LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with Mepron!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Mepron!
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need help getting this liquid paint down. I have been on it for about three months and was doing ok, but one morning I woke up and just the thought of it made me want to puke.
I still have three months left and would appreciate any advice.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you try Malarone? It is used to treat Babesia and the consistency is much more typical.

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savebabe -

How much are you taking?

I could never take any more than 3 drops at a time - so it was never a problem for me.

Have you tried diluting it?

You're supposed to take it with some kind of fatty food -- can you somehow disguise it in that?

I'm sorry I'm not much help...

As for the malarone...my insurance company based in CONNECTICUT rejected the Rx because they claim it is not FDA approved for babesia.

What @#$% !!! So now I have to fight them if I want to take malarone.

Always fighting....with doctors, insurance companies, the state medical boards, THE @#$%ING DISEASE! It's so ridiculous!

Good luck with the liquid gold pukemaker, SB!

Hugs & [kiss]

--------------------
DR. Wiseass
NOT a real doc - just a real wise  -
 -

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only been on it a month and am finding just the sight of it becoming tougher to deal with.

As for the taste, I've always held my breath while taking it, and chase it with a spoon of peanut butter.

Would it be as effective if it was poured into those empty geletin capsules you can find at health food stores and then swallowed?

Probably take way too many capsules to get one dose into, though.

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried malarone for the babs but it was to hard on the stomach. Once again I puked. Now I am on 3 tsp on mepron daily, IV zith, art 3 capsules and lariam, 1 capsule every 5 days.
This is my third relapse with this parasite and that is why my treatment is so aggressive.
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took mepron for 6 mos, and dreaded every drop. Tried chasing it with everything from peanut butter to olive oil (ok, the olive oil was a little too yucky for me, but someone suggested it, so I tried it!)...

Chasing it with milk worked best for me, but I have to admit that the thought of that now makes me a little queasy...

I'm on malarone now, and it seems to be easier for me, thankfully.

Hope you find something that works for you - hang in there.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron is a funky color, but I don't think it tastes all that bad.

I've only taken it for 2 1/2 weeks though, so...maybe I'll think differently in a few months! [Wink]

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

This is my third shot at kicking the babs. Does anybody out there have a success story?
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
savebabe, check out liz28's post here

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045970

My symptoms for babs have just now resurfaced also. [Frown]

Stella Marie

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

My mepron tastes perty good--

Try drinking some Quinine tea--
then you will realize what
Really Bad tastes like-Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymies3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymies3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I did four different rounds with Mepron. While it doesn't take good in any way shape or form, I never had a problem. Maybe I should consider myself lucky.

--------------------
Toodles,
Sal

Posts: 195 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymies3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymies3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by savebabe:
This is my third shot at kicking the babs. Does anybody out there have a success story?

Savebabe - As I'd said a minute ago, I did four rounds of Mepron/Zith. It helped me immensely. The question wound up being if I had any other co-infections that hadn't shown up or if once the Babs was getting better if Lyme wasn't kicking in. The LLMD med records reminded me that when I'd go off-round, symptoms would come back. Eventually that got lots better.

--------------------
Toodles,
Sal

Posts: 195 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 4 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my son tried malarone, but we discovered that you can take a higher dose of the atovanquin (mepron)than you can the Atovaquone/Proguanil (malarone) because of the second component in the malarone. My son's babesia has been very difficult to cure so we go for the stronger stuff (plus artemisinin) at this point [Mad]
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was posted on lymenet, anyone have any info on this ? PM me, Al

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004 Jan;48(1):236-41. Related Articles, Links

Growth-inhibitory effect of heparin on Babesia parasites.

Bork S, Yokoyama N, Ikehara Y, Kumar S, Sugimoto C, Igarashi I.

National Research Center for Protozoan Diseases, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Inada-cho, Obihiro, Hokkaido 080-8555, Japan.

We examined the inhibitory effects of three heparins on the growth of Babesia parasites. The multiplication of Babesia bovis, B. bigemina, B. equi, and B. caballi in in vitro cultures and that of B. microti in vivo were significantly inhibited in the presence of heparins, as determined by light microscopy.

Treatment with various concentrations of heparin showed complete clearance of the intracellular parasites. Interestingly, a higher percentage of abnormally multidividing B. bovis parasites was observed in the presence of low concentrations of heparin. Furthermore, fluorescein isothiocyanate-labeled heparin was preferably found on the surfaces of extracellular merozoites, as detected by confocal laser scanning microscopy.

These findings indicate that the heparin covers the surfaces of babesial merozoites and inhibits their subsequent invasion of erythrocytes.

PMID: 14693545 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement