LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » papules now possibly abx resist staph aureus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: papules now possibly abx resist staph aureus
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently have had a sore throat for a week.
it did go away when i started vantin, a fourth generation abx, thinking it might be strept.

the sore throat got a little better ,
however the little pimples on my back have not
AND ARE GETTING WORSE.

my doc is jewish so no doc until tommorow.
my concern was scarlet fever.
has anybody had these symptoms.

present meds biaxinxl, plaquenil, trazadone, zoloft, trileptal, clonazapam, and restasis
for my eyes.
docdave

[ 03. October 2006, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: stymielymie ]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i too have had a sore throat. doc said it was strep but i'm not so sure.

left side is very dark red white a white area and it is very very painful to swallow. my lymph node is swollen and hard.

right side has one area that is dark red but is not as sore.

how does yours look?

doc gave me nystatin and ceftin, or rather, he increased the ceftin to 500 twice a day instead of 250 twice a day.

am feeling a little better but not much.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doc must swab of area to confirm strept.

sounds like you might have tonsilitis if you still have tonsils.

red glands in back of mouth at the back pillars
of the throat are tonsils.

when infected they cause lymph nodes along neck
to be swollen.
tonsels are nothing more than large lymph nodes
for infections of the head and neck.

throat swab sjould be done if any chance of strept, cause it can spread throughout your system.
docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DocDave!

I had little teeny tiny pimples all over my abdomen during amoxy and I just got them again toward the end of 21 days Mepron/Zith. I think I had them on legs a bit too on Amox? I'm going to ask LLMD about them Thurs.

Would you describe yours as tiny?

[confused]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your new nam stymie...

I have had a white headed sometimes going to a black pinpoinnt center then very dry like psoryasis type of sking thingy....

Had it biopsied and the VA told me it's some kinda contact dermatitis...

Of course I don't belive them...
I have also been told it's due to my arthritis...

Also told it's a fungus from being diabetic(which I was just recently diagnosed as having)pre diabetes...

So....in conclusion doc....I have'nt a conclusion....sorry..........zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

just came from llmd
ran blood cultures and some new test
Also ran throat culture.

he thinks it may be a superinfection of staph
aureus not strept. as previously though.
relieved not strept but staph a is just as bad
if not worse.

doc is also infectious and travel medicine
he thinks it may be a resistant new strain
of staph going around that is resistant to normal abx.

put me on bactrimDS for ten days
blood and throat culture will be back in 2 days.
meanwhile the vantin i took from sat to today has decreased the sore throat and breakouts
on the back, but today they came back.

will know for sure in two days
hope its just heat rash and reaction to meds,
but he didn't think so.

docdave

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doc dave... I'll be curious to see if your lyme and coinfects go into remission after a few days on the bactrim.

It's happened to a lot of us and we can't really figure out why this happens...BTW you may have a hard time sleeping the first couple of days.

charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any throat issues but I do have the "acne".

For a long time I've had moderate facial, back shoulders and chest acne. It not horrible, but it is persistant and while Proactive helps a bit, nothing has provided the same level of clearing up as other young people have experienced. Since I'm only 22 and this has been going on since I was 13 or so, for the longest time I thought it was just teenage acne and part of it might very well be. However, I think the lyme has a hand in it and I'm not sure what it is...

Antibiotics havn't made it any better, but it sometimes fluxuates getting better and worse by itself over time. However, when I take Zithromax there is a very different sort of skin condition that arises...

My face doesn't get worse, but on my chest and back I tend to get tiny little pimples, rashy types... LLMD isn't sure if its a herx, a reaction to the drug itself, or what. After more than two months or so on the Alinia/Zithromax combination, the "rash" has improved for apparently no reason, but its still present. This is the second occurance of noting this sort of acne-like rash - the first being when I was on Zithromax/Mepron. No other antibiotics or various drugs I've taken seem to give this effect.

I'm fairly sure my bad skin is related to lyme somehow, but I just don't know how. Short of Accutane, I've tried just about everything to treat the symptoms while treating the lyme.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chicago_bird
Member # 9301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chicago_bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blackstone --

I have a rash from the Zithromax too -- it sounds just the same: pimply rash on my chest and back. I never had it before I started on the zithro.

I'm glad to hear that you've had this rash and it hasn't caused you any serious problems. I was afraid I was allergic to the antibiotic, and it was going to cause me to croak!

chicago bird [Wink]

--------------------
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.

-Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Posts: 69 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

nope still here elfing along.

did not die yet but my epitaph will read

HERE LIES DOCDAVE
HE WOULD NEVER BEHAVE
HE TRIED TO GET TREATMENT
BUT IDS GUIDLINES BET HIM
NOW HE LIES WITH NO ABX IN HIM

LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HeHe... Thanks for the laugh Stymie!!!

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gabby
Member # 10647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gabby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This rash issue really interests me. I have been dealing with rashy skin for about 3 yrs. and no one has been able to figure it out. My derm. has even brought in other derms to look at it, and they are just scratching their heads. I had a culture of a pustule and a biopsy done. Neither of which confirmed a diagnosis. They try to tell me that it's sterile folliculitis, b/c they simply don't have any other explanation. I whole-heartedly disagree with them. This rash is just too strange.

When I search for lyme related rashes, all I can find are the traditional EM rashes. This is not like an EM rash, at all. It started out as a pinpoint rash all over my body that has faded with time. I thought maybe.. "Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever".. But, I don't recall the high fever, and even though the rash has seemed to change its form to a more subtle state, it seems to have become a chronic condition.

My skin is pink with inflammation, especially brought out by heat exposure. It feels inflamed and uncomfortable, kind of picky. I feel chilled all the time b/c my skin is warm from being ever-so-slightly inflamed.

I get the tiny pustules on my forarms, face, neck, back and inner thighs. I also get the larger, acne like erruptions in the same places. The larger erruptions tend to take weeks, even months to go away. And some have left scars or purpelish marks, especially on my inner thighs. I had a horrible erruption on my inner thighs this past summer. The derm gave me a prescription abx cream to try. It dried up the larger acne like erruptions (which left purple marks), but the rash still exhists.

I've also had ongoing occurences of sore throats, with swelling and white pus-like erruptions in the back of my throat, that has been off and on for some years. I've had it cultured for strep, but tests were negative.

These symptoms have me banging my head against a wall, b/c no one has been able to give me a difinitive explanation.

Dry skin creams only seem to make it worse, or at least, more itchy.

It's nice to know I'm not alone with the crazy skin rash thing going on.

gabby [confused]

Posts: 31 | From US | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement