LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LIVING IN MIGRAINIA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LIVING IN MIGRAINIA
troopergirl7
Member # 8806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troopergirl7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for all your posts. I really needed to be reminded of the ROOT of the migraines that have plagued me for the last month since I had a PICC line put in to get Rocephin into my body. I have Babs and neuro Lyme, and the headahces have never lasted this long.

I have taken Imitrex for an extended period, not knowing it was only an acute med, to be used only 3 times a week. Now I am trying to taper off of it. Can't tell whether I'm having rebound headaches or whether some Lyme demon has me. MY LLMD took me off the Rocephin, Mepron, and Zithromax that I was on trying to see if the migraines would abate. They are getting better, but as I get ready to drop completely off Imitrex, I wonder what will happen. I started Topomax this week, but after reading its profile, and all your posts about how migraine meds don't cure migraines; Lyme treatment stops migraines. Has anyone else had such an experience with Imitrex and rebound Migraines. If so, do you have any advice? I know you're not docs; neither am I. Just walkin' the Lyme walk.

Thank you.

Healing wishes to you all,

Claire

Posts: 5 | From Washington State | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trooper

Yep I have had migraines like you are experancing-
No Fun-- Nothing I tried helped at all- but
I never tried the migraine shots(name?)

For me treating Babs has made all the differance-

Now I rearly have a headache--AAAhhhhh

It dose take awhile for Babs treatment to help-
I think it depends on how long you have been infected---took about 4 months for the major
migraines to stop for me--

Each time I herx or change meds the migrains
come back alittle but not as bad--

They will stop--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Claire.

FEELIN your pain!!! I'm so sorry!

I too have headache as my main enemy and like you, have lyme and babesia WA-1. Do you have WA1 or b. microti (since you're in Washington I'm figgerin WA-1)?

After beginning babesia medication (regimen like yours), the pain increased so much I actually thought I would die of a stroke, the headache was that bad. Worse than anything ever.

Relpax is my poison of choice as it seems longer-lasting than Imitrex. Fortunately, my insurance company believes I could never possibly have more than 6 bad headaches a month. HAH!! So I use them only for headaches that are an 8 on the Richter scale, and then only if they last for hours. (Yeah, I know, you're supposed to take them at the beginning of a headache, but that would be nearly every day.)

The main thing is, keep at the babesia treatment, as it is fully expected to nearly demolish your head in the process of getting you better. That's not to say you can't back down then sneak back up on it, but DO get back in the saddle.

I take Topomax at night, it helps at least a little and I'll take all the help I can get.

How long had you been doing the babesia treatment?

MAJOR worsening is expected but great improvement will happen!!

I don't know of much in the class of Relpax and Imitrex that will help; I personally am not helped by painkillers, i.e., Vicodin, etc.

However, my LLMD told me I might try taking a couple Niacin tablets. NOT the no-flush or time-release variety. It opens up your capillaries and increases blood flow. I did try it and man, did it ever set me on fire with heat and tingling, then crazy itching!! Didn't help my head much, though. :-(

Hang in with the babesia treatment and there will be light at the end of the tunnel!

I'll send a prayer for headache free days!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Claire,
Migraines are one of my main symptoms, too. Some of mine are also hormonal. I have just started treatment for Babs, hoping it will help. I have had migraines for over 30 years!

I used to use Imitrex, but developed rebound HA's on it after a while. Now I use Amerge and/or Phrenilin Forte(like Fioricet but no caffeine).

I also have Percocet and Phenergan on hand when the others dont work. Sometimes I still end up in ER for a shot, but much less often after a year and half of Lyme treatment. Hope you get relief soon,
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Trooper!

I have had migraines for 5 years, mostly around hormonal monthlies. On Rocephin IV, the migraines were beyond intense! Besides the behind-the-eye pain, it felt like a pile-driver was working through the middle of my head.

After stopping the Rocephin IV and moving onto zithromax oral abx, I had 3 migraine-free months. On the fourth month, the migraine hit -- but not the pile-driver kind. I've found that the eye pain is lingering longer although at a much lesser degree.

I have no good suggestions for pain killers. I'll slowly be treating the babesia -- it seems to be changing things at a creeping pace.

Good thoughts your way,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shutterbug
Member # 10333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shutterbug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Troopergirl,
I have had killer headaches in the front of my head and at the temples. At times it feels like my eyes will just pop out, haha! But really, they are very painful headaches. I take topomax @ 100mg twice a day. And it helps. Doesn't completely stop the headaches, but is sure does help out. One side effect I don't like is I have trouble with spelling and forming words. But it sure beats the terrible pain of migraines.

Well I hope the topamax helps you, I don't know what doseage you are on, but it did nothing for me until I tried 50mg, and did better on 100mg. And that is twice a day.

Take Care!

Shutterbug

--------------------
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Take Care!
Shutterbug!

Posts: 14 | From N/A | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I am new to this, but it sounds to me like a herx reaction. My 17 yr old dd has had a migraine non stop since Jan- when the lyme symptoms began. Going to llmd ASAP! In the meantime we have been trying to help mainly with the pain and fatigue. Nothing has helped much.

I am begining to believe that "lyme migraines" are not the same kind of migraines others have since they do not respond to migraine preventatives or abortatives. Not even pain relievers do much!

We spent last night in the ER and the dr said he gave her more delauted (form of morphine) than he had ever given anybody before. That plus 4 other meds just brought the pain down some. They did knock her out so she could finally get some sleep, but she kept stopping breathing! This is the first time the joint and migrating pains were as bad as the migraine. The pain killers did not help them much either. Next we try a narcotic patch!

What scares me is if the Lyme and related illnesses treatment causes Herx pain to be greater than this and the pain meds don't hardly dent the pain, my dd will not complete the treatment. We much hang in there and support each other!

Kay

[ 23. October 2006, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: MommaK ]

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement