LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » To Those DXed with MS ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Those DXed with MS ...
Monica
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How was your diagnosis made? What tests did you have and what did they show? Were you later dxed with Lyme and/or co-infections?

Thanks for your input!

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Monica,
My husband was dx'd with MS in 2004. He had a sinus infection, was given abx and steroids by GP. Felt even worse and was referred to an ENT. ENT said his symptoms sounded "neurological."

An MRI showed multiple white matter lesions on brain and spine. Evoked potentials were abnormal for vision and hearing. Spinal Tap- no oligoclonal banding but elevated leukocyte count. Labcorp Western Blot was negative.

We were just absolutely clueless and followed the party line like good soldiers. Finally, we wised up and learned a lot about abx and MS and decided to give it a go. Lo and behold on doxy and zith, major herxheimers and he started to feel better (when he wasn't feeling awful).

After 8 months of self-treating (I don't recommend this, but it was our reality)we made an appt with a LLMD in Ct---awesome guy. Did all of the lab work, but given my husband's history he dx'd him on the spot and we continued the abx at higher dosages (still working up and adding Tini later). Igenex test came back negative but IgG had IND for bands 31, 39 and + for 41. IgM was only IND for 41.

What is astounding to me is that the neuro never even considered Lyme in the differential dx of my husband. To him a negative WB form labcorp meant my husband did not have lyme.

He never bothered to ask my husband about his lifestyle--we lived in the Lehigh Valley in Pa, for goodness sake. We had spent the previous year clearing a heavily wooded 2 acres around our house. My husband spent hours in the woods and fields of Pa as a youth and spent a good chunk of a couple summers fun at one of the country's most Lyme endemic military bases--Quantico, Va--where he had scads of ticks embedded.

Sorry, my frustration is showing through here!

This is our story and I'm sticking to it [Wink] .

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dxed with MS due to: 2-3 small lesions showing on brain MRI, IgG in my cerebrospinal fluid (oligoclonal bands), optic neuritis and a negative ELISA for Lyme.

4 years later I was dxed with LD with a CDC positive IGeneX Western Blot. I was seronegative for coinfections but several months into tx tested positive for Babs. 1.5 years into tx I was feeling a lot better but still had some lingering sx, I read Scott F's summary of a 6/06 (I think) conference where Dr. B listed Bart sx and the lightbulb went off: the soles of my feet were sore - a Bart sx. I requested Bart tx and have been herxing mightily and increasingly for the past 10 weeks.

I'm now told that I should be feeling much, much better in the few months. If the herx is an indication, the Levaquin is getting at those lingering sx.

Lyme tx is hard but it's so much better to have something treatable!
D

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your responses.

The reason I ask is that there is no doubt I have Lyme, but the LLMD and neuro I am seeing think I (may) also have MS.

However, my MRI did not show lesions, but "abnormalities" in the white matter.

What were your symptoms?

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement