LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » weird thought about vaccines...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: weird thought about vaccines...
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking about vaccines --

I've been vaccinated against measles/mumps/rubella numerous times now... the reason being that the University I attended required either vaccination or proof of immunity if I was to be allowed to attend. I didn't have ready access to my childhood medical records, so I opted for an antibody test instead -- I showed no antibodies, so I got the vaccine through the university. They then required that I be re-tested for antibodies (or risk expulsion) and so I did -- no antibodies again. I think this happened four or five times (over a 6 year period) before I finally managed to graduate with my master's degree. (I also know for sure that I was vaccinated as a child.) I hate to think about all the stuff that was injected into me with all that vaccinating...

My nagging question... why don't I make antibodies to the vaccine? Is this a lyme thing? I was just dx'ed with Lyme early this year after being sick for decades....

I wonder if this is true for other lymies?

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
national catastrophe
Member # 10011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for national catastrophe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be that their test isn't capable of measuring some people's antibodies... Like the Lyme test usually can't find antibodies.
Posts: 57 | From the middle of a pandemic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe your immune system is too suppressed to make antibodies to anything.

What is the antibody test called??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember, honestly -- it was done through student health. when this thought hit me this morning, I was thinking perhaps immunosuppression was the problem.

I am obviously making some antibodies, though -- for example to Bb-- I tested positive on 9 bands of the IgM western blot!! (After being ill for at least 18 years...)

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the first 19 years that I was sick I was diagnosed with CFS. I was told by CFS doctors to not get a flu shot. First, they were making many CFS people sick and second CFS people didn't make any antibodies to it anyway. Maybe it's the same thing with Lyme.

I haven't had a tetanus shot in 11 years because the last one made me feel like dying for about six months. My lyme doctor said that the shot can make you sick.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting topic - I don't know what to think....

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was vaccinated for the measles when I was a child and got the measles when I was in high school.

I also was diagnosed with the chicken pox twice as a child, even though they say it isn't possible.

So, I am pretty sure something is broken.

gambler

Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement