LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The tick has hit the fan- IDSA guidelines deny treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The tick has hit the fan- IDSA guidelines deny treatment
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you get time..

Call the Infectious Disease Society of America and thank them for ruining your life.. and for destroying the lives of many more to come.

While you have the phone close by... you might want to thank the insurance industry for being right on top of the IDSA guidelines (in their pocket).. chomping at the bit.

Point being... have you ever seen an insurance company move fast to HELP you?

In less than a week after IDSA guidelines hit the internet they have already started refusing patients their medications for Lyme disease... while quoting IDSA guidelines!!!

I just recieved this on an email.
````````````````````````````````````````````````

This disturbing letter was received by a patient denying her medical treatment:

My doctor has been trying to get them to allow me to use Ketek and or Biaxin. This is what they said to me:

..[my insurance company] has recieved a request to preauthroize Ketek 2 daily. This request is not approved for reimbursement based on [my insurance company]'s limitations and exclusions for coverage outlined in the prescripton drug benefits section/rider of your member contract.

This specific benefit exclusion is: This medication is not FDA approved for this condition and this indication is not an accepted use per Stand Reference Compendia.

Additionally, the Infectious Diease Society 2006 Treatment Guidelines for Lyme Disease specificaly state the following:

Because of lack of biologic plausibility, lack of efficacy, absence of supporting data, or the potential harm to the patient, the following are not recommended for treatment of patients with any manifestation of Lyme Disease: first-generation cephalosporins, fluoroquiniolones, carbapenems, vancomycin, metronidazle, tinidazole, amantadine, ketolides, isoniazin, trimethprim-sulfamethozazle, flucanazole, benzaathing penicillin G, combinations of antimicroials, pulsed-dosing (i.e.,d some days but not others), long-term antibiotic therapy, anti-Bartonella therapies, hyperbaric oxygen, ozon, fever therapy, intravenous immunogloblin, cholestyramine, intravanseous hydrogen peroxide, specific nutritional supplements, and others.."

Now Betty.. how do you like the edited title? I've never done that before.

[Big Grin]

[ 16. October 2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edited: Tincup, this is too important a subject; would you change your topic line accordingly to something else; example:

06 IDSA guidelines EXCLUDES chronic lyme treatment
or something to this effect!

All the newbies who don't know you, will not begin to realize how CRITICAL THE CONTENTS OF THIS POST ARE. Thanks for your consideration Tincup!!! BG [cussing]

Tincup and Mike,
I broke this up for myself when I received in my private email from each of you! Talk about DISGUSTING!

Each treatment we are ON, is covered in their DENIAL LETTER!!!! They didn't leave anything out !

I encouraged all on my lyme list group to CALL SENATORS/REPS/ WRITE THEM/ about this mess; IT'S AN ELECTION YEAR....BE IN THEIR FACE !

My doctor has been trying to get them to allow me to use Ketek and or Biaxin. This is what they said to me:

..[my insurance company] has received a request to preauthroize Ketek 2 daily.

This request is NOT approved for reimbursement based on [my insurance company]'s limitations and exclusions for coverage outlined in the prescripton drug benefits section/rider of your member contract.

This specific benefit exclusion is: This medication is NOT FDA approved for this condition and this indication is NOT an accepted use per Stand Reference Compendia.

Additionally, the Infectious Disease Society 2006 Treatment Guidelines for Lyme Disease

specifically state the following:

of lack of biologic plausibility,
lack of efficacy,
absence of supporting data,
or the potential harm to the patient,

the following are not recommended for treatment of patients with any manifestation of Lyme Disease:
first-generation cephalosporins,
fluoroquiniolones,
carbapenems,
vancomycin,
metronidazle,
tinidazole,
amantadine,
ketolides,
isoniazin,
trimethprim-sulfamethozazle,
flucanazole,
benzaathing penicillin G,
combinations of antimicroials,
pulsed-dosing (i.e.,d some days but not others),
long-term antibiotic therapy,
anti-Bartonella therapies,
hyperbaric oxygen,
ozon,
fever therapy,
intravenous immunogloblin,
cholestyramine,
intravanseous hydrogen peroxide,
specific nutritional supplements,
and others.."

Don't forget, do a tick check!
bETTYG [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[puke]
IDSA:INS Cos
[toilet]
[cussing]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to get the lyme green buses gassed up and ready to march on Washington...

before we run out of abx....and get really crazy on their collective a$$e$.......zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any reason why this ins co cannot be identified? I think everytime someone gets this reply from an ins co, their name should be publicly posted (the company, not the patient).
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 2 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a bunch of crap!!! Did they list an alternative to all the treatments that they slammed?

Oh, let me guess, lose weight like what they say at the Mayo!

This just ****es me off. [Mad]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6147 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lou..

To respond to your question... The insurance company name was removed when I got that notice.

If the patient wants to post it... they can. And yes.... I agree with you.. the insurance companies should be made to squirm with all the negative publicity we can give them.

`````````````````````````````````````````````

I just got an email about someone breaking down the IDSA guidelines into plain languge so folks can figure out what they are talking about... and how it will effect all of us.

It was a 2 word reply... in what they said was "plain English"... and read...

"We're ******* "

That prety much sums it up.

[cussing]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have blood on their hands

bast@rds

Unbelieveable [cussing]

you are so right

we are so scr@w@ed

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess they want us to die quietly at home

well I am not gonna be quiet

what can we do other than write letter to politcal leaders?

the question in my mind now would be how to get really sick people to fly & come togeather in DC?

how about trying to start with local papers & tell them about
lyme/insuracne companys/ doctors

and basically the gov & insurance companys leaving us to rot & die at home with no treatment-

once it gets into a local paper UPI(united press international) may pick it up and

put it in bigger papers. Thats how it gets into bigger papers.

Hey, its may work?

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really is ridiculous-
It is obvious that the people writing these statements have never had someone they love sick with lyme nor had it themselves

How can they be so blind?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNhayley
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNhayley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had this crazy idea and by-golly I think it would work!

I wonder if we could personally challenge Steere et al to accept a pint or so transfusion of blood from those that have been CDC positive and then "cured" by using their guidelines. [bonk]

Ya think they would go for that? As they say, the proof is in the pudding (or blood).

Hmmmm ... now how to word the invitations for all the onlookers that would like to serve witness to the sure to be historical transfusion ...

I'll work on that and get back to ya

--------------------
"Data over dogma, Evidence over egos, Patients over politics" -- one smart dude from Missouri

Posts: 112 | From TN USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, old girl; you did GOOD on editing/adding to your subject line! YOU GOT MY ATTENTION! 1st time doing this wasn't so bad; was it? lol [Big Grin]

I'll send this link also to the person who shared this story with both of us about seeing about NAMING INSURANCE CO.!!

Ok, election day is 2 weeks from today.

How about calling your LOCAL reps/senators offices to find out when they are going to be NEAR YOUR AREA.

Make an appt. to visit with them about our lyme health insurance & DENIED REIMBURSEMENTS ... all out of pocket, etc.

If you can get the appt., how about seeing if someone extremely sick, on IV, in wheelchair could possibly come and tell THEIR story to our DC rep/senator ?

Also like the idea of humor interest story in newspaper, but most will NOT do it BEFORE ELECTIONS due to all the LETTERS TO EDITORS.

Time for us to take action NOW in whatever capacity we are capable/physically able to do!

I sent 2 emails to my senator tonight about other stuff.

But I'm GOING to write a new email for 2 senators and 1 house rep. about LYME, S1479, AND NEW IDIOT IDSA GUIDELINES. Bettyg [cussing] [toilet] [puke]

minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes me extremely angry and very, very scared -- for all of us.

WHY???????????? Why are they doing this??????

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Friends,

I do believe the time for action is at hand.

No more pleading with Oprah,Montel,Dr. Phil, Whoever...

We have GOT to make a Nonviolent but very Up front and personal physical protest.

The IDSA cannot be allowed to systematically doom us to slow,painful,insanity and death.

I know what I want to do...march,crawl,hop,limp or whatever on washington ....

Any other suggestions??? Better Ideas??

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did others watch the benefit for autism research and education on Comedy Central the other night?

It was hosted by Jon Stewart and had lots of big names from Jerry Seinfeld to Peter Williams. And it was very funny.

Clearly someone who cares deeply about autism is very well connected in New York and Hollywood.

I imagine some of the Literatti for Lyme celebs like Amy Tan are also well-connected.

They may not be huge draws themselves (hey, I love Amy Tan, but she's not exactly a Jerry Seinfeld), but I'm sure they run in the same circles as many of these big stars.

How can the folks at the LDA who have been cultivating celebrities like Tan work with them to get big name, non-Lyme infected/affected celebrities to take up this cause, as has happened with HIV/AIDS, etc.

Who knows, maybe Amy Tan knows Bill or Melinda Gates. There must be someone at the LDA who knows her well enough to ask.

Here's my other thought: i would think the pharmaceutical companies that make the drugs on the IDSA hit list for Lyme disease treatment would object to the blackballing of their drugs for Lyme treatment.

We could start letter-writing campaigns to the presidents of the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture drugs that have helped us personally, asking that they oppose the IDSA guidelines and help "educate" Congress on the dangers of this type of restriction.

The pharmaceutical companies have huge clout on Capitol Hill and believe me, they use it.

In my opinion, they are more powerful than the health insurance and medical groups combined.

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesley, YOU have hit upon a great idea..

..... "Here's my other thought: i would think the pharmaceutical companies that make the drugs on the IDSA hit list for Lyme disease treatment would object to the blackballing of their drugs for Lyme treatment.

We could start letter-writing campaigns to the presidents of the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture drugs that have helped us personally, asking that they oppose the IDSA guidelines and help "educate" Congress on the dangers of this type of restriction.

The pharmaceutical companies have huge clout on Capitol Hill and believe me, they use it.

In my opinion, they are more powerful than the health insurance and medical groups combined."

I hope the LDA and ILADS are already working on this.

Also I do not know Amy's handle on here, but I have been told that she might be a member. Not sure if she is still around or not. She may be doing all that she can already.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone going to the conferences this week?

I'll be at both LDA (fri) and ILADS (sat/sun) conference in PA...I'm sure there will be much discussion of this and maybe we can drum up a plan.

I think we need to make the most of the new lyme film...people need to see this film to get the big picture...maybe we can get our local independent theatres to show the film while we hand out information... (people love movies...)

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humanbeing:
Anyone going to the conferences this week?

I'll be at both LDA (fri) and ILADS (sat/sun) conference in PA...I'm sure there will be much discussion of this and maybe we can drum up a plan.

I think we need to make the most of the new lyme film...people need to see this film to get the big picture...maybe we can get our local independent theatres to show the film while we hand out information... (people love movies...)

How did you get the abiltity to attend the ILADS conference?
Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the film is not being released until at the earliest NEXT summer!

We need direct action in each of our towns. Am march would be gret but the numbers wont be high enough. We each need to get numbers in our closest cities and do something coordinated with other large cities.

I also like the idea of "letting" the pharma industry know that their meds have helped us....and the IDSA guidelines will not let us have these meds.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather than marches, how about some small "demonstrations" at polling places on Election Day.

Best choices might be the polling places of politicians with the power to move Lyme legislation forward or perhaps polling places near NIH or CDC.

The key would be to get press coverage. Someone would have to write a press release and get it to local media outlets.

Seems the press may be looking for Election Day "human interest" stories.

Or ... how about bigger demonstrations outside the headquarters of any insurance companies denying coverage for Lyme treatment prescribed by a doctor.

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesley, I think you've got some very good ideas!
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pharma does not care whether the patient pays for the drugs or the insurance company. So, this will not affect their bottom line.

In fact, if you have a mail order pharmacy benefit as part of your ins plan, the ins co will actually pay quite a bit less than the going price. They negotiate special below market prices for drugs, especially brand names. So, pharma could actually end up doing better if the patient rather than the ins co pays for drugs.

In other words, don't count on big pharma to bail us out.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

If the insurance companys reject the claim for meds I know alot of people who just don't have the cash to buy the meds.

And they will not be bought. At this point I won't trust anyone to "bail us out" but ourselves.

I think lesley1954 has a valid point. Hit them where it hurts the most. In their pocket books.

I am so angry at this point I can't see straight [Mad] .

They took away the only LLMD in the southeast. Me & alot of others have no place to get treatment. Only the affluent people or people well enough to travel may stand a chance.

Now they are taking away our meds & coverage!!!

I will, if I have to take wheel chair service to DC

I don't care if I relaspe more from the trip. I am already screwd & without help.

So lets all pack up our walkers, canes, wheelcahirs & head for the nearest city & do some screaming. Maybe burn some flags.

We need big attention. I for one am not going to lay around at home & rot be left for dead!

--------------------
5dana8

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe one way to look at the big picture here is to break down what is best to do to NOW (the next few weeks)

what to do over the next few and more months,

and then what to do over the long haul, cause there just is no doubt that there is going to be a very long haul involved here.

My quick vote for what to be working for right now
is to put political pressure on reps before THIS election, that is right NOW.

Pressure them to support addtl lyme research funding legislation, pressure them about the corruption of the ISDA guidelines, tell your stories. Go in a wheel chair to YOUR LOCAL REP's office. Call the media to tell them to meet you there. If you can't do that, write a letter or send a fax. Need help finding contact info for your rep? Post in activism and someone will help!

Skipping to the long haul. There will be always be ISDA type guidelines until there is a body of Columbia uNiv type conducted science that swamps the cherry-picked and distorted data of the ISDA's. IMO, any and all efforts to get funding for reality-based TBD science are critical.

Back to my fog of the day....

Dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Sounds like a good approach to me.

People in the SE need to go see their reps, ask about the lyme bills in public gatherings with reps running for re-election. If in NC, go see state legislators, tell them how this has affected you. Picket the NC state medical board offices. Make this a public scandal, not just a private injustice and tragedy.

minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I think about this, the more furious I get! Lyme bills are great, and they DO protect our doctors... but this is just down and dastardly denial of service to a very ailing community. (I can't help but think that some of this is payback for the organized efforts we, as a community, have already put in place.)

There is a special circle of H*ll reserved for the IDSA folks, and I believe it is crawling with ticks....

I actually agree that hitting the Pharma companies is a good idea... I know that without insurance, I won't be getting the drugs at all --and I know I'm not alone! I simply can't afford out of pocket care, and I'm in better financial shape than a lot of you, since I am still able to work (for now, knock wood!)

I'm also rather attracted to the "hobble on Washington" idea, though I doubt it'll have longterm staying power. Am I jaded, or just realistic?

--------------------

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many good ideas here.

May I suggest?

This weekend at LDA?ILADS conferences there are additional meetings going on and we will be discussing plans and actions to take on this topic.

Just to save yourself time/stress/energy...

Maybe wait another week.. until after the meetings and things have been discussed and planned. Once we have a solid plan.. sorted into areas of who can do what.. the best use of our resources... THEN we can unite and ROCK and ROLL!

Yes.. I am as anxious as everyone.. but I do know to be effective and make a difference we must focus on what will get the job done best... then go fo it.

Now.. hear this..

I am NOT saying for anyone to not do what they want now. Please feel free to help yourself and do what makes you feel better.

I am just saying one big hurricane coming at you can raise more eyebrows than a bunch of scattered thunderstorms.

In the meantime.. may I suggest?

Write a short version of YOUR story to have ready to mail. Make it so your audience can be anyone from the media to the legislators. One page is perfect.

Make an updated email list so you can contact everyone you know to help when the time is right. We will have to move fast when the time comes.. and it is hard to keep up if you aren't prepared.

Make a list of all your local legislators.. if they aren't already on the activism list over in the activism section at LymeNet... to have ready.

Make a list of contact information for any and all folks who will NEED to know the situation so they can react and help. Focus on people who are most at risk...

Examples:

Local and state and federal parks in your area,

Electric and phone line workers,

Natural Resources Police,

Outdoor business (camp grounds, kayak outfitters, wild fire teams, etc)

Road maintence crews for state and local areas,

Animal hospitals, vets offices

Schools in endemic areas,

And so forth...

By the time you get that done.. and it WILL be needed... we should have come up with a plan of action.

Just my opinion..

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to chime in cause i didn't see it mentioned.....

WHAT ABOUT THE TWO STANDARDS OF CARE???!!!!!

ILADS- Two Standards of Care

.........When more than one standard of care exists, the critical question becomes who decides the appropriate course of treatment for the patient. Under the medical ethical principle of autonomy, the treatment decision belongs to the patient.

Hence, the American Medical Association requires that the physician disclose and discuss with the patient not only the risks and benefits of the proposed treatment, but also the risinsks and benefits of available alternative treatments (regardless of their cost or the extent to which the treatment options are covered by health insurance).[20]

For example, patients with prostate cancer (where significant uncertainty exists regarding long-term treatment outcomes) must elect between watchful waiting, radiation and surgery.

The legal doctrine of informed consent also requires that patients be advised of material treatment options. Treatment choices involve trade-offs between the risks and benefits of treatment options that only patients-who know the kinds of risks they are willing to run and the types of quality of life outcomes that matter to them-are uniquely suited to make.

.........Respect for the basic autonomy of the patient is a fundamental principle of medical ethics. Without adequate information about treatment options, their probable outcomes, and the risks and benefits associated with each, patients cannot act autonomously.

Today, however, many patients are either denied treatment by their HMO physicians who follow actuarial treatment protocols generated to keep treatment costs down, or they must find an independent physician to treat them, with the all but forgone conclusion that coverage for this treatment will be denied by their insurer based on cherry-picked (economically favorable) guidelines. Moreover, HMO physicians generally do not advise their patients that treatment alternatives exist.

THAT'S A BIG POINT THAT OUR DOCTORS DON'T TELL US, AND IDSA SEEMS TO DENY IT EXISTS!!!

Gail
 -

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CONGRESS LEGISLATIVE LIST STARTED OF 50 STATES...

federal senators/reps
names/addresses/phone no./emails!!!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000350

TNHayley's list of HR 3427 committee HOLDING up our lyme bill BY STATE/LAST NAMES !!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=016146

MY RECOMMENDATIONS are:

Use Hayley's list and contact YOUR state's house of rep SHOWN on her list involved in the HR bill that is being held up by their committee.

Contact YOUR LOCAL REPS OFFICE in your state. Find out when/where they will be in your area, and see about SCHEDULING appt. to meet with them about signing off on the bill

and giving them your story..typed/printed about your chronic lyme and how IDSA's guidelines are screwing you to be left bankrupt...

without a home, medical bills you can't pay for, and living on the street with NO medical treatment...

ACTION IS NOW!!!

I also agree w/Tincup on finding out what the LARGER group of top LYLE LEADERS think would be best, but we've got to use these days/hours to OUR ADVANTAGE NOW!

They will be MORE AVAILABLE NOW; towards last few days; they will not be available to SPEAK to; or hear from!

That's my opinion and as Ann-Ohio says, "I'm sticking to it!"
now to bed, Bet [sleepy] tyg

[ 19. October 2006, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow-

3 really useful/insighttful posts in a row about responsing to ISDA guideines. I'm glad I stopped by.

Thanks for your list of to-do's, TinCup. It seems like a pretty comprehensive and important list of materials -to-have-at hand/and distribution to public contacts -to-have -lined up for anytime at all.

I look forward to hearing what the LDA/ILADS etc. recommendations are for action- couldn't agree more that unity and coordination in action is vital.

But I also don't think that there is any conflict of interest or waste of energy in acting NOW to lobby our reps.

I agree with you 100%, Betty. The election is only 3 weeks away, and getting more crazed by the day. The last week before the election will be focused intently on internal campaigns' stuff- GOTV, etc.

Elections like this don't come every 2 or 4 or even 8 years. This is a great window of opportunity to genuinely be heard, and this particular window is closing quickly.

(PS- most observers believe if the DEMs take back the House- a very good possibility- there will be little to nothing accomplished in the lame duck session, then a great deal of agenda-rearranging. My guess would be TBD issues would be about oh, 1,000th on the list of things to do.

And if the Republicans hold the House, there will be a great rush to get things passed, but hmm, good guess is none of it will have to do with TBD's. )

Gail- What a wonderful point about the legal doctrine of informed consent!

That notion may not carry the day in this particular battle at this particular time. But it seems a GREAT banner to raise in a much longer fight by patients/patient advocates against the "evidence-based medicine" fad that is helping to deeply warp how medicine is practiced here in the US.

Here's to bottom-up AND top-down advocacy!! Methinks the lyme -world needs both.

Dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

up

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some wonderful conversations taking place....

reminder for you folks to get your stuff together as Tincup has asked of all of us!
Bettyg [Big Grin]

MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This specific benefit exclusion is: This medication is not FDA approved for this condition and this indication is not an accepted use per Stand Reference Compendia.

Additionally, the Infectious Diease Society 2006 Treatment Guidelines for Lyme Disease specificaly state the following:

Because of lack of biologic plausibility, lack of efficacy, absence of supporting data, or the potential harm to the patient, the following are not recommended for treatment of patients with any manifestation of Lyme Disease: .....

COMMENTS / QUESTIONS!

*How long does it take for a drug to be approved by the FDA for a particular use?

*Is that what Dr B is working on now?

*Are there any Rx drugs left not on this list?

*How does this effect Babs, Bart, etc? (Ketex is approved for mycoplasma I know)

*How do you get approval for "experimental" trials?

[confused]

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Because of lack of biologic plausibility, lack of efficacy, absence of supporting data, or the potential harm to the patient, the following are not recommended for treatment of patients with any manifestation of Lyme Disease: .....

COMMENTS / QUESTIONS!

*How long does it take for a drug to be approved by the FDA for a particular use?

*Is that what Dr B is working on now?

*Are there any Rx drugs left not on this list?

*How does this effect Babs, Bart, etc? (Ketex is approved for mycoplasma I know)

*How do you get approval for "experimental" trials?

[confused]

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

I did some searching and reading on the IDSA site.

Go over to ACTIVISM and see the post on "learning from the IDSA"

welcome
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for welcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so they are a treacherous bunch.

So some clever, calculating responses are

necessary.

Since the US is so litigious and everyone of these

SOB's are fat cats and above all else don't want

to get sued, I propose that we start sending

certified/return receipt letters to some of these

so-called professionals in their professional

capacity and start asking them some pointed

questions,

i.e., "Dear Sir, Based on the guidelines YOU

helped develop, is it safe to tell my doctor that

I couldn't possibly have lyme disease?"

or

"Based on the guidelines YOU helped develop, I

have told my doctors that they are wrong, I

couldn't possibly have Lyme Disease.

I told them that based on the guidlines and

information that YOU AND YOUR ORGANIZATION

published I have made the decision to stop

treatment for Lyme disease.

Thank you so much for clarifying that I DO NOT

have Lyme disease....." etc.

Or how about letters to the CDC asking them to

specifically explain whether your Western Blot

test result (provide a copy) which does not meet

their "surveillance criteria" IS or IS NOT a Lyme

infection.

or...

"Dear CDC, My doctor claims that my WB

test results with positiive bands 31, 34 and 39

indicates I DO HAVE Lyme disease, but after

studying the information on your website I

believe it contradicts that diagnosis. Do I

have lyme disease or not?"...

and then someone else send a similiar letter

stating: "Dear CDC, My doctor claims that my WB

test results with positiive bands 31, 34 and 39

indicates I DO NOT HAVE Lyme disease, but after

studying the information on your website I

believe it contradicts that diagnosis. Do I

have lyme disease or not?"

In other words, a little reverse psychology may go

a long way in revealing the lie.

As a liar gets caught in his lie he begins to tell

even more outrageous lies in an attempt to cover

the initial lie. At some point the impossible

attempt becomes obvious and unsupportable. The

fact that he's lying can then be seen by even the

simplest of people.

Put them on the spot as being responsible for

determining that you DO NOT have Lyme disease!

Just like I tell my doctors, "If you are not going

to enter it into my record that you personally

state that I categorically DO NOT have Lyme

disease, then I want to be tested again at another

lab and treated JUST IN CASE I DO!"

My .02

Now mind you, they are not going to respond with

anything substantive, however if enough people

send and post the IDSA and CDC equivocations en

masse on a singular website, before too long you

would have a body of material that will paint a

very explicit picture, showing that they are,

shall we politely say, dishonest!

[ 22. October 2006, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: welcome ]

Posts: 294 | From nevada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement