LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hands 'sleeping' at night

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hands 'sleeping' at night
jazzman62
Member # 9871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzman62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else have the problem where your hands constantly have that 'going to sleep' feeling at night when you are in bed? It's almost impossible to fine a position where it doesn't happen, but either it doesn't happen during the day or I'm so active during the day I don't notice it.
Posts: 41 | From Somerset County, New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keh
Member # 9089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happens to me too. I used to only have it at night and now have it in the day as well. I just recommend hands straight down with no pressure on them and when you wake up shake them out.
Posts: 35 | From baltimore, md & nj | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to happen to me a lot. Not any more after almost 2 years of abx.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this happens to me a lot. Lyme (and perhaps the coinfections) have affected the nerves throughout my body in very painful ways.

I go through phases were sometimes I wake up at night and have to shake my hands a lot, very frequently, other times it happens less often. But I've two years into treatment and it still happens.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have this real bad even when I fall asleep for
20 minutes, no feeling in hands, cannot open or
close, pins needles. Same deal have to shake
them out so I regain feeling.
Starting to get symptoms of this during the day
now as well.

Had nerve testing at Sloan Kettering - no nerve
damage, they said it was propbably caused by
an infection however it never went away. Actually
my dr. said that before he sent me for the testing. I did not question it at the time.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had tingling in my hands as I try to sleep at night and the thing that has helped is wearing wrist splints. I only wear them at night.
Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, look at the bright side, at least *some* part of you is sleeping at night.

Kidding aside, I have this a lot during the day and for me it is positional. I think it is ciruclatory - my circulation is messed up. Don't know if that is the same for anyone else but I suspect that it is the cause for some of us since low blood volume and orthostatic hypotension are mentioned in Dr. B's papers. I have both.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "ketes" love our hands. All of those little joints and nerve endings... they're having a good time.

Using your hands in repetitive motion will increase this carpal tunnel effect. If I play volleyball, guitar, sanding furniture, typing, brushing hair (where hands are elevated above heart) I got numbness. The actions stimulate the ketes and they just get on you.

Mine gradually moved from hands and forearms to up to my shoulders. I had to throw my torso weight to get arms over bed in order to feel anything. So now you're waking up all the time and have sleep disturbance

Went away once I started abx.

--------------------
Lymester

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a spell of something that resembled carpal tunnel syndrome and also a lot of numbness here and there as lyme symptoms. Treatment improved all of this.

Are you a pianist?

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always had the extremities sleeping feeling. It has resolved with treatment.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, had tingling in hands for quite some time, it also resolved with treatment. Now I got zero tingling, much easier to sleep!
Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this problem, too, but it's better now than it once was. I also have dysautonomia, with hypotension problems, which I think was the root of it for me.

I've also had trouble with it when driving, since I prop my arms on the armrests to prevent intense neck and shoulder pain.

I notice it more when I am on trips, like when I'm on the highway and not doing much but staying in my lane. I think I don't move my arms enough to keep the circulation going.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that too. It's mostly gone after almost a full year of abx. Until I was diagnosed and put on abx, however, the numbness progressed from one hand to both hands, to a whole arm, feet, legs and the final straw, when I woke up in the middle of the night w/my entire body numb. Couldn't move a muscle. I didn't even feel like I could breathe.

At that point I knew I had to find a new Dr. Otherwise I felt sure I'd be dead within months.

Patti

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this too. It has completely resolved with treatment.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, me too! Wore the carpal tunnel wrist splints to bed for a long time as well as using them to read the newspaper & magazines.

Been on lyme meds 2 yrs. now; it's better than before but still very evident! Hard to find a comfortable spot sleeping with my hands. Bettyg [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had the sleeping sensation in hands and legs. It has disappeared since I started IV last week!
Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement