LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mold inspection question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mold inspection question
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I just call a regular home inspector for this or do I need to look for certain certifications? We suspect that our 8yo daughter's health issues are mold-related and want to remedy any problems.

Also, which air cleaners are good? I'm planning on getting a dehumidifier for the basement, but would like to run an air cleaner in her bedroom at night.

Thanks!

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for comments by the mold experts.
Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorthernLyme1
Member # 8992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penn, I have dug up some info that will hopefully be of use. You will need to hire a Certified Mold Inspector.

A true hepa air purifier could be helpful. I just purchased a Honeywell Enviracaire model that really pushes the air through on the turbo setting. It can screen out particles down to 0.3 microns in diameter that should suffice for mold spores.

Beware of mold inspection scams as, for example, discussed at
web page by going to the pdf document at the bottom left corner.

Additional info re the difference between a home inspector and certified mold inspector is pasted below.

Mold Inspections

What's the difference between a mold inspection and a home inspection?

A regular home inspection will indicate:

�Moisture stains

�Water damage

�Basement leaks

�Roof leaks

A regular home inspection will NOT indicate:

�Mold growth behind walls, ceilings, and insulation

�Types of mold growing in the home

�Humidity levels from room to room to detect hidden moisture problems

�Moisture content of drywall, hardwood floors, window sills

Who should have a MOLD inspection for their home?

It is important to have a mold inspection done on a home when the home inspector or the buyer suspects or detects the following:

�Showers, sinks, bathtubs, toilet leaks

�Previous roof or basement leaks

�Water stains, new or old on ceilings, floors, or walls

�Cold storage area has visible mold

�Any room has visible mold

�Rooms have a musty smell

�Excessive staining on carpeting

�Home was used as a rental property

Mold inspections should be performed regardless of the home's age, new or old, mold only needs 24 hours to grow, not 50 years. If the home was a tenanted property it is more likely that the tenants did not report water leaks. Homes that were tenanted are also more prone to being part of marijuana grow operations.

If you are concerned for you and your family's health you should have a mold inspection.

Mold can cause the onset of the following symptoms as well as elevate any existing physical conditions :

Allergies, asthma, bleeding lungs, breathing difficulties, cancer, central nervous system effects, colds, recurring and with decreased resistance to infection, coughing and resulting sore lungs or chest from excessive coughing, coughing up blood, dandruff problems (chronic) that don't go away despite use of anti-dandruff shampoos, dermatitis and skin rashes, diarrhea, eye and vision problems, fatigue (chronic, excessive, or continued) and/or general malaise, feeling lost or "disconnected" from what's happening around you, flu symptoms, hair loss, headaches, hemorrhagic pneumonitis, hives, hypersensitivity pneumonitis (extrinsic allergic alveolitis, farmer's lung disease), irritability, vomiting, itching of the nose, mouth, eyes, throat, skin, or any area, kidney failure, learning difficulties or mental functioning problems or personality changes, memory loss or memory difficulties/Alzheimer-like symptoms, open skin sores and lacerations, organic dust toxic syndrome, peripheral nervous system effects, redness of the sclera (white of your eyes), runny nose (rhinitis), clear, thin, watery mucus from your nose may appear, suddenly, or thick, green slime coming out of nose (from sinus cavities), seizures, sinus congestion, sinus problems, and chronic sinusitis, skin redness, sleep disorders, sneezing, sneezing fits (more than three sneezes in a row, happening often), sore throat, tremors (shaking),verbal dysfunction (trouble in speaking),vertigo (feelings of dizziness, lightheadedness, faintness, and unsteadiness)

Posts: 59 | From Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok what do you do if you live in an apartment building?

I have a one piece shower unit in my bath room, above it on the wall part I always notice mold, I srubb it with bleach?

The inner shower curtain at times contains this mold as well, I often change that completely.

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I've dealt with this issue recently & posted about it--search under my member number.

The main benefit of getting a licensed mold tester is for them to do air sampling (not plate samping). This tells you what is actually in the air you're breathing.

You can probably do just a good a job with the visual inspection for moisture damage and mold as an inspector.

If you hire a mold inspection company, make sure that they just do inspections, NOT remediations. There's too much of a conflict of interest if a company does both.

And again, I HIGHLY recommend Jeffrey May's book The Mold Survival Guide. Very informative and no-nonsense about how to detect, prevent and remediate mold.

Also see my recent posting about air purifiers.

As for your daughter's room, one the best things you can do to fight mold is to remove wall-to-wall carpeting. Also get rid of extra pillows and mountains of stuffed animals, and take all bedding to a laundromat to wash at 180-200 degrees to get rid of dust mites & other irritating gunk. That should help improve the air quality of her room.

Good luck!!!

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw your post Ladylee. It sounds like you have a ventilation problem in your bathroom. Reduce moisture by installing a ventilation fan, or by opening a window.
Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorthernLyme1
Member # 8992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladylee, I would use either Lysol or try spraying with Hydrogen Peroxide (3% solution from drug store) continually for a week or so. When using the latter, you should notice a fizzing action as the chemical reacts with the mold.

Bleach apparently is only temporarily effective for most molds. I applied bleach to mold encrustations that grew on subfloor materials near a plumbing leak. Several weeks later, after the bleach had long dissipated, a new colonies of mold began to sprout.These are tough organisms for sure.

Posts: 59 | From Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both for your responses.

My bathroom does not have a window but does have a fan.

I will try those 2 items you mentioned.

I do have central air and about 2 months ago I had all the vents cleaned out by a pro, he sprayed them with a germacide kinda thing. That did help.

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Ladylee,

If it's too cold to open a window, you could also get a dehumidifier. My sister got one for her constantly damp bathroom in San Francisco, and no joke, she can pull a gallon of water out of the air every day!!!

Bathrooms & kitchens tend to be prime spots for mold because of the high moisture in the air from showers, cooking, etc. Take care!!!

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NorthernLyme1:

Mold can cause the onset of the following symptoms as well as elevate any existing physical conditions :

Allergies,
asthma,
bleeding lungs,
breathing difficulties,
cancer,
central nervous system effects,
colds,
recurring and with decreased resistance to infection,
coughing and resulting sore lungs or chest from excessive coughing,
coughing up blood,
dandruff problems (chronic) that don't go away despite use of anti-dandruff shampoos,
dermatitis and skin rashes,
diarrhea,
eye and vision problems,
fatigue (chronic, excessive, or continued) and/or general malaise,
feeling lost or "disconnected" from what's happening around you,
flu symptoms,
hair loss,
headaches,
hemorrhagic pneumonitis,
hives,
hypersensitivity pneumonitis (extrinsic allergic alveolitis,
farmer's lung disease),
irritability,
vomiting,
itching of the nose, mouth, eyes, throat, skin, or any area,
kidney failure,
learning difficulties or mental functioning problems
or personality changes,
memory loss or memory difficulties/Alzheimer-like symptoms,
open skin sores and lacerations,
organic dust toxic syndrome,
peripheral nervous system effects,
redness of the sclera (white of your eyes),
runny nose (rhinitis),
clear, thin, watery mucus from your nose may appear,
suddenly, or thick, green slime coming out of nose (from sinus cavities),
seizures,
sinus congestion,
sinus problems,
and chronic sinusitis,
skin redness,
sleep disorders,
sneezing,
sneezing fits (more than three sneezes in a row, happening often),
sore throat,
tremors (shaking),
verbal dysfunction (trouble in speaking),

vertigo (feelings of dizziness, lightheadedness, faintness, and unsteadiness)

Hope this helps other neuro lymies trying to read this good list of MOLD symptoms! I couldn't read as is.

Wonderful info you provided! THANKS SO MUCH!
Bettyg [Big Grin] [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorthernLyme1
Member # 8992

Betty, thanks for reshuffling the listing of mold symptoms as I neglected in haste to get the info out.

Certainly a staggering list of symptoms and many of us likely have mold issues to deal with on top of Lyme.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NL, you are most welcome; the list of symptoms was too important not to overlook when having so many to chose from! [Big Grin] Bettyg [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement