LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » failed a ENG...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: failed a ENG...
firepipersnurse
Member # 9637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firepipersnurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i think i failed my test. what a nightmare that was, i actually prefer MRI's lol. anybody ever had one of these. they make you look at dots for an hour in all different positions and then shut your eyes and try to keep your eyes looking at the dot, although your eyes are closed.

then for a finale, they put cool air in both ears, this was awful and started to give me vertigo and then they put warm air in your ears.

at the last part of the test the tech says to me, have you been tired? ( i told her i had a glass of wine with lunch) the last reading looks different. great, now what does that mean. i asked her if the results would be sent to my neuro, she said yes, that's it. i hate when they don't give you a clue but the "tired" comment now has me veering away from lyme again.

it never ends. i'm off to my pcp tonight to ask for abx based on clinical diagnosis, let's keep our fingers crossed that the doc working is not the one that said no, your lyme was negative, wait six weeks and retest.....

shoulder has been sore and weak today....still comes and goes....and leg weak too....i hope abx will start me feeling better so i don't continue to freak out about what else i may have...

thanks for the crossed fingers and all your support lately, it means so much to me.

Posts: 68 | From uxbridge, mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil M Martin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil M Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ENG was not so rigorous.

Can't say the same for the sigmoidscopy and EMG, which HMO ran next.

--------------------
Neil

Posts: 697 | From Tucson, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH... I thought you were having an EMG.

i hate when they don't give you a clue but the "tired" comment now has me veering away from lyme again.

Why would that make you think it's not Lyme?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Tutu's question. Fatigue is one of my worst symptoms. [sleepy]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is an ENG? I am scheduled for tests where they measure vision and balance but it wasn't referred to as an ENG although it sounds similar.
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firepipersnurse
Member # 9637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firepipersnurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know what ENG stands for but is a test to see if you have nsygamus when you move your eyes a certain way.

i've been having bouts of vertigo since this all started six weeks ago. after my mri of head and c-spine were clear, neuro suggested ENG since my vertigo wasn't "central" they think it's peripheral, whatever that means.

so they attach electrodes to your face and make you watch this obnoxious red light move up down and sideways and you spend alot of time looking to the right and looking to the left and looking up at the ceiling and then they say, close your eyes and look in the same direction, don't move...WTF>>>>>>>>how do you keep your eyes closed and pretend to look at something on the wall?

then as a finale, they blow cool and warm air into your ears make you shut your eyes and then open. and then finally after 1.5 hours your done.

air made me have vertigo, i don't think i followed commands very well, it was very confusing, especially after a class of wine and some ativan......lol, i know i'm quite the prize lately.

not to bad, probably better than evoked potentials and lumbar puncture.

good luck,
email me if you have more questions
karen

Posts: 68 | From uxbridge, mass | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the tests need to be interpreted by another doctor. The tech performing the test might not know how to interpet it correctly.

Did you really have wine before the test? If so, I would recommend not doing that with future tests. It can have a big impact on results.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi firepipernurse

I am sorry you hd such a bad time with your test today.

sorry to vere off topic but why would you go back to your pcp who doesn't sound like he knows much about lyme?

Have you tryed to find a LLMD?

Treating lyme disease is complicated to treat and most pcps don't have a clue or the experience to handle it.

Take care

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an ENG cause of vertigo. I used to come to a top sign and felt like I was still moving or get a feeling like I was really hung over (I don't even drink).

Have you thought of asking someone to give you doxy for a month? If you herx-this is a strong sign of lyme. It wouldn't do any harm and would get you on the road. Also, it can turn a neg test to positive for some.

I had two neg lyme tests through quest (all docs said you cant have lyme) then I begged a doc to give me doxy, retested through stonybrook labs and it came back CDC positive for IgM.

If you are in new england and have a multisymptom illness where the symptoms come and go--think lyme.

Good luck and be patient with yourself.

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 10 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do not feel so bad firepiper..Maybe we all need a laugh

I am the WORST patient of all time. I faint when they take blood...

when I had my EEG for heavens sake I kept trying to get out of it the whole time

I said "I think I will come back and do this some other time"-with all of those flashing lights and colors were driving me NUTS

I could not sit still with my eyes closed like that for some reason It made me have an anxiety like attack

and I could not just get up and go all wired up~

I asked the technician if I was the worse patient she has ever seen and she said I was the worse that day-but I am sure I am up there on her list

I made it through fine though I tend to just not be a good patient.

If you all want a REAL LAUGH-- a few years ago when I switched docs I looked up within the framweork of my insurance to find one in my hometown (Thought she was in my dad's doc practice)

when I arrived at her office there were toys and a fish tank and cartoons on the wall. I thought I must be at the wrong place.

Well, She talked with me and was sooo nice, she mentioned she does have adult patients (she is regular md) and is getting more because she is so great

she always has same day appts (so unlike my other place)

that I stayed with her!! Isn't that funny

It might have been even funnier if you saw me come out with bugs bunny bandaids on my arms a few weeks ago [Smile]

I am just a really fun type person so this is funny to me.

We could a use a sense of humor

Kristin:)

Posts: 225 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by firepipersnurse:
i don't know what ENG stands for but is a test to see if you have nsygamus when you move your eyes a certain way.

karen

Electronystagmography (ENG)

The eyes are closely linked to the inner ear; these organs depend on each other for good balance and clear vision. Head movement or other stimulation of the inner ear sends signals to the muscles of the eyes via the nervous system; this is called the vestibulo-ocular reflex, or VOR.

The VOR normally generates eye movements that maintain clear vision with head movement. Electronystagmography is a battery (group) of eye-movement tests that look for signs of vestibular dysfunction or neurological problems by measuring nystagmus (a kind of involuntary eye movement) and record other eye movements in order to evaluate certain brain functions. ENG tests are probably the most common ones administered to people with dizziness, vertigo, and/or balance disorders, although the test battery and some testing methods vary widely.

During ENG, eye movements are recorded and analyzed via small electrodes placed on the skin around the eyes. The electrodes attach to the skin with an adhesive, much like a small bandage. Alternatively, eye movements may be recorded by infrared video camera while the person being tested wears goggles instead of sticky-patch electrodes.

While the eye movements are recorded, the person being tested will be asked a series of simple questions that are meant to keep the mind busy and alert during the tests.

One ENG test evaluates the movement of the eyes as they follow a moving target. Another observes eye movements as the head is positioned in different directions. During the caloric test (sometimes called bi-thermal caloric or mono-thermal caloric), warm or cold water or air is circulated in the ear canal. The temperature change stimulates the inner ear in order to test the nystagmus response.

From VEDA publication F-6, Diagnostic Tests for Vestibular Problems.

For further information, see also VEDA publication E-8,
Common Misconceptions about ENG (Electronystagmography).

Link

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement