LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What I hear is "wha, wha, wha, wha"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What I hear is "wha, wha, wha, wha"
Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is my hearing going or is there a glitch between my ears and my brain. Sometimes when I am herxing or just run down, I can have such a hard time talking to people because I can't understand what the heck they are saying.

It reminds me of a Charlie Brown cartoon, because all, I hear is "wha, wha.....wha, wha?"

This sometimes actually happens in a similar way with identifying what I am seeing. It could be a face, a picture, a scene, and I just can't figure out who or what I am looking at.

If this is part of Lyme, I would really like to get rid of it. Even though I feel so much better, the cognitive part is what still lingers.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya Jellbelly (no pun intended) [Wink]

I have had this problem so bad, it is very irritating. Seems like I'm always saying what??? Its so hard especially when there are other noises going on. But the weird thing is I can hear the slightest high pitched noise that no one else can..... I just tell ppl I'm part dog. [lol]

And the same thing with my vision, but I do notice that these thing are worse for me right after I take my abx at the beginning of the week then it gets better. (I take abx only once a week) So I can actually see a difference.

Hope it gets better for you too.

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzman62
Member # 9871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzman62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the same thing happen a few times to me (it's not constant though).

If there are number of stimulations, like people talking at the same time, I can't separate them.

Neuro-lyme can sometimes be actually worse than 'physical' or 'arthritic' lyme (I've had both).

Posts: 41 | From Somerset County, New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem. I am always asking people to repeat themselves, especially on the phone. I also get easily distracted by any background noise.

I do my best to be near people when they are talking and try to avoid being around too many distractions. Of course, that isn't always possible.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the inability to screen background noise - I always have, since I was a child (very likely I had lyme then). I can also hear super high pitched noises that most people can't -- particularly during a flare -- things like the buzz from flourescent lightbulbs, computer monitors, etc.

Lyme messes with the auditory processing -- of this I am sure.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that it isn't that I don't hear people speaking, it is as if they are speaking a foreign language. What they are saying is just jibberish. It helps if I can see their lips, so I can see what they are saying.

It's odd for sure. Maybe it is a hearing problem, maybe I am missing certain tones of what they are saying and just getting bits and peieces.

So what next.....hearing aids????

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jellybelly:
It reminds me of a Charlie Brown cartoon, because all, I hear is "wha, wha.....wha, wha?"

OK Jelly. It's time to face the music [no pun intended!] YOU'RE JUST PLAIN NUTS!!! [lol] [woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

What.....you don't think I know that already? I am here with all of you aren't I? [lick] Isn't this just a can of mixed nuts?
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jelly,

Is there any possibility that you are having some type of seizures?-- maybe absence seizures?

Hubby used to have a very similar problem -- he wouldn't completely black out, but he wasn't fully conscious either. After I would give him the IV Ativan and/or the IV Glutathione he would become more alert and he could hear me again --

during these seizure-like episodes sometimes he would repeat things over and over or just talk gibberish, but if I talked to him he would tell me that all he could hear was wha wha wha.....

The IV Primaxin seems to finally have resolved this problem. He still has some sound sensitivity, but it is greatly diminished.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Bea, seizure, interesting thought. I had someone who witnessed one of my brain fart moments asked if I might have had some kind of a seizure.

What happened is, we were all getting into a truck, and I couldn't find my little clip on sun glasses. They were kind of expensive, so I didn't want to lose them. I preceeded to go into kind of a frantic search for them. As it was happening I felt like I knew what I was doing. At one point someone said are these them. I quickly said no, and continued to frantically look for them. I was looking under the truck, all over.

Then all of a sudden I see them, and go, oh there they are, but it was the very glasses that I was asked if these were them.

As I spotted them I realized what had just happened and I remember everything that happened, but I was kind of in another world. It's hard to explain. I was kind of overly focused on the task at hand, to the point that even though I could hear what was being said to me, I wasn't reacting, to busy searching.

A few minutes later, my friend said to me, I wonder if you had some kind of seizure. That was about 4 years ago, and I have had similar type things happen maybe 2 times since. It's odd, because I remember everythinhg I do, but at the same time, I think, "What the heck were you doing?" [loco]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jellybelly:
Isn't this just a can of mixed nuts?

Yeah, that's the reason for my craziness, I'm sure!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to all. Happens to me during stress.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a shot in the dark, but what you described could also be a type of processing problem. You heard it, but you didn't process it. [confused]

When I am more fatigued I have this type of problem. In education we call it an auditory processing deficit.

For years I taught students who had been identified with this problem, but it wasn't until I became severely ill that I understood what it meant. [Eek!]

I also experience many other processing problems, as I am sure many of you do, too.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement