LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is there Anyone here that CAN'T tolerate Artemesinin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there Anyone here that CAN'T tolerate Artemesinin?
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been tolerating the Mepron/Zith fine. But tried adding the Art, 100 mgs twice a day, and by the end of the week realized my horrid headaches and nausea might be related.

This is the second day without the Art and my headache and nausea are gone (still on Mepron/zith).

Anyone else?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Art does a number of things. It is an anti protozoa for one, which means it will go after babs and other protozoa like bugs.

Google art in connection to cancer therapy and under anti-malaria. You will find how art works within the blood to remove the affecting bug - it is very interesting.

You might also be killing of other parasites besides just the babs - this can also cause headaches.

I have had similar experience using Art. I have used it along with Babs treatment and also part of a parasite clense runs. Wormwood in general is very ant-parasitic

I no longer get any headaches when taking the art -

I also know of a few of when they added the art to the mix for babs that they also had an intensification of symptoms. You might want to back off on your dosing.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100 mg's twice a day is a very small dose. I would stick it out and see what happens after a week or so. Your Sx's will probably subside as the parasites that you are killing reducce in numbers, and then you can up your dose.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tabbytamer:
This is the second day without the Art and my headache and nausea are gone (still on Mepron/zith).

Maybe because it's working?? (nausea and headaches are symptoms of babs) I had no problems with it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
[ [/qb]

Maybe because it's working?? (nausea and headaches are symptoms of babs) I had no problems with it. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I also had headaches, some nausea on artemesinin which I thought was a herxheimera and an indication that the artemesinin was getting the Babsesia and other parasites.

I found it to be farily strong stuff. It was one of the few treatments that had me in bed for a good part of the day. I am still taking it, but hardly notice any herxheimer reaction.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added in art after four months on mepon zith and experienced intolerable herxes. It turns out I could only take 20mg a day.

I'm on round 2 of mepron zith and am doing very well with 25mg of art, so I will be increasing it but very slowly.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought you could only buy arteminisin in 100mg dose, where can you get it in 20mg? thanks for any info,
radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am THERE with you, Tabby.

My WA-1 buddy!

I did the same thing, a couple weeks of Mepron/Zith, then added Art, only at two 100 mg pills three times a day.

And WOWEEEE, did my head explode.

The good news is that after a time, the exploding head tapered down.

I would stick it out. It packs a serious punch. I wouldn't take it as a sign you can't handle it - I'd take it as a sign it's WORKING.

Wishing better times for you!

[group hug]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micul,

Please do not give the advice "to stick it out" and that "the symptoms will probably subside", to someone who says they're getting HORRIBLE headaches from 200 mg of artemisinin that it is a "very small dose".

I tried to push through several weeks'long artemisinin-induced HORRIBLE headaches (and that is such a euphemism/understatement to call them "headaches") and I feel I could've have died from them. It took a few days after I stopped for the headaches to subside.

So in short: stop the art if the headaches are so bad ESPECIALLY if they are that bad at only 200 mg/day.

I used to "push through" beyond what is reasonable with tx and I now think this is NOT a good idea.

Treating Babs can be particularly brutal and only those of us who have experienced the bad, bad, BAD reactions with Babesia treatments know what I am talking about.

I had the dreadful headaches with all anti-babs treatments (atovaquone, lariam and even doxy) but the artemisinin was by far the very WORST.

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tabby dearest,

I would be SURE to have some serious headache support meds, such as Relpax, hanging around.

My LLMD even prescribed me some pain meds, for the first time EVER, when I started Artemisinin.

The WA-1 strain has been shown to cause vascular debris and sludge.. And my experience has been it shows a preference for the brain. Hence the really horrid headaches. We know it's really hard to get rid of, so I want to hit it with every possible gun.

Maybe a pulsing schedule of art would work for you? Ask your doc... I do know that for me it tapered down a LOT within a week, from un-freakin-bearable to "OK, I can deal with this."

[kiss]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, my usual migraine/cluster headache cocktail, which includes Demerol and Toradol, didn't seem to help.

Two days off the Art, headache gone.

Still would also like to know if Art is available in smaller than 100 mg doses . . . ?

--------------------
Tabby

-

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tab

You are problely herxing from the art--

A herx is a good sign that bugs are dying--

When I herx I up my dose of meds--
doing this has served me well--

Yep it hurts but Im tired of being
sick and tired--

These is one of those sercomstances that
No pain No Gain-- No way around it--

I herxed on Art -most folks do--
gave me migrains -- about a week--

The only thing I have noticed is that if
I take Doxi and Art at the same time I Barf-

so I spread threw the day --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tabby,
I've been away and just read this now.

Anyway... I started taking Artemisinin at 100mgs at bed and on wakening. I was on no other meds when I started it. It knocked me on my @$$. Nausea, diarreah, headaches, chills, sweats, felt like my body was beat up inside and out.

I took it for 4 weeks before adding 1 Malarone and then 10 days later 400 mg Ketek. I am tolerating the Art better now but it still seems to be the strongest of the 3 meds I'm on.

(I have no idea how high my load was, I tested positive for Babs 8 years ago and was never treated. Likely had it for 20. I'm assuming I was loaded with parasites and it's working.)

If you think you want to try it again at a lower dose perhaps you could get some empty gelatin caps and split the powder into them. It may be difficult to get an exact dosage but you could roughly half (or quarter) it and see if it's any more tolerable.

Just a thought, not sure it helps, though.

DolphinLady ~ How are you splitting the Artemisinin into smaller doses?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you substitute in doxy?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tabby, I had severe headaches and nausea to the point of vomiting when I did a trial of artemesinin to see if I had Babesia. My doctor was sure it was a herx. I was sure it wasn't. I was only on the artemesinin at the time.

I later found that I had Bartonella, and there has been absolutely no clear evidence that I have any strain of Babesia. In fact, the "trial" of artemesinin may have put off treatment of the Bartonella long enough to cause permanent optic nerve damage.

I don't blame the doctor, these bugs are hard to catch. However, you have to trust how far you can and should push your body.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your experiences. It is tough to know just what to do as we are all so different with our disease.

riversinger,

I've PM'd you with a question. Thanks.

--------------------
Tabby

-

DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trueblue,

I split the powder like you suggested.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement