LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Monocycline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monocycline
morningnewsman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morningnewsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have any experience with Monocycline? I hear it is very effective at treating neuro-Lyme, but very tough to tolerate.
Thanks,

--------------------
Thanks,
Rick

Posts: 136 | From Poughkeepsie, New York | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline works very well! Just go easy on the dosage at first. Do not start out with 200-300mg per day.

It's not any worse than any other med...but it does pack a powerful punch!!

Good luck with it!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline is the reason my main discussion with LLMD this week is going to be about how to balance and having a life.

I tolerated 200mg Mino okay, along with 2000 mg Ceftin. But then she doubled the mino dose-and the first increase to 300mg a day did me in.Thought I was going to die-seriously. I went back to 200mg a day-without even calling her.

Guess I'll have to face the music this coming thursday.

My 15 year old daughter is on 200 Mino-just started treatment. She can get out of bed and go to school-but reading her daily diary is so sad- for a teenager who's supposed to be having the time of her life.

Where's that Whammit Dammit Doll LymeMomtoo gave me- I want to whack the stuffing out of it- again-good thing she sent us a spare.

I don't know if it was a herx with the Mino or side effects, I just know life wasn't worth living in such condition.

How's that for being upbeat?

I'll let you know how the mino dilemma turns out.

CarolCobweBly

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could barely tolerate 200mg a day....and had to work up to that. No way would I have taken another med along with it.

Now we know why Carol is nuts!! [Wink] [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder I feel so horrible. I'm on 400mg mino per day. Went up about a week ago. I was already feeling terrible on 300 but I've been feeling a lot worse since going up to 400.

I wasn't sure why I was feeling so awful because I'm also on 200 mg art 2X per day and I think that is also making me feel pretty sick. Then add questran and actos. I've slowly gone up in my dose on all of these things over the past month. Makes it hard to know what is making me so sick but from what I've read on this board, it could be any of these things. I can hardly function.:-(
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morningnewsman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morningnewsman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there is a difference between Min-I-cycline and Min-O-cycline.

Anyone try Minocycline, or is there even a difference?

--------------------
Thanks,
Rick

Posts: 136 | From Poughkeepsie, New York | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morningnewsman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5987

Actually it is Mono-cycline, rather than Mini-cycline.
Anyone use Mono-cycline? I hear it is worse than Minicycline, which I have used.

--------------------
Thanks,
Rick

Cobweb
Unregistered

Okay- you just made me get out of my chair , walk to the kitchen, look at my medicine bottle-so I could confirm I am taking minOcycline.

The only Mini we have in the house is the dog-who needs flea medecine-or is that flee medecine.And is it medecine or medicine.

Wish I could just take flee medicine for Lyme -or is that Lime?

Balto Broad on Board,
CB

sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(first, a good morning to Baltimore Broad)

As far as the mino- yikes. can't imagine 400 either. I'm on 200 total a day, and that is plenty. My DR gauged the amt in part on my weight- so that is a factor in dosing but umm.. that was why my dose was as high as 200. [Frown]

It took me several weeks at least to adjust at all. Much more difficult to tolerate than amox, and I feel less well on it, but that could be because its working. Nausea and wicked heartburn and major insomnia were worst side affects for me initially, those are better now, going on to 2 full months of the stuff.

Dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Mino pulsed with Flagyll for the past 3 months, but changed to Azith and Amantidine because I felt like I was in a constant herx. I took the Flagyll one week a month and the 50mg Mino the other days. My neuro Lyme was WAY worse on this combo than it currently is. With my new combo I barely herxed and feel the best I have in 8 months.
Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I never heard of monocycline. I thought you meant mino.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I just went to www.drugdigest.com and typed in "monocycline"...all it came up with were things like Monistat and other anti-fungals...??

Drugs & VitaminsSearch results for "monocycline"

Monarc-M
Monistat 1
Monistat 3 Vaginal Cream
Monistat 7 Vaginal Cream
Monistat Vaginal Cream
Monistat-7 Vaginal Suppository
Monistat-Derm
Monk's Berry
Monk's Pepper
Monoclate-P
Monogesic
Monoket
Mononessa
Mononine
Monopril
Monopril HCT
Montelukast
Montelukast Granules
Monurol

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search to and all I came up with was highlighted mino and mono they were specific in talking about mino then there would be typeO's mono.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Maybe the pharmacist got confused....like Groovy's bottle that said "for Limes disease!"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Cobweb
Unregistered

I feel like such a woos now- I quit the higher dose mino after three days. How do you spell woos as in sissy anyhow?

And Lymtoo-if I wasn't nuts, I'd go crazy ! And you all are so tolerant. [kiss]

I've been waiting for a quiet spell in life events to try an increase in the mino again-but so far it hasn't happened.

Carol CobweB

Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cobweb,
Try Wus---that's the correct spelling. And no, I don't think you are one even if you wussed out on Mino---I read somewhere that B vitamins help with some of the side effects (dizziness, etc)

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Even low dose will get you where you want to go...in my opinion. I never took more than 200mg ...except maybe one day or so of 300mg...enough for ME!

You're not a wus!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Cobweb
Unregistered

Yeah- not only am I not a wus-but now I know how to spell it !

And I just checked the subject of this thread and it definitely says MONOcycline- which I know nothing about.

If I could only remember to take my B vitamins-perhaps I could tolerate the Mini better-now I have to confess to LLMD about the vitamin B,too.

Oh my, problem is I have been forgetting my SAMe and Acetly-L also-and I can tell. I need to go back to month one when I was diligent and kept to my written med chart.

Lyme treatment can be so confusing for the already confused. [Roll Eyes]

CarolcobweB

Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, here. Wus' do exist. I am the Queen of Wus. I have not been able to get past 12 mgs. of Mino. Then the max I have been on it is about 5 or 6 weeks. Not only am I a wus, but I'm a weeny too. There is never a good time for me to herx. I HATE herxing!

Mino can kick butt. Thankfully for me, 12 mgs seems to work wonders. I was at 85-95% remission until being thrown head first into my 50s. I have no idea how I lived with Lyme for most of my life, cuz I sure can't cope now. [bonk]

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement