LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Too much Vitamin B12?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too much Vitamin B12?
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I searched to see if anyone has already posted in regards to this, but I was wondering of those of us Lymies taking vitamin B12 supplements (orals, injections, ect), has anyone every experienced side-effects related to taking "too much"? [confused]

I was under the impression from my LLMD that you couldn't have too much B12, but the more I read, the more I see that it can cause neurpoathy.

I am concerened that my B12 levels are too high. I experience VERY bad itching EVERY night, for which I have to take 100mg of Benadryl. I was instructed to take 1 sublingual B12 tablet and a B complex vitamin everyday, as well as an IM injection 2 to 3 times a week. I proceeded with this routine for approx 1 and 1/2 months and then began to get the itching really bad. I stopped the injections and then 2 weeks later had my b12 levels checked. It was 2000, with 200-900mcg/ml being "normal levels".

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? I really appreciate it!!

~Amy

Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,
My B-12 levels were on the low side in 2004, around 250.

With sublingual B-12 I raised my levels to 1400, above the normal range. I was worried, but my doctor reassured me and I didn't experience any side effects.

You do seem to be on a number of forms of B-12? Any reason for the taking B-12 in three forms?

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,

Did the Dr. test your levels before giving you the IM B-12? Find out if folate was an ingredient
looks like it causes itching you could have too
much of that. B-12 has no real known toxicity as
far as I know. You obviously do not need it.

Are you still having itching after stopping the
IM's?

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillybean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have pernicious anemia, which means my body doesn't produce intrinsic factor, which means I can't absorb B-12 in any way other than IM/sublingual. This deficiency CAN cause peripheral neuropathy (which I actually HAVE).
I was told by a pharmacist that if you take too much B-12, the body has a way of ridding itself of it. It seems as though you are taking a lot -
I would call my LLMD or GP and check. I'm lucky if mine stays in the low 200 range!
Good Luck!
Jill

Posts: 203 | From Jacksonville, FLorida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy --

I get bad itching, too -- don't quite know why. I used to get it once in a while (before tx) and thought it was yeast related -- it was usually when I would detox for yeast.

This last bout of itching, my NP thought it might be a toxic reaction to the abx I was on, so I am off them now, and the itching is much better than it was.

Any chance it has nothing at all to do with the B-12?

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I googled and saw something about some people having alergies to B-vitamins? I lost where it was. Sorry.

There was also something about a preservative in the injections that can cause allergic reaction. You might want to check that out, too.

I did find this great link:
How stuff works- B-vitamins

I hope you figure it out & feel better soon!

[Big Grin]
Ali

[ 09. October 2006, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebaby
Member # 5761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firebaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmyInMI:
I searched to see if anyone has already posted in regards to this, but I was wondering of those of us Lymies taking vitamin B12 supplements (orals, injections, ect), has anyone every experienced side-effects related to taking "too much"? [confused]

I was under the impression from my LLMD that you couldn't have too much B12, but the more I read, the more I see that it can cause neurpoathy.

I am concerened that my B12 levels are too high. I experience VERY bad itching EVERY night, for which I have to take 100mg of Benadryl. I was instructed to take 1 sublingual B12 tablet and a B complex vitamin everyday, as well as an IM injection 2 to 3 times a week. I proceeded with this routine for approx 1 and 1/2 months and then began to get the itching really bad. I stopped the injections and then 2 weeks later had my b12 levels checked. It was 2000, with 200-900mcg/ml being "normal levels".

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? I really appreciate it!!

~Amy

Posts: 4 | From Jackson, NJ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The itching is more likely to be from teh abx. That is a common side effect from abx. It's especially careful to make sure you don't have hives as that can be a more serious side effect.

I developed itching from the abx I'm on...I was prescribed Allegra to control it. It took about 3 days of Allegra for the itching to go away but it beat Benedryl since that makes me way too sleepy!!

I also was taking too much B12 but it was giving me extreme heartburn. I finally dropped down to just a multi vitamin that has B12 in it. The B complex had just way too much stuff in it for my body to handle!!!

Hope that helps!
Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone for their responses and suggestions.

To answer a few questions:

My LLMD checked my B12 levels at the time of dx and they were a bit low, but definately within the "normal" range. He still had me start the B complex and sublingual B12, stating it would help with the extreme fatigue.

After approx a month or so, he started me on the IM injections also, only because I was still fatigued and had no energy. At the time I knew nothing about possible side effects and didn't question a thing and just did what I was told.

I figured that on the days I was taking a shot, I received 2112mcg of B12 between the 1cc injection, the sublingual, the B complex, and my vitamin.
The days I was not taking a shot I still received 1112mcg a day. The average "maintance" dose for people with pernicious anemia (which I do not have, but just for reference) is 200-300mcg a month!

I know for a fact that the itching is not from my abx or any other meds because I went a few days w/o abx to see if the itching subsided and it did not at all. I have not taken any form of B12, other than what is in my vitamin for a while, but the itching has not subsided yet. I know that it can take your liver a long time to process and rid your body of B12 though.

I have informed my LLMD at my last appt and he said he doesn't think the itching is from the B12, but I am going to call him again today and tell him it still hasn't gone away.

HOPEFULLY this itching goes away soon!
Thanks everyone!!

Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. it sounds like too much to me, but i'm not a doctor.

FWIW,two things here

first, i once heard an radio doc, wor,710 am dial,nyc. paraphrase a finding from rheumatology journal-- that vitamin B12 can promote tumor growth. since this subject isn't fresh on my mind, please verify with a web search.

secondly, on the subject of methylation and B12,a popular paperback,i once peeked through while standing on a long line, and either part of which, if it was not wholly devoted to the subject of over-, and under- methylation,and disease processes,including cancer, made a statement implying that either over or under methylation promotes disease processes, including cancer(s), of some kind.

this would imply that:
1. methylated vitamin B12 would donate a methyl group (of atoms).(duh)
2. By taking too much B12,or any form of B12,whether, or not,methylated, since this is the putative, actual functional form, would eventually result in over methylation at some
in time.
therefore, the inference could be made that according the radio paraphrase, at some point in time, by continuing to take large doses of B12, one would then perhaps be promoting a tumor process(-es).

best i recall, in a healthy individual, on a bad diet,it takes approx. 6 months to develop a clinically manifest, B12 deficit; both serious infections,their treatment would shorten the time period to manifest deficits.

tick-borne infections notwithstanding, the very first manifestations of deficits in B-complex vitamins are psychological/cognitive.

paradoxically, vitamins b6, b2, C, and the min. zinc worsen some lyme signs and symptoms.
the first three cause brain-macrophages to pump out quinolinic acid, a natural toxin,one symptom of which is irritability, perhaps agitation.

magnesium and niacin(not niacinamide), so far as i've read, are helpful in that they temporarily work to reduce the level of quinolinic acid in the brain.

niacin is a "multiple-edged sword" in that it will result in higher liver enzymes,which imply damage.

at least one of the liver enzymes assessed in liver a liver function test, is also made by the heart. so its elevation would imply that at least some of this one enzyme is coming form the heart. since lyme and its treatment affect the heart, i'd assume some of this one enzyme is coming from the heart, as well as liver.

for me,when taking niacin, i felt it in my heart(any amount over 25mg.,and sometimes lower amounts).
before lyme, i never felt it in heart when i took niacin.

just a stream of consciousness musing, here.

[ 10. October 2006, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,

First of all, itching sounds like an allergic reaction. It could be a reaction to an ingredient in one of the forms of B-12 you are taking.

Second, if your body can't perform the methylation function, the B-12 is not being processed.

Have you been tested for amino acid deficiency? My doctor has me supplementing amino acids because of a deficiency. Without the aa's, he said the methylation process won't occur which means the B-12 won't be processed.

B-12 also needs folic acid for the methylation process. Do you take folic acid with the B-12, or do your B-12 supplements/injections have folic acid?

I take about about 30,000 mcg of B-12 sublingual per day.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever thought that it may be yeast? I get B12 shots and never had itching from them. But I do itch constantly when my candidia is out of control. Its actually the first sign for me to get back on tract.

Just a thought,
Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Aniek! This is the same Amy whom emails you frequently. You suggested checking the AA's in your last email, and unfortnately, I have yet to have them checked.

Hello Lisi! I recognize you from the Michigan Lyme forum. I never really considered it to be yeast to be honest. I do not have any vaginal itching at all, or thrush, just itchy skin I guess. I know it is the time of year when our skin dries out but my skin does not appear dry at all either. I have a rx for difulcan from my LLMD, maybe I will take one tonight and see if it subsides at all.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!!

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Amy!

If it's yeast, the Diflucan will make you itch more for at least a day. Herx effect.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IsThereHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsThereHope         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be Morgellons?
Posts: 121 | From Memphis, TN | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Hello everyone and thanks for your responses and suggestions. I have been pretty much itch free for almost a week now!!

I decided to take some difulcan b/c I have a filled script here of it and figured I mind as well see if it works, and viola! It did!

I had my B12 level rechecked on thurs, I am just waiting for the results.

Thanks again everyone!

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amy! I've "spoken" with you before, as well. You are in Lansing, right? I see Dr Z. in Romeo.

Glad you found relief from your itching. Other than that how is it going? Are you still getting treatment in Saginaw - or were you going to Romeo as well? It's been a while - brain fog!

Molly
(aka Mojo and Twinofdar)

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typhoon_sheri
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for typhoon_sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amy and mojo,

I had to chime in about too much B-12.
When I looked on my labs from the F & F Clinic,
they either increased or decreased the normal values of a lot of my test. They crossed out the norms and wrote in their values.
According to my labs my B-12 was in normal limits, alongs with my hormone studies and many other tests.
I know too much of something is just as bad as not enough. Not sure how ethical that is ?
I also had inj B-12 and felt worse.
I do not do well on B Vit's so that just me.
It will be interesting to see what your new B-12 levels are........
To my fellow Michiganders...............GO Tigers

Posts: 116 | From state of lyme | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement