LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampicin AND Flagyl?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampicin AND Flagyl?!
Xerxes
Member # 9966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xerxes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

I have a simple but important question:

Since I have lyme AND bart I'm allready taking an Antibiotic (a Makrolid) and high dosed Rifampicin.

Now: to finally get rid of the damn cysts I would like to add some Flagyl to the cocktail, but I don't know whether it is ok to take these three meds together.

I've red somewhere that especially the combination of Rifampicin and Flagyl could be dangerous...!

does someone know more about this?

big thx!

Posts: 20 | From Germany | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one website for checking drug interactions:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs

There are others, which you can find by googling "drug interactions."

If you are near a good public library, they may have a copy of the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR), a huge tome which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about most drugs.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be very careful with those two. The herxing would be pretty rough!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xerxes
Member # 9966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xerxes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, well - the page you've posted doesn't show any known drug interaction.

but does this surely mean that the combo of rifampicin and flagyl is safe? [confused]

It would give me a better feeling if someone would post here who has made his own experiences with this combination OR knows for sure if it is dangerous or not. [Smile]

by the way: the potential heavy herx is certainly NOT the problem because I tolerate the other two drugs very well, so the Flagyl would not make it SO much worse.

Posts: 20 | From Germany | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken these separately, but not together so I have no personal experience.

However, if you have never taken flagyl before, it would be good to be cautious. Many people find it works better to ramp up on the dosage....start low, just part of a pill, and work up to full dose. The first time on flagyl can be very tough, regardless of what else you are taking with it. Also, it can cause peripheral neuropathy in some people. I had to switch to tinidazole for this reason.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xerxes,

I'm in the same situation you're in and am currentlyl taking tini for the cysts, rifampin for Bart and Ceftin for Lyme.

I pulse the tini (every other week) and ramped up slowly with it at first. I did have some side effects but nothing too horrible.

I think by the time I started the tini, my bacterial load was already significantly decreased.

Hope this helps; pm if you have any other questions.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 9 months on both Rifampin and Flagyl (low dose of Flagyl - 375mg/day). The initial herxes were brutal, but not undealable. I lived, got better, and have been off abx almost 2 years.

However, I'm not a doctor, so please check with yours - it could be different for your situation.

Go slow on adding the Flagyl - and be prepared for some neuro stuff to kick up.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished an eight week combo of Rifampin/Doxy/Tindamax. Tindamax is a close cousin of Flaygl but is believed to have less side effects. I began with the Rifampin/Doxy and added the Tindamax in week four.

Prior to adding the Tindamax the Rifampin/Doxy was doing quite a number on me stirring things up all over my body. After a week of adding in the Tindamax I had a category 5 herx and was pretty miserable until stopping the Rifampin/Doxy at the end of week eight.

Doc still has me taking the Tindamax to clear any Lyme that went into cyst form from the abx's. I'm feeling much better in the week since ending the abx's and hope it lasts.

So to answer your question I don't believe its dangerous to take these drugs together just expect to feel major fatigue and really crappy for a while. Get alot of rest if posible and drink lots of water and take lots of probiotics to protect your gut. I figured the worse I felt the better it was working. Good luck.

Patrick

Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement