LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Glyconutrients ( or ambrotose )

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Glyconutrients ( or ambrotose )
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you have experience using ambrotose
or other glyconutrients ? I would appreciate your feedback.

They are supposed to raise NK cell counts , and I believe they do , because I am getting an extremely STRONG reaction from the doxycycline
I have been on . I had to cut the doxy dose in half , and I am still having a powerful herx .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jennifer,

I have bolded the glyconutrients that Borrelia requires.

Glyconutrients are composed of 8 sugars:
Glucose , fucose, galactose, mannose , xylose, N-acetylneuramic acid (sialic acid), N-acytlgalactosamine, and N-acytlglucosamine - which is contraindicated for patients with Lyme disease according to the ``Townsend Letter for Doctors'' on the biochemistry of Lyme disease below.

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

Excerpt in quotes is from link above:

``Carbohydrates Consumed by Lyme Spirochete
An effort to determine which carbohydrates Bb consumes revealed that the organism utilizes the monosaccharides glucose , mannose and N-acetylglucosamine , as well as the disaccharides maltose and chitobiose. A popular treatment for arthritis includes the administration of chondroitin sulfate and N-acetylglucosamine. If the arthritis is Lyme-induced, N-acetylglucosamine is contraindicated.22''

On a more personal note, I took glyconutrients for approximately 2 years when they were first considered cutting edge science back in 1998. I was also being treated for Lyme disease & Mycoplasma infections at the time. Looking back, I can't help but wonder if they played a part in the severity of my disease progression. I certainly never felt they helped me, not even at the time, but it now appears they might even have been harmful. Glucose is thought to be the primary fuel for Borrelia, but remember, N-acytlglucosamine (NAG) is a necessary component of the culture medium used to grow Borrelia because it gets incorporated into the spirochete's cell wall. Other research suggests that NAG may also be a source of fuel, as is mannose.

I would urge you to research Borrelia's metabolic functions much more carefully before beginning glyconutrients. It seems that glyconutrients may be contraindicated in Lyme disease. They may seem palliative, but they might also be counter-productive.

It is possible to increase NK cell count without increasing the NK cell function. Unless you are using a lab that measures both NK count and NK function, it's hard to know whether or not you are achieving anything. Way back when I was using glyconutrients, I did increase my NK cell count a little bit, but my NK function did not improve. The ID doctor I had at the time told me that increasing the number of NK cells that don't function the way that they are supposed to was kind of like increasing the number of drunken sailors on a sailing ship, because it wouldn't help me very much.

Wishing you and your doctor all the very best when it comes to deciding how to proceed.

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad you wrote about this. Someone gave me information, but I just didn't feel in my gut that it was the right path to take. I've often wondered if I made the right decision.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lonestar You are soo kind to take the time to help by sharing this.

It is certainly confusing! Would this mean that aloe vera juice is also a poor choive with lyme disease ? I take it and it is helpful for gut issues , but I do not want to feed the bacteria.

Do you mind tellin g me what you HAVE found most helpful in your efforts to get well?

I would appreciate any suggestions !

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They now claim it pushes the cysts open.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always suspect of the aggressive marketing by the company that makes Ambrotose. I tried it & found it to be not helpful. I didn't know I had Lyme back then when I was trying the Ambrotose.

Thanks for the info Lonestar. I guess this is why they tell people with Lyme to avoid sugar. It's kind of hard for me to give it up since I've had to give up so many other things in my life due to Lyme.

There are a number of other supplements you can take that increase NK cell activity. I don't advocate any products on this site but it's a good place for some info -

http://www.prohealth.com/library/powersearch.cfm?searchtext=nk&x=13&y=17

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting, Lonestar. How does one check NK cell function vs NK cell count?

There was a couple here on the board who used to post - the husband had Lyme - and they attributed his success in getting well and going back to work to taking glyconutrients (Ambrotose) and a couple of other `alternative' things. Their username here was ``Virgil and Mary''. If you are seriously considering Ambrotose or some other glyco-product, it would be worth it to send them a PM. (You'll have to type their name into the Directory search.)

Also, the glyconutrient ``galactose'' has been posted about on this board quite a bit - mostly by Gigi, as I recall - and she seemed to think it was a pretty significant supplement. I think there were a couple of other people taking it here as well, but I haven't heard much about it for awhile. Note that galactose is NOT utilized by Bb.

I tried to do a search here at LymeNet but it just won't work today. Maybe somebody will have more luck. [shake]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy I used Ambrotose for 1 1/2 years. Recently I quit taking it but felt it helped me a lot in my recovery. I haven't felt as good lately and that is the only thing I haven't been taking recently.
Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Ambrotose for some time around 1999-2001. Not consistantly, but sometimes for months at a time.

I was experiencing infrequent but severe out-of-balance feelings at the time. Ambrotose seemed to calm them down.

However, it certainly wasn't a long-term solution at all, and my functionality decreased over time.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement