LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ZOLOFT (sertraline)or ELAVIL (amitriptyline)?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ZOLOFT (sertraline)or ELAVIL (amitriptyline)?
surfbabe
Member # 8157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

which SSRI is more commonly prescribed for lymies & better tolerated?:
-ZOLOFT (sertraline)
-ELAVIL (amitriptyline)

do they have different effects & uses?

My LLMD has suggested trying one to help concentration levels & dizziness/vertigo & reduce panic attacks

thanks [Smile]

Posts: 47 | From SP | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi surfbabe,

Amitriptyline, to the best of my sketchy knowledge, is not a SSRI. It is an older tricyclic antidepressant with fairly sedating (tiring too) qualities the higher the dose you take. I know that it helped me sleep at even a tiny fraction of a dose. Over time, I did get a weird heart beat thing with it; but, it wasn't alarming at the time. If memory serves me correctly, it is also used for non-psychiatric purposes, like for back pain and bladder issues.

I've tried zoloft and the newer SSRIs and they make me wiggy...but, I have difficulty with most drugs and really have to try alot to find one that works. Tried to take SSRIs and got more anxious and was told to take sedatives for the sake of the antidepressant factor in the SSRIs. Didn't work for me.

The tricyclics are easier to come off of than the SSRIs -- but that isn't any reason to avoid SSRIs.

Have heard people say good stuff about Klonopin for anxiety.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I thought I'd toss what I know into the circle.

Best O'best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only thing that helps me sleep is elavil. i've tried trazadone, paxil, pamelor, you name it. i literally bounced off the walls and my heart went crazy.

i'm only on 10 mg but it works. puts me right out. other than being a little groggy the next day, i'm ok.

heck, at least i'm sleeping.....

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take zoloft ,trileptal, and trazadone.
zoloft was the only ssri i could take
trileptal was given to stop highs and lows.
trazadone (very similar to elavil)
i take at night with trazadone and clonopin to sleep.

i am very medicine sensitive.
if there is a reation i will get it.
i tried 25 ssri's and older meds prior to
the zoloft.
never get to theraputic doses.

right now my biggest problem is dry mouth and severe dry eyes.
restasis for the eyes.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy or rent the book,

Prescription Alternatives Third Edition

By Earl L. Mindell

This book is VERY good. Tells of each antidepressant and what transmitor it affects

like serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine.

VERY good to know.

I went to a ND that dealt with Phenolics, and used these drops for depression and so on.

He gave me a list of the symptoms of...
Dopamine deficency,

Serotonin Deficency,

norepinephrine deficiency.

I would think that this would be GOOD to know that way when you get this book you can KNOW which antidepressant to take.

I will look to find this sheet to paste to everyone.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only one way to find out [Big Grin]

For pain elavil had an amazing effect. Paxil worked in the begining phases of my disease for social phobias. Zoloft didn't do much for me. It's all hit or miss. I currently take clonazapam for anxiety attacks but I'm slowly getting off it with a Lithium/Taurine combination.

Lithium has been bad mouthed because...well it's not patentable and they can't make $$$ of us. It's by far less damaging and has even been termed neuro-protective.

Here's a site on Lithium...best of luck

The new data suggest that lithium may calm overexcited areas of the brain or, more provocatively, preserve the life of brain cells whose presence guards against manic depression.

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/3_14_98/fob3.htm

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people who take amitriptyline gain weight. So if you take this one, watch out for that. It increases appetite dramatically. It also can make it very hard to wake up in the morn, but as soon as you get going, the fog resolves. Good for sleep. I took it once for about 8 months or so when I had a horrible fall on the ice and badly bruised both sciatic nerves. Before starting amiltriptyline, I could hardly walk. This drug helped significantly with the horrible pain I was having.
Posts: 2276 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elavil will pack it on!

My daughter takes Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. That combo has been great for her. She started this whole mess with psych issues before it went body-wide.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't take any of that garbage. I'm doing enough damage to my body with abx without throwing this crap in there too. In the long run they will complicate your Tx. Interactions with other drugs are not fully known. Be sure and check out the side effects before you take a gamble, and that's just what it is, a gamble. Here's the side effects for Elavil. Not for me, thank you.

Side effects:
Anticholinergic effects (e.g. dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary retention, constipation, palpitations, tachycardia, associated sublingual adenitis or gingivitis). Weight loss or gain. Tinnitus, drowsiness, nervousness, insomnia, Hypotension, dizziness, rash sweating, confusion, mania, psychosis, heart block, arrhythmias, extrapyramidal symptoms. Gastric upset. Endocrine effects (e.g. changes in libido, impotence, gynecomastia, galactorrhea). Rarely, bone marrow depression, hepatic toxicity, seizures, peripheral neuropathy, severe cardiovascular effects in patients with cardiac disease, photosensitivity, Dysarthria, stuttering, renal failure. Withdrawal symptoms.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on most of things coming out on the market over the years.

Using ZOLOFT for mood swings/keeping temper from flying off the handle.

Amytriptiline...BAD NEWS FOR ME! 3-5 times I had 4x6" patch of SKIN peel off my R. shoulder in 3-6 months. Had 4 skin biopsies; 1 showed "UNKNOWN BUG BITE...UNDETERMINED"!

So they felt I was 1 of 100,000 folks who REACTED TO MED! Took me off immediately and never bothered again. I was a walking zombie on it!

OR, was it the lyme disease acting up? I'll never know. Bettyg [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do well on elavil (and yes, that is correct about it not being an SSRI, it is a tricyclic) -- I take a small dose at bed (usually only 25 mgs, though I have taken up to 75 at times) for sleep -- It does help, and it doesn't make me a zombie. I've been losing weight ( I needed to lose it) since starting treatment, and the elavil hasn't changed that. I can't tell that it has done much to relieve pain, however.

I've taken Paxil -- a cousin of Zoloft-- in the past, and it helped my neuropsych stuff a great deal at the time. I tolerated it well. I'm now on Cymbalta (works on norepinephrine as well as serotonin) -- I was put on it for pain, and though I can't tell how much it does or doesn't help with that, it does seem to help control the mood symptoms that can go with herxing. I haven't had any bad effects from it that I can tell.

I also tend to tolerate most meds well, so keep that in mind.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the most important thing about any of these meds is they should be given by a very good psychiatrist

the medicines alone will only help to a point.
they must be titrated to the correct dose.
and changed constantly, no LLMD can do this.

there are many cases i know i'm not the only one ,that have many meds prior to finding the right combo.
this a scary time , because the side effects are extreme.

along with drug therapy, psycotherapy is
totally necessary.
the drugs can only do so much.
with psycotherapy your only doing half the job.
usually woman are better than men at this, since they tend to show compasion better.

it is beat to shop around , talk to the therapist for a consult before picking.
remember, this person will be like your best \
friend and they need to understand what you are going thru.

it is best if you can find one, to use a therapist that deals with job burnout,
chronic illnesses, and also family issues.

yes they are out there but you have to
shop. the best place to ask is an oncologist in the area. they know therapist that deal with disease, family and unable to work.
they usually work in tandem with the oncologist.

they may also help you find a lawyer that can help you with health benefits and work
related problems. ie workman's comp.
missing work, lethargic at work, filing for
ssdis.

all these usually work as a team with the oncologist as a team leader.

most llmd's don't have the circle of trust
to provide a team of support.

good luck,

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayYesh
Member # 8343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayYesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would stay away from the "older" antidepressants, the tricyclics, e.g., Elavil. Too many side effects IMO. I used to work for the company that made one of them - answering questions on the products, etc.

I am on an SSRI, Lexapro, a low dose, 1/2 tab/day, and am doing fine. It really has made a difference in my brain functioning.

I had started on Zoloft. My prescriber described it as the aspirin of the antidepressants. I did very well on Z, but had a rash, and had to switch.

Oh, and make sure you monitor how you feel when taking these drugs. They often try to push you to take the "optimal" dose. But one size DOES NOT FIT ALL. Too much and it did wig me out. That is why I only need a small dose. I was insistent on not sticking with a higher dose. Start out low and slow and see how it goes.

Good luck !

Posts: 90 | From New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surfbabe
Member # 8157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all - wow thanks so much for your help - never expected to get so many replies [Smile]

I've learned so much - i never knew amitriptyline was not a SSRI so i guess that's not a good option if it makes you sleepy as i really want it to help concentration levels.

has anyone found zoloft good for concentration?

quote:
Originally posted by Health:
Buy or rent the book,

Prescription Alternatives Third Edition

By Earl L. Mindell

This book is VERY good. Tells of each antidepressant and what transmitor it affects

like serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine.

sounds interesting Trisha - that would be great of you could paste the page here for us to see.

Thanks again everyone [Smile]

Posts: 47 | From SP | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement