LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » chlorella question - herx? side effect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chlorella question - herx? side effect?
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tortiecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Chlorella on Saturday. The brand I have is Source Naturals Yaeyama Chlorella (grown in water). Each "tablet" has 200 mg. I took 2 tablets on Sat. night (30 mins B4 dinner) and had abdominal area discomfort and bloating for hours that night.

I've read alot here and decided to do what a few suggested and go slow, that's why I only took 2 on Sat. Then on Sunday I did not take the Chlorella just to see how I felt. I was fine.

Tonight (Monday), I took just 1 tablet about 30 mins B4 dinner and now the same thing is happening. I'm not in extreme pain, but pretty uncomfortable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice on how to proceed.

Thank you,
Jill

Posts: 49 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi tortiecat,

So far I have not had any bloating with the brand I have been taking. It's called E-lyte Chlorella and each pill is only 30mgs, so the max I have taken is maybe 4 at a time, a couple of times a day.

The only negative response I had at first was a headache light sensitivity with my eyes.

Wish I could be more helpful, hope the bloat goes away.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one chlorella tablet stirs up more mercury than it can absorb. When I detoxed metals, I took a minimum of 12 grams a day (1000 mg = l gram) regularly, and when I really got into serious detoxing a took a handful three times a day.

You can get more detail at www.neuraltherapy.com/articles with all the pertinetn info re Chlorella. If you are one of the few that does not tolerate it, there are other agents mentioned. Chlorella is by far the best because it is also a superb nutrient -- see all the details on Dr. K.'s website. I also just posted some of his writing re on the "Understanding Mercury" thread here on Lymenet.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tortiecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi and Beverly: Thank you very much for the replies.

I will increase my dose and see how I feel.

Beverly: I looked up E-Lyte and the bottles I saw all said 3 grams per 10 tablets or 300 mg per tablet. Is that perhaps what you are taking rather than 30 mg?

Thanks,
Jill

Posts: 49 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tortiecat,
I use the same brand of chlorella you use. All chlorella is hard to digest, even the broken cell wall kind, especially with the effect of sympathetic dominance on our GI systems.

I had unbearable problems, even with one capsule per day, and had been unable to tolerate it no matter how many times I tried for over two years, until someone told me to take a digestive enzyme with the chlorella to help break it down.

As a result of taking the enzyme cap with each dose, I am now up to 9 caps of chlorella per day, in 2 divided doses (I take it with my herbs, as instructed on the Cowden Protocol). I still had to go slow, increasing by one capsule per week, but help with digestion has made all the difference in the world.

A wonderful side-effect is that chlorella mops up toxins so well, my pain level has dropped dramatically, and the pain from herxing is barely noticeable.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tortiecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Klutzo!!! That is very helpful info. I used to take digestive enzymes, but haven't in quite awhile.

Would you mind telling me what brand of digestive enzymes you use?

klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tortiecat,

I use Nutraceutical Sciences Institute Brand, known as NSI for short. They are available only online at www.vitacost.com. It is their product #NSI30038, if you want to go check them out.

I have no financial interest in Vitacost or NSI, but since you live even closer to where Vitacost is than I do, it might be an advantage, since their delivery time is very good,important in the awful heat we have here. They are located in Jupiter, FL.

I think almost any broad spectrum enzyme that includes cellulase should work for you to help with chlorella.

I take more digestive enzymes than any other supplement, averaging 5-6 caps per day, depending upon what I'm eating. My GI system is very sensitive since getting Lyme,and I long ago lost the ability to digest anything other than hot cereal and canned fruit without enzymes.

Good luck and remember to raise the chlorella dose very S-L-O-W-L-Y! (I know this is hard. I am the most impatient person on earth, but being doubled over by cramps is not worth it)

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is good information for me. I bought a bottle of chlorella from Biopure. I started with one tablet and could not tolerate it.

In an earlier post, I likened the response to intestines that resembled balloon animals.

I put it away for awhile but now will try again with enzymes.

Thanks!

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Thanks again Klutzo for more helpful info!!!!

No problem on the going slow part. I am very sensitive to everything, so I tend to go very slow with both medicines and supplements.

Another question: how far away from ABX do you have to take the chlorella or digestive enzymes?

I do use the search function on the site and I write stuff down, but there's so much that I"m trying to learn and read out, that I'm feeling very overwhelmed. Your replies have been so much help.

Thanks,
Jill

hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also couldn't tolerate many brands of cholorella. Ended up with a brand recomended by Dr. K. here in Germany, c. vulgaris, back in April. I could tolerate that brand.

Now I can even tolerate the pyrenoidosa WITHOUT enzymes!! But I still buy mostly vulgaris. I wonder if brands I took caused me those awful stomach cramps or if just as I get better with lyme, intolerance to chlorella gets better...

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Dr. K. has told me many times, heavy metals also line the gut! and they are in the brain.

He has also told me many times --- I can say it it my sleep --- "the only way out is the way through". You can only make it as gentle as possible.

By all means, read the Neurotoxin Elimination Protocol many times (www.neuraltherapy.com/articles). He talks about the different species and other agents to use until chlorella is tolerated or if not tolerated. My grandchild eats Chlorella like candy.

Helpful are Chlorella pyrenoidosa, Chlorella vulgaris. Super nutrient value. Then, Destroxin, apple pectin, Cholestyramine, chitosan, lots of fiber drinks, ground up flaxseed (not too fine), Colonix fiber drink (Dr. Natura) -- use a variety, alternate, and make certain that you are not constipated, but keep things moving to avoid redistribution of any neurotoxins.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
klutzo:

Is the Cowden protocol working ? Are you seeing progress ?

Thanks for sharing about the chlorella and enzymes. I am on ABX and the herx symtoms are
miserable ( doxy ) . Every time I try Chlorella I feel a thousand times worse .

Is there anything that can be taken that makes the herx easier that you know of ? Does chlorella absorb the toxins ?

Thanks for your help !

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

To JILL and JENNIFER,
It is impossible for me to answer questions about ABX, since due to allergies from TH2 immune dominance, I have never been able to take any ABX. I can only speak of my experiences with herbal tx. I am not sure if ABX would be the same or not.

JILL - I don't know about ABX, but the chlorella is supposed to be taken at the exact same time as the herbals to help clear the toxins caused by the die-off. Every morning,first thing, and every night, last thing, I take either Samento or Cumanda extract, plus chlorella, plus enzymes, in 4 oz. of H20.

Before I started taking chlorella, my herxing was so unbearable, I could only tolerate 5 drops of Samento per dose. Now I can take 12 at one time and not have hardly any herx sx.

JENNIFER - Yes, chlorella helps with toxins. It has reduced my herx pain by about 85% and allowed me to raise my herbal dose up to the normal tx dose. I could never get near normal dosage before.

The only thing that limits my dosage now is neuro-herxing causing insomnia or rages, though both of those sx are a lot less now. When it happens, I back off the night time dose until it stops.

The consensus seems to be that one should not herx on Samento, but back the dose off to the dosage just below herx level, to prevent organ damage. Of course, that dose level changes with tx, so you are always walking a fine line and making adjustments.

The Cowden Protocol seems to be helping me, but I am not cured in any sense. I think I was sick and misdiagnosed far too long, unable to take any ABX, and I most likely have the HLA DR4 genotype as well, so I honestly do not expect a cure, just some help at holding the line.

I also had a severe head injury and was declared dead at the scene. It is hard to tell which problem is causing which symptoms. I do have much more energy, but that may be mostly due to the D-Ribose I take, which has raised my energy level a lot.

I modified the Cowden protocol. I do not use the Mg malate on the protocol. I use Mg citrate so as to disable the PFK enzyme that Bb depends upon. (PM Marnie or see her posts for more info on this).

I do not use the Burbur, since it did not help me, and chlorella does.

I take only half the recommended dose of Cumanda, because I have to function, and the dosage I take, which is the max dose listed on the bottle, seems to help plenty, while the double dose on the Cowden protocol makes me so sleepy I can't do the chores that I must get done.

I've been on disability for 20 years, and cannot afford to use anything that does not produce some results just because it is part of a protocol, so I experiment.

Gigi can probably answer your questions about when to take chlorella in relation to ABX, since Dr. K's protocol uses both.

Klutzo

Klutzo

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klutzu ,
your information is SOOO appreciated ! Thank you for taking the time to explain so much .

What do you think has helped you with energy
the most ?

I constantly feel fluey and extremely fatigued .

I might also mention something that I am also trying . I am taking glyconutrients ( the brand I am using is ambrotose , but there are other brands ) . Glyconutrients have been proven to
raise NK cell counts , and also improve basic cell communication , according to studies .

I have found that the ambotose at tiny doses 1/4 tsp daily , seems to POTENTIATE SIGNIFICANTLY the effect of BOTH SAMENTO AND DOXYCYCLINE . I have had to cut my ABX dose in half.

I am hearing that other lyme docs are incorporating it into their protocols. The ambrotose works almost like an ABX alone for me .

Just thought I would share this .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Klutzo,

Thank you very much for the reply. The info for both myself and Jennifer is very helpful. I will contact Gigi about the ABX.

Jill

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement