LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » urgent question on Cipro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: urgent question on Cipro
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettex99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a case of Cystitis and was prescribed Cipro for it. I have never taken this class of drug before. I have taken 3 doses of 250mg. Last night after a walk I noticed pain in my tendons right above my heel, it went away. Now at 3AM I wake up red as a lobster, my skin is all tight. I can't say its a rash, but it feels like I am sunburnt. I did not walk in the sun it was late in the evening and overcast.

herxing? possible, or has others had a reaction like this with Cipro. How long does it remain in my system? I took two benedryls and so far they are not really helping much. if a herx I keep on with it,although I must say my body is very unhappy at the moment.

Other than my skin I am feeling fine, the Cipro had me feeling better than I had been in the last three weeks.

Posts: 160 | From texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro is in the class of flouroquinalone abx...
Notorious for causeing tendonitis...

The red all over look...is probably an allergic reaction to the medication...

I would contact your doc if I were you...

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettex99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once turned red like this all over when I first started Amoxicillin. I have dermatagraphia so I react to about everything. I just woke up from sleep and I feel like death. Like my brains are beng scooped out and I am going to blow up. I could be herxing, if so , this is amazing s##t to bring it on this hard so fast. Maybe I should have used caution and ramped into it like I did rifampin. Regardless, I have to back off.
Posts: 160 | From texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

I am not allergic. I just had a 10 min session of back breaking, ball busting , tetany seizures. Strong and bad enough that hubby had to hold me down to keep me from hurting myself. My skin is no longer red,it is now cool. I was having an " allergic" reaction, not to Cipro but to the toxins of a die off. Holy cow this is some good stuff. I keep taking it, but I am cutting the dose in half. I have not had a floor show like this since I first started bicillin. I wonder if it was the Lyme, or bart or both. It means that I still have a bunch yet to kill. Thanks for the feedback.
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on cipro 3 times - 1 17 months ago and I really did not get any reactions other than started to feel better. Then I had 21 days of it 2 months ago - It was hard to do 500 mg a day. I was taking 250 2x. Major emotional depression stuff - really suspected bart was the cause but some was the drug too. Then we wanted mop up one more time and started some again. One 250 mg pill started the same reaction you had. Felt like my skin was on fire, like it wanted to break a rash. Needless to say I did not take anymoe, it was just a bit to scary. Cipro the last 2 times I tok it also started to mess with my heart a bit, too stong.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Cipro-until I had an allergic reaction-full body break out in hives after first dose. Hives lasted three days. I'll take hives over seizures thank you very much!

CarolcobweB

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

well, cut a 250mg in half and in 10 minutes turned a mottled red all over, took some bendryl and thats the end of Cipro for me. Took about 12 hours to wear off last time, so hopefully by this evening I am ok, I will be drinking lots of water.
badkitti30043
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badkitti30043     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
My experience with Cipro was a very bad one for sure, I was taking a multitude of other meds at the same time for a variety of lyme symptoms,

At thetime I began CIPRO 500 mg ( 2x day) , I was on 2 weeks IV Clindamycin and doxy , the alternating two weeks was followed by two weeks IV Rocephrin- along with oral Zithromax during that two weeks.This was to continue for several months, I also was on Bextra -NSID which I have since learned through research.. that BEXTRA/ and others like it are not recommended together ww/ Cipro due to the tendon issues associated w/ Cipro and floraquinalones like it.PS... I was on IV combos of one variety or another for 15 months total.

The first day of my cipro use , Within a few hours the tendon pain in the back of my achilles tendon, and ankle joints and the back of both calves began, I could barely walk - severe pulling and tightness w/ much pain. I tried to stay home and continue to take it for a couple of days without leaving the house or doing anything stenuious including walking.

Finally I stopped both the Cipro and the doxy,I tried them seperately. to see which the culprit was, I started with Doxy 1st as I suspected the Cipro was the cause ...

I had no issues with the Doxy , then alone tried the Cipro and again immediately later that day had similar reactions. So I discontinued Cipro and continued with the doxy & my other meds.

When I saw my LLMD about 10 days later I explained I could not use the CIPRO and could not even get thru more thn few days of it , and how severe my reaction had been.

It had put me in bed actually for days.During this time shortly after I also severely injured by low back, hip region w/radiculopathy doing nothing unusual.I didn't yet connect it to the cipro .

My LLMD agreed to remove me actually from both Cipro ( which I had stopped anyway)/ and Doxy even though I had no problem with the Doxy but said we may try it again much later.Which I said no way to trying Cipro again.

I began treatment with a Chiro & md for by back/hip pain.. which was very severe.

About 1 1/2 month later the LLMD's NP tried to put me on that combo again and I explained but she insisted even if only one week a month .I felt pressured to follow the regimine they wanted me on. I complied.

I had also taken a downhill turn since the 1st use of cipro where I had seen improvements in the past on the other meds - slowly in many cases and remarkable a couple of times.But ever since Cipro

I had only gone downhill, pain in joints had increased etc, this class of drugs I have learned can affect you for many months after you use it too, and can cause much damage to tendons, joints etc that can be perm.
I continued carefully for several months with the course of meds that incl. 1 week of Cipro/Doxy each mo.

Then my Iv was changed from Iv Rocephin which I had been on mainly in conjuction with additional Ivs and oral abx. to IV Levaquin, I at that point shortly after injured my shoulder, and calf pain/tightness returned. I was stilll having all the back pain & problems that were not yt resoved.

I objected but they offered no alternative abx. via IV.Even though I reminded them that I have had repeated issues with the Floraquinalone group so far. Much which appears perm. since I am still being treated for the back etc. problems

I am still seeing Dr. for these injuries now 3 years later. Incl. Calf pain, and additional joint pain which ALL started during the cipro treatments or the levaquin IV's most is unresolved except the ankle pain continues But achiles pain has subsided.

I had serious side ffects from levaquin incl. heart pain and eventually stopped taking the IV's. I just stopped completely , they had planned to put me on orals and remove my IV at the end of the Levaquin treatment anyway,

I later found out I have kidney damage from the long term ivs and high blood presssure began while I was on the Quinalones which they chose not to treat based on the assumption that it was my meds causing it, and it should go away after the meds were done, it did not go away and I ended up going untreated for a longtime for the High BP.

I do not recall ever having the red rash thing that you spoke of, but mose surely had many odd tendon and joint promlems as a result. By the time I stoppped seeing my LLMD I was 10 times worse than when I began. I am fully disabled now both mentally & physicaly, and will be filing for SSDI this week.

Be very careful with CIPRO,or any floraquinalone.. I would never use it again for myself because of the amount of pain it has caused me- no mattter what the reason for the prescription.Too much Collateral damage.

--------------------
Sandi
( badkitti30043)

Posts: 664 | From Atlanta Ga. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettex99
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8109

geeez, Sandy thats awful. I am figuring out what is happening. I am not allergic to the Cipro, but it fried me but good. I should have started slower. I am like I am sunburnt inside and out. I can eat nothing without turning red and mottely and burn. My tongue is cherry red and its like its been scalded by hot coffee. About the only thing I can do is drink water, and eat eggs. It feels just like when I releapsed and my skin was fried for weeks. Its not quite that bad but bad enough and I have no idea how long this lastest misery will last. I am pretty sure I had a heck of a die off and maybe the Cipro is just hard on the nervous system. I can only wait this out and hope I get stuff calmed down, its going to take awhile. I am cutting back to half dose on rifampin just to give my body some kind of a break. double crapo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement