LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody take charcoal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody take charcoal?
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on IV rocephin and oral zithromax (tomorrow I start the zithromax).

I just wondered if I can take charcoal to detox heavy metals if I'm on abx? Do I have to take it a certain time away from my meds/ oral and picc? How long?

And do you notice a difference taking it as far as food and chemical reactions and electromagnetic fields?

Just curious...thanks:-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charcoal was discussed this weekend at a Dr. K. seminar. Only briefly. Charcoal is only for an emergency if you feel really bad one day. It should not be taken longer than a couple of days, because it removes metals/minerals, good and bad.

Chlorella, chitosan, pectins, fibers, Destroxin, cholestyramine if you tolerate it.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm funny that you asked this question, I was just thinking about this myself.

Charcoal is what they use to pump out someones stomach if they overdose, it's supposed to help absorb things in the digestive tract.

I would think in the case of lyme and yeast it would benefit helping get rid of these within the digestive tract?????

I also heard it's good for gas and bloating.

Please share if anyone has info on this or thoughts.

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Tailz,

I take the charcoal outa the bag and fire it up in my Webber...

Then I take the steak out of the fridge and "burn" that.

While I'm doing this I fire up my electromagnetic "BOOM BOX" and listen to some knarly tunes...

While I sit back and enjoy a VERY DRY martooney!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tony...

LOL

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Activated charcoal will pull out almost EVERY drug as well as toxins.

A "slurry" given in ERs is equal to a LOT of pills.

Tony...born in Key West? OOPS...I thought you said, "Marley".

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just started taking charcoal powder(powder is best apparently). I am getting mine from France. I am impressed. From my research it need to be taken daily for many months around two desert spoons a day. I dont take ABX.

wallace

One testimonial from the web:
Lyme Disease
"Hi John, I do have late stage Lyme Disease, which means it is in my heart and brain, as well as other areas that traditional methods won't reach. I have found several things to be the most helpful, hydrotherapy fever baths, an infrared sauna daily (helps with detoxification, pain control, is both antiviral and antibacterial), being very careful about what I eat and my lifestyle, to name a few things I'm doing. I do use charcoal capsules after any type of treatment to absorb the toxins. When the Lyme spirochete is killed, it releases toxins into the system that can make a person very ill if they are not detoxing appropriately. There is a lot more that I really need to share with your friend if he is interested. It is so important that he does his own research as a lot of doctors do not fully understand Lyme Disease yet. God bless!"
Bobbi
Ohio, USA
November 2006

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel it should be more widely used. this is from www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com. I have just ordered his book.
wallace

What is the
Cause of Death in America? (106,000 deaths)

PROPERLY PRESCRIBED DRUGS BY DOCTORS IN HOSPITALS
JOURNAL AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (July 2000)

IS THERE NOT A SAFER ALTERNATIVE?
YES!

DOCTORS, NURSES & DENTISTS USE IT EVERYDAY
EMERGENCY WARDS ALL OVER THE WORLD DEPEND ON IT
POISON CONTROL CENTERS RECOMMEND IT
US ARMED FORCES FIGHT WITH IT

USED FOR: Poisoning, Drug overdose, Kidney dialysis, Hepatitis, Food poisoning, Infection, Colic, Lower Cholesterol, Breast Cancer Surgery, Crohn's Disease, and more.

RATED ``Safe & Effective'' by FDA

"Charcoal Therapy in the 21st Century"
Speaker: John Dinsley
Award-winning Author, Radio & TV Guest
Lifestyle Counselor
Author:
CharcoalRemedies.com The Complete Handbook of Medicinal Charcoal
2006 Independent Publisher Book Award - Honorable Mention
``Outstanding Book of the Year - Most Progressive Health Book''

HOLIDAY INN - FAIRMONT
Jct. I-90 & Hwy 15

February 27-28
Tuesday/Wednesday
7 - 9 pm
Limited Seating
For more information call
507-435-2976
Free admission

``Charcoal Therapy in the 21st Century''

Over 2,000 years ago Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, used charcoal to treat anthrax, chlorosis, and, epilepsy. Today, Activated Charcoal is used to purify the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, and the very blood in our bodies - Medicinal Charcoal is the purifying agent in the newest kidney and liver dialysis units.

Come hear author/speaker John Dinsley tell how Charcoal Therapy is used today throughout the healthcare community to treat a number of health problems. Hear testimonies from healthcare professionals, veterinarians, travelers, missionaries, farmers, and your neighbor next door. This PowerPoint presentation also includes demonstrations on how to make charcoal poultices for infected wounds, insect bites, diabetic ulcers, and more.

Do you know why more and more Dentists use a charcoal mouthwash before removing mercury amalgam fillings? Do you know why some Agri-businesses spray charcoal on fields between crops, or why they include charcoal as a supplement in animal feeds? Do you know why the International Space Station and nuclear submarines carry activated charcoal onboard?

Come, bring a friend, and hear the amazing answers!

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

www.cpnhelp.org people use charcoal with abx. A discussion there.

wallace

know that quite a few people swear by taking charcoal but I have never had this as an ajunct and was just wondering if it's part of the protocol. I don't think it's on David W's list of supplementsii. Does anyone think it is absolutely definitely required?

� alcohol...again... Hi Sarah, Lexy, Rica and others, whom I recognize from another forum :-) �
Vote Result
Score: 0.0, Votes: 0
� login or register to post comments | email this page | printer friendly version
Bought charcoal, never
Submitted by MacKintosh on Tue, 2006-09-05 15:54.

Bought charcoal, never opened the bottle. Seem to be doing just peachy without it. I'm of the opinion you should use it if you need it, but I've just never felt the need.

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems. Mohandas Gandhi

� login or register to post comments | email this page
I cannot say charcoal
Submitted by grannyc on Wed, 2006-09-06 11:46.

I cannot say charcoal doesn't help me since I've never been able to work it into my schedule. Seriously, if anyone would like 9 bottles of charcoal I would be glad to mail it to you. Cindy
I'll take it!� See your
Submitted by cypriane on Wed, 2006-09-06 11:52.

I'll take it! See your mail box for address and offered compensation. Thanks, Joyce

� If I were as bad now as I
Submitted by katman on Tue, 2006-09-05 17:06.

If I were as bad now as I was 2 years ago and knew what was coming, I would have been using charcoal sooner than the 8 or 9 months I have. There is no way of knowing how much toxicity I could have avoided and how much the toxins in addithion to the Avonex I was on then impacted the picture, especially LFT. I could have saved my heroic liver LOTS of work. I do now know that when I began to feel the "creepy-crawly things" and used charcoal for a few nights, there was a real difference. It is not so much a cleaning out feeling as much as an absence of bad stuff I would have expected. At first I took ONE capsule (I am so brave) and eventually took at least 12 and usually 14. I suspect (as is told numerous times by Dr. Stratton in the protocol) that using it, especially when we have a long way to go, that it helps a great deal. We as humans insist that we don't need a lot of what is good for us and are really good at learning things the hard way.

Rica EDSS 6.7 at beginning - now 2

Ignorance is voluntary bad luck. Lauritz S. A true Viking
If you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

Well, quite honestly, I
Submitted by Sarah on Tue, 2006-09-05 17:09.

Well, quite honestly, I can't remember whether it is on David's list or not. I think probably not. I know we have both at various times tried it but I have never felt one jot of difference when I do and I think neither has David. I guess it is something that comes down to individual preference rather than a requirement. Maybe the fact that I drink gallons of water makes up for not taking charcoal.......Sarah

Started the Wheldon regime in August 2003, due to very aggressive SPMS. Moved to intermittent therapy after one year. In May 2006 still take this, two weeks every two months. EDSS was about 7, now less than 2.

An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Berger.

Sarah, I suspect the
Submitted by katman on Wed, 2006-09-06 14:08.

Sarah, I suspect the Chlorella you take has the same effect. I so far can't find it here.

Mms.� I think I need to
Submitted by Alexandra Gibbs on Tue, 2006-09-05 17:38.

Mms. I think I need to drink more water and maybe help my liver along with charcoal given my recent bout of hepatitis. I have stopped drinking red wine at least! Until December. Actually I find it quite easy socially not to drink but I did find it helpful with sleep and spasms but melatonini seems to do just as well.

� I tried it and it seemed
Submitted by Red on Tue, 2006-09-05 21:58.

I tried it and it seemed to really bother my stomach/IBSi so I gave it up rather quickly...

On Combined Antibiotic Protocol for Cpni in Rosaceaii since 01/06

Ahh and me too Red.
Submitted by mrhodes40 on Tue, 2006-09-05 22:23.

Ahh and me too Red. Couldn't take it due to -ahem!- slow moving intestines becoming flat out stopped.
anonymous embarrassed person
(marie)
On CAPi since Sept '05 for MSi, RAi, Asthmai, sciatica. EDSS at start 5.5.
"Color out side the lines!"

Same for me and Ella, slow
Submitted by Michele on Wed, 2006-09-06 02:06.

Same for me and Ella, slow to stop... Any one need a good supply of Charcoal?

Michele: on Wheldon protocol since 1st May 2006 for a variety of long standing ailments, also spokesperson for Ella started Wheldon protocol 17th March 2006 for RRMS

Sussex, UK

Looks like some people
Submitted by Jim K on Wed, 2006-09-06 05:42.

Looks like some people swear by using charcoal, and others swear at using charcoal! I found that, for the most part, the Vitamin C Flush seemed to clear both endotoxinsi and porphyrins (it certainly promotes "rapid bowel transit time") and was needed more episodically-- usually 3rd day of a pulse. The only time charcoal helped was in the really massive powdered form-- there's a thread on it somewhere.

Combined Antibiotic Protocol for Chlamydia pneumonia in Chronic Fatigue Syndromei & Fibromyalgiai- Currently: 150mg INHi, Doxycyclinei/Zithromycin, Tinidazolei pulses. Northern Ohio, USA

Not me.� If my house were
Submitted by kcapozza on Wed, 2006-09-06 09:43.

Not me. If my house were burning down and I could grab two things it would be charcoal and the ldn. I was only taking one or two charrcoal pills and I didn't feel much, except more constripation. Then I upped it to 10 capsules twice a day. After 15 minutes of taking it my mind improves vastly. I tried to skip a 10 pill dose the other day and paid for it that night. (insomnia)

Start slow with it, work up and at first take a stool softener.

kc

Yes, charcoal is vital to
Submitted by paron on Wed, 2006-09-06 11:02.

Yes, charcoal is vital to me, especially at night and during/just after a pulse. Really seems to limit the toxic feeling.

The biggest problem is the timing: if you eat or drink anything (except water) for two hours before or after, you might just as well leave the charcoal in the bottle.

No 'clear liquids', no medications, just water. Almost anything will "plug up" the activated sites of the charcoal, then the toxins stay right in the gut. If charcoal doesn't work for you, you might check the timing.

Ron

On Stratton protocol for CFSi starting 01/06 (NE Ohio, USA).

Charcoal is helping Steve
Submitted by cypriane on Wed, 2006-09-06 11:45.

Charcoal is helping Steve right now as he is having a die-off reaction to starting doxycyclinei. The best time we have found to take it is in the middle of the night when gets up to....... It's helpfulness was clearly demonstrated the other day when he had forgotten to take it during the night; he felt very nasty and cranky and more tired than usual until he took 10 capsules mid-morning. He got back to usual in a short time. Since he is also taking a teaspoon of cellulose powder before each meal, any potential constipating effect of the charcoal hasn't happened. Without the cellulose powder it probably would be a problem, though, since he historically has always been slow to arrive at his NEEs. Joyce~~~MSi caregiver and advocate - Dallas

I think it's okay to take
Submitted by Norman Yarvin on Wed, 2006-09-06 12:39.

I think it's okay to take calcium and magnesium together with charcoal: the binding sites on charcoal are specific enough that a pure substance like calcium or magnesium will only clog up a tiny fraction of them; and there's enough calcium or magnesium in the pills that the charcoal won't adsorb it all.

This is just my own theorizing, but it's how activated charcoal works: it is generally useful for filtering out impurities, and the reason is that it has binding sites of all different shapes, so molecules that are present in large concentrations (like water) soon fill up all the binding sites that they match, but molecules present in tiny concentrations all get stuck to the charcoal, since there aren't enough of them to fill up the matching binding sites.

At any rate, it is quite convenient to take the two together, since they both are things one shouldn't take with antibioticsi, and I've often done so.

This is all so interesting!
Submitted by CAAnnie (not verified) on Wed, 2006-09-06 13:34.

This is all so interesting! I have no idea whether the charcoal helps me or not...But I DO take it as I have oodeles of Endotoxini symptoms & if it can help , then I'm all for it! I usually try to take the charcoal in the middle of the night...Otherwise, 2 hours before/ after food/meds/supps.

Norman...Could you clarify exactly how far apart in time one should take Magnesium/ Calcium from the AB's? I had forgotten about this...A reminder please as to why & how far to space things out would be appreciated so much!

Thanks!

Annie

Primary Dx:FM, On CAPi since1/06, On Dr.Powell's protocol, Currently taking: NACi/Azithromycini/Tinii/Oodles of Supps, Northern CA.

� Since Norman is not here
Submitted by katman on Wed, 2006-09-06 14:04.

Since Norman is not here and I am, I will take it on myself to answer the question about calcium and magnesium: I think those are the main two that negate the abilities of abxii (particularly Doxycyclinei) to do their job. That is the main reason I avoid eating for 2 hours before abx and an hour after - I don't really know what foods have significant amounts of either and want as much benefit each day as I can get. If I have this wrong Norman can add to it. We all need to know.

Minerals interfere with the
Submitted by Jim K on Wed, 2006-09-06 15:14.

Minerals interfere with the absorbtion of tetracycline class antibioticsi from the intestines. They work fine, but you may get less in your bloodstream. Mark, our industrial pharmacist, has noted that the amounts of minerals in food or milk are okay, and don't interfere, but not to take supplementsii or stomach aids which have higher amounts of minerals or metals. http://www.cpnhelp.org/?q=doxycycline_patient_infor

Combined Antibiotic Protocol for Chlamydia pneumonia in Chronic Fatigue Syndromei & Fibromyalgiai- Currently: 150mg INHi, Doxycyclinei/Zithromycin, Tinidazolei pulses. Northern Ohio, USA

Two hours is the usual
Submitted by Norman Yarvin on Wed, 2006-09-06 15:14.

Two hours is the usual amount of time I've seen recommended as an interval between eating things that don't mix well. But it's not a hard-and-fast number. The more you have in your stomach, the longer it takes to empty. So if you take antibioticsi or supplementsii on an empty stomach, then the waiting time before eating something that will interfere with them can be less than two hours, since they won't have to wait around in the stomach, as they would if you took them with a meal. I've seen some drugs come with instructions to take them more than one hour before a meal, or more than two hours after it. And on the other side, I have my doubts that the body can pump charcoal powder efficiently, without leaving a residue of it -- so when I'm taking charcoal, I try to take it, then (upwards of two hours later) a meal to scour out the presumed charcoal residue, then antibiotics.

As Rica noted, it's mainly doxycyclinei (and other tetracyclines) that should not be taken with calcium or magnesium.

Norman, you are right, I
Submitted by paron on Thu, 2006-09-07 11:17.

Norman, you are right, I believe, about small, simple molecules having minimal effect on the charcoal's adsorbancy. That's one reason water's ok, after all -- it's a small, simple molecule. Mag oxide or calcium carbonate are the same way.

We're trying to catch larger, more complicated, organic molecules (porphyrins). I think the reason for such an oversimplified rule (only water) is that a lot of people just don't have the background in chemistry to know whether what they're eating is a small, simple molecule or a complicated mixture of organics. Even if you have that background, it's very complicated to judge the impact on absorption of a mixture of organic chemicals like, say, a cup of tea or a probiotic capsule or a handful of pretzels.

I was just hypothesizing why there's such a difference in our experiences with charcoal.

* It is so tricky to use it effectively that some people will find it ineffective because they aren't exageratedly scrupulous about how they use it.
* Others may not produce enough pophyrins to worry about thru:

* light total CPni load
* low-porphyrin diet

* Still others may have really good hydration habits, and so they eliminate porphyrins through other means

Ron

On Stratton protocol for CFSi starting 01/06 (NE Ohio, USA).

Well, I have never found
Submitted by Sarah on Thu, 2006-09-07 12:20.
Well, I have never found that charcoal helped me, although I must have had quite a large CPni load. I have always waited the requisite amount of time between eating and taking the stuff and do have a basic knowledge of organic chemistry. I have wondered why this is, but I guess the reason that I don't find it helps is partly the amount of water that I drink, which washes everything away, and partly the reason that I have taken chlorella since before starting on treatment. It is recognised as a detoxifier. For probably both these reasons I never found that charcoal, when I tried it, bunged me up either........Sarah

Rica, you can get Yaeyama chlorella from here: http://tinyurl.com/f7g3z

Started the Wheldon regime in August 2003, due to very aggressive SPMS. Moved to intermittent therapy after one year. In May 2006 still take this, two weeks every two months. EDSS was about 7, now less than 2.

Sarah, Since, I'm so new
Submitted by Minai on Fri, 2006-09-08 00:30.

Sarah,

Since, I'm so new here, and to antibiotic/CPNi treatment, maybe i shouldn't be posting so much. But, when I saw this topic, I couldn't resist.

The doctor who designed my nutritional protocol for MSi is a big charcoal advocate. He advises sprinkling a little in one's food when travelling and eating in places like Mexico. I've found it helps me with heartburn, tho, always tending towards constipation, my entire life, am extremely conservative in it's use.

My husband, a soldier, found it extremely useful when he was on some rather unique assignments in the far reaches of Northern Africa two years, ago. I sent him some, knowing what the disease, and food situation was, there. His entire team would get sick and reach for the usual, over-the-counter anti-diarrheal remedies. Well, they remained sick for days, but not him, when he started reaching for the charcoal, instead. They now, all still joke that their commander is a goat who eats anything without getting sick.

Anyway...I should be studying, not posting, as I've just started back at a University in order to make a career change, thanks to this damn disease called MS !

MinaiSmile

Minai, post as much as you
Submitted by Michele on Fri, 2006-09-08 02:48.

Minai, post as much as you like... none of us are really old hands on this site since it is only just a year old. Everyone's opinion is valid.

Michele: on Wheldon protocol since 1st May 2006 for a variety of long standing ailments, also spokesperson for Ella started Wheldon protocol 17th March 2006 for RRMS

Sussex, UK

Michele,Thank you for
Submitted by Minai on Fri, 2006-09-08 10:42.

Michele,

Thank you for making me feel welcome! Old hands, or not, am already learning so much, from you, and others.

Forgive me for asking, but who is Ella?

Cheers,

Minai

Minai, I think maybe your
Submitted by Sarah on Fri, 2006-09-08 05:45.
Minai, I think maybe your nutritionist is suggesting charcoal to help with digestion, if used with food - "Taking charcoal at the first sign of bloating, nausea, or gas can be helpful, as the charcoal absorbs symptom-causing bacteria. Charcoal is suitable for occasional use only. Do not exceed ten capsules in a day or use the product more than two days per week, as the charcoal can also soak up good bacteria and minerals."

Whereas the suggested use here, taking it two hours away from anything else apart from plain water, is to help rid the body of endotoxinsi and porphyrins. I must have a naturally cast iron stomach, though, because apart from a couple of weeks when I sterted doxycyclinei, I have never suffered from any of these problems, wherever I've been. I still put it largely down to drinking loads of water, but in places like North Africa that isn't really an option, unless you have endless supplies Evian or Vittel!........Sarah

Sarah, thanks for that
Submitted by Minai on Fri, 2006-09-08 11:23.

Sarah, thanks for that quote and URL. Yes, that is what that doctor recommended it for.

That has been one of the most difficult things about starting the Doxyi, for me. Altering my nutritional and supplemental protocol. But, I think I'm thru the worst of it.

And, thinking back, to when my husband was in Malaria Land, I can't help but wonder if he was putting himself at more risk by taking the charcoal. The standard Malaria prevention protocol is Mefloquine. But, since many of the soldiers seem to experience side effects from it, they switch to Doxy. Which is what my husband was taking at the time, because of it. Am just glad he did not come down with Malaria, as I would be feeling so guilty, right now!

Yes, the water and food situation in some of the places he was in, was amazing! I still giggle over the photos of Ethiopian natives hauling the muddy river water up to the camp on the backs of donkeys and elephants. And, of the natives building a hut, to cook the goat's meat and rice in, which was what they subsisted on, while there for some weeks. Anyway...sorry to go on about it.

MinaiSmile

Well, Minai, I guess that
Submitted by Sarah on Fri, 2006-09-08 12:32.
Well, Minai, I guess that if he was sprinkling it on his food, he wouldn't have taken enough at any one time to damage the efficacy of the doxycyclinei. Its a damn good malaria prophylaxis and it probably guards against a few other things he might have caught! I found out some interesting info when looking up about melfloquine which I am going to post elsewhere for Lexy's benefit, so have a look there if you like. The thought of the Ethiopian donkeys and elephants reminded me of some of the tales my grandfather told me when I was very young about when he was posted in India, in the last days of the Raj.........Sarah

Will look for it, Sarah.
Submitted by Minai on Sat, 2006-09-09 00:59.

Will look for it, Sarah. The reason Mef is the protocol for soldiers is that they only have to remember to take it once a week, instead of taking Doxyi, everyday. Just like they all have to get the Anthrax vaccine, instead of just taking the Doxy for that, everyday, too. Both my husband and others on his team had site reactions to it! And, they are not supposed to be around anyone with any autoimmune disorders, immediately after vaccination, either. And, of course, he was around me after some of them, before we knew I had MSi. Have not even begun to research any possible connections between anthrax and MS. I guess I've just been too afraid to! Have you ever heard of any connections?

I wish I knew more about Indian history and the Raj. How unique that you had those firsthand tales told to you by your grandfather!

Minai
Minai, I think the vaccine
Submitted by Sarah on Sat, 2006-09-09 06:11.

Minai, I think the vaccine is sensible for anthrax if you are likely to get it and site reactions are normal to vaccines: I remember my TB vaccine. Mind you, I also remember falling down in a dead faint as I stood in line in the school nurses room, watching all the other girls in front, one by one having the needle stuck in. As far as I know there is no connection between anthrax and MSi.

As for the Raj, I was only two or three, so was more interested in stories about the elephants. I also was fascinated by my grandmother's endless, individually knotted strings of amber beads. They moved to Gibraltar after India, where tales of the Barbary apes are about all I remember.........Sarah

My bad, Sarah! Had not
Submitted by Minai on Sat, 2006-09-09 17:19.

My bad, Sarah! Had not discussed this with my husband for quite sometime. The anthrax vaccine is no longer required for soldiers. Happened right around the time my husband and his team members experienced their reactions from it. And, it wasn't just the site, itself, becoming red and raised; but various other areas in the muscle becoming red and raised, too. Ah, well, am just glad he doesn't have to get them anymore. And, I don't have to be worried about exposure.

I knew I shouldn't have done it, but I just did. Quick google search, Anthrax and MSi, brings up numerous things on anthrax and optic neuritis, leading to MS. And, reactions to the vaccine being greater in those with MS, etc. But, no, I don't see anything aasserting that there is a definite, direct connection, you're right. Amber beads...those sound quite beautiful!

Minai

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried charcoal maybe 4 years ago. Yuck. Too hard to get the black liquid down.

I discovered the chlorella suggestion that Gigi's been talking about forever. I love chlorella.

Talk about mopping up. It can mop up alot of crap. Don't be surprised when your poop turns green.

The chlorella that I use is little green tablets. I can take 10-15 tablets, 15-30 minutes before a meal and I have had results with it.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take charcoal only in emergencies such as an intestinal herx. It works like a dream. I take the charcoal capsules.

I don't think I would take itlong term, although there are intestinal cleanses that have it and I think you take it for a week there (the one thatI do also has bentonite clay).

But it does absorb *everything*, so it is hard to take meds with it.

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chitosan & Welchol absorb "everything" (ie: drugs, supplements), too.

It seems that anything that binds - binds good with bad, as well. Best to take these binders away from meds or supplements & take extra in case of over-absorption. Just an educated guess, though.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I believe long term use is fine and perfectly safe.

wallace

from the above website
Will taking activated charcoal affect my medication?

In many cases yes. Activated charcoal is designed in such a way that it electrostatically attracts certain chemicals and micro-organisms. As a group, most compounds that are poisonous to the body are attracted to charcoal. Because most drugs are electro-chemically configured in a way similar to poisons and other toxic compounds, activated medicinal charcoal taken orally will often adsorb prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs. This is both a desirable and undesirable effect.

On the positive side, because of its strong attraction to many drugs, activated charcoal is used daily in Emergency Rooms to counteract the effects of poisoning from overdosing on medication, whether accidentally or intentionally (as in attempted suicide). Activated charcoal is also used in many different detox programs to adsorb the accumulation of drugs in the body (prescription or street). This prepares the individual to receive the benefits of a more holistic approach to recovering health without the body also having to cope with the side effects of poisonous drugs.

On the other hand, if there is any concern that activated charcoal will interfere with the desired effect of prescription or non-prescription drugs, it is recommended to take activated charcoal no closer than 1 to 11/2 hours before or 1 to 11/2 after taking drug medication.

This does not rule out applying activated charcoal externally in the form of a poultice or in a bath.

Will taking activated charcoal affect the nutritional value of the food I eat?

We cannot say categorically that charcoal does not depreciate the level of nutritive absorption in any way. But, both clinical observation of patients in hospitals and numerous animal studies have demonstrated charcoal poses no threat to nutritional uptake. While science has yet to prove this conclusively, it seems more prudent to say that if there is any adsorption of nutrients, it is so negligible that it has yet to be shown to compromise one's health. For instance, charcoal has been used for many years as a fecal deodorant for patients with ileostomies and colostomies. In spite of the fact that they may routinely take charcoal orally three times daily for years, it has never been demonstrated to nutritionally affect these individuals who are already at risk of nutritional deficiency. (Patient Care p. 152, October 30, 1977)

In one animal study, Dr. V. V. Frolkis, a famous Russian gerontologist, and his colleagues, demonstrated that the lifespan in older laboratory rats increased up to 34% by feeding them charcoal in their diet! (Experimental Gerontology 1984) Toxins, including free radicals, are believed to play a significant role in aging. But these ``loose canons'' will form a stable matrix with charcoal in the gut until they are eliminated from the body. Researchers concluded that the binding up of these toxins in the intestinal tract before they are absorbed or reabsorbed into the system may be one mechanism that allowed the rats to live longer and healthier.

There is some anecdotal evidence that activated charcoal will interfere with the absorption of artificial supplements. Again, if there is any concern that activated charcoal is compromising the absorption of essential food elements or artificial supplements, then simply adjust the intake of activated charcoal so as not to conflict, as in the case of drugs (see above).

While there is no evidence to suggest long-term use of charcoal is harmful, neither is there any research to suggest that activated charcoal should be taken as a daily supplement indefinitely.

Can activated charcoal be taken during pregnancy?

Yes, so far as is known, activated charcoal may be taken during pregnancy and lactation.

Can one overdose on charcoal?

By its very nature, charcoal does not lend itself to overindulgence. Because charcoal is neither digested nor absorbed in the gastro-intestinal tract, there is therefore no concern of overdosing on activated charcoal.

What is the dose for poisoning?

There is no clear consensus among those promoting charcoal in cases of poisoning, except that you can't give too much. There are no definite dosages, but there are three recommended formulas (Activated Charcoal in Medical Applications 1995):

Age - 2 1/2 to 5 Tablespoons (25gms to 50gms) for children
Body weight - 1 Tablespoon per 10lbs. (1gm per kg) body weight
Amount poison taken - 1 Tablespoon activated charcoal per 1/28 oz. (10gms per 1gm) of poison.

In case of poisoning it is vital to give activated charcoal as soon as possible and, if uncertain of the dosage, give more than you calculate you should. If possible consult the Poison Control Center or closest Emergency Clinic for further information and instruction.

Activated Charcoal is known to adsorb some heavy metals, and is included in an IAOMT protocol for the removal of mercury amalgam fillings. In referring to a detox program using oral activated charcoal for heavy metals, some have compared it to "oral" chelation therapy, BUT, without the negative side effects often associated with the use of EDTA, DMPS, and DMSA.

However, some substances are poorly adsorbed by charcoal including: Lithium, strong acids and bases, metals and inorganic minerals (such as sodium, iron, lead, iodine, fluorine, and boric acid); alcohols (such as ethanol, methanol, isopropyl alcohol, glycols, and acetone); and hydrocarbons such as petroleum distillates (e.g., cleaning fluid, coal oil, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner) and plant hydrocarbons (pine oil). Other antidotes are more effevtive. If possible consult the Poison Control Center or closest Emergency Clinic for further information and instruction.

What is the dose for poisoning in animals?

The Animal Poison Control Center recommends 1-3 gm of activated charcoal per 1kg body weight.

Again, if unsure, give more than you think.

Does taking activated charcoal orally produce any harmful side effects?

Charcoal is neither digested nor absorbed in the gastro-intestinal tract. As such there are no known adverse side effects to the use of activated charcoal. Taking activated charcoal orally will naturally turn the stool black. For those who have a predisposition to constipation, taking activated charcoal can have a binding affect if the patient does not drink sufficient fluids. For others, charcoal may work as a laxative.

As already mentioned, activated charcoal may interfere with drug medication.

The only published research we have found that suggests charcoal as contraindicated is in the treatment of variegate porphyria (VP), a rare skin disease (British Journal of Dermatology December 2003). There are eight classes of porphyria. Initial research with congenital erythropoietic porphyria (CEP), or Gunther's disease, found activated charcoal to be helpful (New England Journal of Medicine 1987). When later trials were made with VP, it was expected that there would be similar benefits with activated charcoal or, at worst, no effect at all. Instead there was a completely unexpected increase in skin disease, urine and plasma porphyrins. The results were said to be ``paradoxical'' and ``unexplainable''. It may be that subsequent research will discover the cause of the out-of-character results of this first trial.

Are there any hazards to using activated charcoal?

The only hazards associated with activated charcoal are those connected with its use in hospitals. Only three hazards are listed - aspiration, bowel obstruction, or constipation. In each of the reported cases activated charcoal was implicated by association with either the accidental perforation of the windpipe during intubation, the use of some drug resulting in bowel obstruction, or dehydration of the patient resulting in severe constipation. It should be noted that the complications attributed to charcoal were secondary to medical error on the part of the hospital staff.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started taking charcoal on the advice of my herbalist muscle tester. I take it 4 hours away from abx and at least an hour away from food or anything else. I take it 2X per day. It's a real feat fitting everything in these days.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I had a really strong reaction to taking charcoal, now I only take 2 teaspoons daily so I can slowly get used to it.

wallace

clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a strong reaction to charcoal also, many years ago, and stopped using it. Not sure why exactly, but I sometimes wonder if having leaky gut syndrome back then might have had something to do with it.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I think it is worth taking despite my strong reactions to it. I am now reducing it to 1 teaspoon a day which I can tolerate.

Wallace

knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it in the middle of the night, so it's hours away from all my supplements and abx/meds, etc.

I was herxing day after day about a week ago and I couldn't seem to feel better, then I took charcoal and I felt much better the next day.

It could have nothing to do with it, but oh well. I felt better. That's all that matters.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

I will pulse charcoal as I do find it very powerful.

I note Gigi says it should be only taken short term so pulsing kinda fulfills her advice!!!

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

As in either 2 days a week or 1 week every month

W

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement