check it if you need to and haven't wasted time on-line. Tell them it's medical so they address it ASAP.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement