LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Newcomer - Sound like Lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newcomer - Sound like Lyme??
stiner
Member # 10312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I just discovered this website this morning. What a great resource! I'll try to be brief.

Around the end of August, my legs started feeling "weak". Then around mid-Sept, I started having bad muscle pain in my legs. It would move around; sometimes in thighs, sometimes one calf, etc. Then, the muscle weakness and muscle pain started moving up my body to include my arms. The only joint pain I've noticed seems to be in my hip area. Another strange symptom I've noticed - when I'm holding still (most of the time in bed), my muscles seem to vibrate or jitter. No external tremor visible, it's an internal feeling. I notice it most when I wake up. Very weird. I also have some occasional muscle spasms. I've been tired a lot.

Around the time this started, I got an insect bite of some kind (didn't see the insect). I did NOT get the typical bullseye pattern, but I did get a solid red circle around the bite (about 3in. in diameter). It was slightly swollen and feverish. To my knowledge, I did not run a fever.

Currently, I still have all over weakness and muscle pains that come and go. And this weird vibrating sensation.

Does it sound like it could be lyme??

I had a brain MRI in June (before this all started). It was negative. I'm scheduled for a spine MRI this afternoon and then I'm scheduled to see a neurologist this coming Thursday. My internist seems to think I'm nuts! :-) Oh, I should mention that he did put me on 10 days of doxycycline, 100mg twice daily; that I just finished up yesterday (he seemed to think that on the remote chance it was lyme, that would take care of it). I can't tell any difference in my symptoms.

Comments and insite would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks. [Smile]

[ 10. October 2006, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: stiner ]

--------------------
Susan T.

Posts: 28 | From Austin, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! Glad you found us. You are in TX where there are some good llmd's (lyme literate doctors) I would urge you to go to the SEEKING A DOCTOR Forum and ask for a referral to one of these doctors. Since names of doctors are not used here, leave your email so others can contact you.

Your internist thinks your nuts...and most likely your neurologist will, too! [Eek!]
Somewhere on this site is an Alligator Pit where we throw our internists and neurologists to the alligators. These doctors are unaffectionately referred to as "ducks" and hospitals are called Duck Motels!

Here is a list of symptoms: (yes, you may have lyme)

Musculoskeletal System
Joint pain or swelling
Stiffness of joints, back, neck
Muscle pain or cramps
Creaking, cracking joints
Heel pain
Spinal sensitivity
Movement of pain or swelling to different joints

Neurologic System
Headache - persistent/severe
Bell's Palsy (facial paralysis)
Burning or stabbing pains
Tremors or unexplained shaking
Numbness in body and/or extremities, tingling, pinpricks
Weakness or partial paralysis
Pressure in the head
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
Increased motion sickness
Seizures, stroke symptoms
Restless legs

Mental Capability
Memory loss (short or long term)
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Forgetting how to perform simple tasks
Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
Stammering, stuttering speech
Going to the wrong place

Psychological well-being
Mood swings, irritability
Unusual depression
Panic-anxiety attacks
Overemotional reactions, crying easily
Aggression, rage
Too much sleep, insomnia
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Obsessive-compulsive behavior
Suicidal thoughts
Paranoia
Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)

Head, Face, Neck
Stiff or painful neck
Headache, mild or severe
Twitching of facial or other muscles
Jaw pain or stiffness
Sore throat
Unexplained hair loss
Scalp rash

Eyes, Vision
Floaters
Double or blurry vision
Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes
Light sensitivity
Flashing lights
Tearing and/or dry
Vision loss/Blindness

Ears/Hearing
Decreased hearing in one or both ears
Buzzing or ringing in ears (tinnitus)
Pain in ears
Sound sensitivity

Digestive and Excretory System
Diarrhea
Constipation
Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping)
Frequent urination
Upset stomach, vomiting
Bloating
Gastroesophageal reflux

Respiratory/Circulatory System
Shortness of breath
Chest pain or rib soreness
Night sweats or unexplained chills
Heart palpitations or extra beats
Heart block, heart attack
Valve prolapse, murmurs

Reproductive
Loss of sex drive
Sexual dysfunction
Unexplained menstrual pain, irregularity
Unexplained breast pain, discharge
Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being
Extreme fatigue
Symptoms change, come and go
Pain moves to different body parts
Unexplained weight gain or loss
Malaise
Chills
All types of rashes on the body and /or scalp
Swollen glands
Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
Itching
Continual infections (sinus, kidney, yeast, bladder, etc.)
Increased sensitivity to allergens
Exaggerated response to alcohol or sweets
Nodules under the skin
Early on, experienced a flu-like illness, after which you have not felt well since.

nan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1723 | From: Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that we should get an extra + on a new Igenix band for everytime we are called "nuts". I woud have 6++++++ on that one. Just kidding, of course !

I would be suspicious from what you are describing, but the only way you will truly find out is if you go to someone who knows....like a llmd, or ILADS type md. who will use Igenix.

That way, you will be able to believe the diagnosis.

Hopefully, you have posted on "seeking a doctor".

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nan:
Hi there! Glad you found us. You are in TX where there are some good llmd's (lyme literate doctors)

No longer true, nan. I'm sad to say that, but stiner will have to travel in order to get treatment.

Stiner, the amount of doxy you were given will NOT cure Lyme. Not possible unless MAYBE if it was given to you IMMEDIATELY following the bite.

Your most important task right now is to find a Lyme literate MD.

I have a good list, but there's only one dr left in TX right now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be Lyme. Vibrating feelings is a common Lyme symptom. I also had the leg muscle twitching/vibrating.

10 days of doxycycline is not enough. Check out the Newbie links here on LymeNet.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 4 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rash you describe sounds alot like what I had. Did it look like any of these?

http://www.canlyme.com/rash.html

These were on my skinny leg, and ended up being posted as an example...

"Classic" actually isn't that common.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiner
Member # 10312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, not quite. Mine just seemed like a red, inflamed area around the bite. Slightly swollen and feverish....I guess that's why I'm still not so sure it's lyme.

I have a neurologist appt tomorrow - my first. I'll post what he tells me.

Thanks James.

--------------------
Susan T.

Posts: 28 | From Austin, TX | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The fact that your internist thinks you are nuts is by itself suggestive of Lyme as the diagnosis.
That's the best answer so far.

Weren't most lymies here thought by ducks as nuts!!!

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement