LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone with Lyme and spinal cord lesions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone with Lyme and spinal cord lesions?
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tortiecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was suggested that I post this as a separate thread from my other post (great idea - thanks).

Is there anyone out there diagnosed with Lyme disease who also has spinal cord lesions (visible on MRI)? It seems that qutie a few do have brain lesions, but I haven't seen many posts from others who have spinal cord lesions or both brain/spinal cord lesions.

Thanks.

Posts: 49 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earthsong15
Member # 7471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earthsong15   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes to both brain & spinal cord lesions.
Posts: 85 | From Eugene | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have lesions on the brain but, they were not typical lesions you'd see with MS and they were not enhanced either!!

Also have an appearance in the spine that could indicate a demyelinating disease.

I was dxs with Neuro-Lyme yesterday by my LLMD.
Started abx and last night and went to bed with the worst headache and woke up this morning with the same. Felt like crap all day.

Does anyone know if this is a herx????
Bless you all,
tic

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LostCityAgent
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have extensive areas of signal abnormality in the cervical spine. This means, several lesions.

Lesions to the spine are relatively non-specific to any one disease pathology. Other conditions can cause this, for example Multiple Sclerosis, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis, and Sarcoidosis, to name a few.

On rare occasions, those with LD can attain an acute transverse myelitis.

This is something to be watchful of and this is a key reason as to why you need to keep the disease pathology under control. Un-leashed it can, in some people, bring about ATM which can leave you paralyzed for life, tube breathing and eating from a needle.

Not all who get ATM have such a severe presentation, like myself who walked away with little severity, but in most cases et seq. is horrific.

Good Luck!
Jmcc.

For more information about Acute Transverse Myelitis (ATM) refer to the official website.

http://www.myelitis.org/

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was diagnosed with MS and we are waiting his Igenex tests but he has a clinical diagnosis if Lyme.

He has lesions on the brain and spinal cord and is responding to abx with both improvement and herxheimers.

A doctor at the 2005 Greater Hartford Lyme Conference specifically referenced a patient with lesions on the brain and spinal cord. With treatment the spinal lesions resolved, but the brain lesions stayed.

Hope this helps

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tortiecat
Member # 9357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tortiecat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks to those who replied. Yes, it definitely helps!

Jill

Posts: 49 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badkitti30043
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badkitti30043     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
Not sure if this is what you are talking about but I have hd Lyme 10 yars and was not diagnosed till 2002,Found a LLMD and underwent 15 months of IV .
I improved some initially, but eventually something worsened in my back after being on Cipro then levaquin IV for some time..I did have adverse reactions to these two ,

My pain level in back, both cervical, lumbar and hips - bilateral and wrist bi-lateral, and tendonitis in ankles/calves too ..most increased probably 20 fold while in treatment.

I have been being treated for degenerative discdisease, bi level carpal tunnel/ both wrists, and a variety of other things such as herniated nuclear pulposus, herniated cervical & lumbar disc's, spinal stenosis, radiculopathy both cervical & lumbar , the low back pain is the most severe - pain & mobility wise and over time spread to my right hip mainly and down my leg..

I just got many MRI's done in the past two weeks trying to get this all figured out once and for all.They found lesions, cysts, and masses so far- explained where below for you. I didn't list the stuff that didn't show.

1)A fluid level in the Spenoid sinus only imaged sagittally, which should be correlated with patients symptoms and could be causing headaches- the remaining sinuses are not seen on this study
Cervical

2) There is loss of Cervical Lordosis ( neck curved wrong direction- is the best I can explain that )

3)Boderline loss of water content of cervical disc's w/ bulging disc'c at the 4-5 , 5-6, 6-7 levels slightly asymmetric towards the right at the 6-7 level , bone spur in the right proximal right foramen, possibly affecting the 7th nerve root.

4) The C5-6 level shows small perhaps early sponylosis w/ slight bulging disc, w/out direct mass effect on the cord,and only a smallright unconverbral bulging disc and spur present affecting the 6th nerve root

5) c4-5 level shows minimal bulging disc w/o direct mass effect on the cord and no obvious focal formaminal encrotchment is seen.

IMPRESSION IS:
bulging disc's w/ degenerative changes at 4-5, 5-6,67 level without direct mass effect on the cord with dlightly asymmetric to the right at 5-6, and 6-7 of questionable significance in terms of Radiculopathy.

Fluid Levels noted in the spenoid sinus on sagital views, should be correlated if the patient has headaches . additional images of remaining sinuses should be performed.

LUMBAR SPINE MRI
1) L5 - S1Loss of water content of L5-S1 disc w/out encroachment on thecal sac or regional roots.

2) L4-L5 Los of water content w/out herniation or encroachment on the thecal sac or regional roots.

3) Arthritic changes involving L4-5 and L5-S1
facet joints ( I also have a prev. test which shows thickening of facet area joint- dont recall if the same area)

4) There is some MINIMAL CYSTIC ENLARGEMENT of S2 and S3 SACRAL NERVE ROOT SLEEVE AN INCIDENTAL FINDING

BI-LATERAL HIP MRI'S :
Nothing noted for bone of significance
1) LABRAL & SOFT TISSUE

a) THERE IS BILATERAL PERILABRAL CYSTS PRESENT

b) There Is a 2.0 x3.4x 3.3 cm ( Cranialcaudal x APx Transaverse) CYSTIC MASS adjeacent to the anterior -inferior right hip acetalabulum labrun. Although no definate tear is seen on the adjucent labrum on this Non contrast study, Perilabral Cysts can be associated with adjacent Labral tears. Arthography could be performs for further evaluation.

c) There is a 3.0 x 3.0 x0.8 CYSTIC LESION adjacent to the anterosuperior left acetabulum suggestive of a perilabral CYST , again no definate tear is noted but MRA ( Arthrography) could be performed for further evaluation.

WRIST was also done And it shows degenerative w/ minimal subchondral CYSTS present within the LUNATE BONE Consistant w/ Degenerative changes..
I have more results of MRI, and MRA's to come back this next two weeks as they are completed but expect to find more cysts in the thoracic area of spine as well, and will have more info later.
I am also set to see a neuro on the 19th - just hope he knows about lyme ..

All the lesions,Cysts , mass,are freaking me out as I have been in constant pain for more than 3 years , especially low back and r hip is the worst.I wonder how much theses are effecting the pain I am in?Also will get brain MRI if neurologist allows it and let you know if lesions cysts or masses are found in the there also.I expect so since its neuro lyme.

--------------------
Sandi
( badkitti30043)

Posts: 664 | From Atlanta Ga. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for more responses.

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement