LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin LA Coverage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin LA Coverage
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interested in any stories people have on getting Bicillin covered by insurance. Has it generally been covered or not? My insurance will cover it if I do it at the doctor's office each time but that does not work well with my work schedule. They will not cover it if I do the injections myself. Any experiences would be welcomed.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's away I can file through "Major Medical" for 80% reimbursement. They will not cover it under the pharmacy plan.

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My insurance also rejected me.
Any good idea on the matter would be welcome.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine covers it without any problem just like any regular Rx. I don't see how they can decline it? What would be the difference between Bicillin and Mepron or Zithro as long as your Dr wrote a script for it?

The only thing my Insurance won't cover is for something like Human Growth Hormone.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say they won't cover intramuscular injections which is silly since they cover my subcutaneous Heparin. I think if I get it done at the dr. each time, they will pay for some of it, but that doesn't work with my work expectations. So I am pushing to get them to cover it so I can do it myself....

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and it is covered. I'm sorry to hear that your having difficulty. It seems to be doing wonders for me. My phobia/fear of bridges and heights has suddenly disappeared all together after being on the bicillin for two months. I can hardly believe it. I am feeling much better as well.
Unfortunately what works for one doesn't always work for another. I have only positive things to report with this drug.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

I'm on an individual Blue Cross PPO and was denied - I had to pay completely out of pocket full cash price. Yet I know another Lyme patient in my city with a Blue Cross PPO - but a group plan and they cover it.

I filed a grievance against Blue Cross, including all kinds of back-up about my being a neuro Lymie, Bicillin having almost equivalent results as IV and that we were trying this to postpone or avoid IV, we all the medical reasons it was being used on me -and that they obviously had different standards of care if they wouldn't cover me but covered a fellow Lyme patient who lives 10 minutes from me with even less severe symptoms than mine.

My grievance was denied. I have to go the State board but am too busy right now with other family problems. And they sent me a copy of their Lyme guidelines saying intramuscular injections are experimental for Lyme. But again, they cover other Lyme patients for it.

But FYI, the clinic where I go to use the nurse to give me the injection (I would bring the Bicillin, she would just give the injection) was able to order a box, bill Blue Cross for the Bicillin and the nurse's fee, and they are now paying a part - I still have a pretty hefty co-pay per shot - but so much less than what I was paying just for the Bicillin before.

Unfortunately, this was probably a onetime thing that they could even get the Bicillin for me. They hadn't been able to before. I had to always go through the beg, plead, send paperwork and coordinate between King Pharmaceuticals, a retail pharmacy and a distributor to even get the stuff.

What kind of insurance do you have?

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Thanks all for the information!

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Scott,

My son's Human Resource called his insurance and got this covered for him. It might be worth a try.

My son had a constant herx from the Bicillin. He had to stop the injections. Hope things work out for you.

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scott...
You can get a prior authorization form for the Bicillin from your doctor, have the MD write
"self-injection OK" on the form so that the insurance company will approve you doing the injections at home yourself. You will need the Tubex injector along with it.

Thats what did the trick for me. They gave me the BS about it having to be done at a Dr. Office too...
once they wrote that note, I got it approved and did them myself.
Hope you are doing well [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Perfect. Having the doctor try that tomorrow. Thanks Wildcondor. [Smile]

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If wildcondor's suggestion doesn't work, then consider contacting your state insurance commission. That seems to be what has helped me the most.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoVAChick
Member # 9814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoVAChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a good experience contacting my state's Ombudsman for Managed Care regarding insurance coverage (but for Rocephin, not bicillin). I was told that if the employer has a fully-insured plan and the policy is written within my state, the insurance commission can help with coverage issues at no cost.

If the plan is self-insured (like my employer), there is someone within Benefits (I think a Benefits Broker?) who can override the insurance company's denial. The reason for this is that in a self-insured situation, the employer pays the claims and hires a 3rd party plan administrator. The employer, in this situation, actually has the final say. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. And, ironically, I work for a pharma company!!! So now I am working with a lawyer to appeal.

Posts: 48 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoVAChick
Member # 9814

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoVAChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received a prescription for my bicillin LA shots and asked my pharmacy (in the grocery store) if they carry them. I was told they did not. My PCP is going to give the shots to me, but my LLMD in NJ wrote the prescription. Where do I go to get the shots to give to my PCP to give to me? Thanks!
Posts: 48 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement