LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wife needs natural balancing hormones??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wife needs natural balancing hormones??
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She just called me from a OBGYN office and they said they want to put her on birth control pills. She has always had trouble with menses but since lyme well lets just say she has dryed up went a year withpout a period.

So this is the second time I have tryed to chase down whats wrong with now 2 different Dr's and Now the second Dr is doing just the same as the last Dr birth control pills to regulate and jump start her period.

{By the way it was our LLMD who first noticed her thyroid was low and precribed synthroid real low dose though}

By the way wifes in her thirties and very young looking.

Anyway with all the woman on here is there anything that has helped you get normal or close to it naturalY???

Any insight is appreciated.

ps this one sorta peed me off wife called me at work and passed me over to I guess it was receptionest and she started asking me about needing my family income before taxes and I said what for and she said we need it for billing I said no you dont I have good insurance and in all the years I have never had that asked of me and she started getting insistant tone and I said no.

Wright the prescription and bill my insurance for the visit today and my plan will handle it I think theres something fishy here? I have good insurance not the best but good its supplied by the state whom I work for. I dont have medicare or anything like that where it might be a factor. What do you guys make of that?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had it to do over again, I would never have taken BC pills or HRT. I developed BC early this year (very early stage detected by a mammogram) and had no other risk factors besides taking hormones.

You may want to consider having your wife see one of those docs who specialize in natural hormone balance. There are natural estrogens and progesterone that can help balance things out. There is a spit test she can take which will tell exactly where her hormones are and what she needs to replace. This would be much safer in the long run.

Look up the writings of John Lee MD. He has several books on the subject. If you have trouble finding info, feel free to PM or post again and I will find it for you.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/hbsimple.html

This is not to say that your wife is in menopause, but the same principles apply. I have a sister who went through the same thing in her 30's and she was helped greatly by bioidentical hormones.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vitex is used to regulate menstrual cycles.
Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hope4Better
Member # 10075

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hope4Better     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vitex works really well.. a product by quantum its a tincture its called " female hormone balance( vitex)" and its other herbs to back the vitex up...

--------------------
If Your Going Through Hell, Keep Going...

Posts: 99 | From Shepherdstown, WV | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks she's always had some sorta menstral irregularities but with lyme its pretty much just stopped working?

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning to make an appointment with an M.D. (there are a few I've found here, plus some naturopaths) that test hormone levels then supplement with bio-identical hormones.

I've never been able to tolerate synthetic hormones, even before Lyme. I've had thyroid disease for years so that may be part of it.

The John Lee books are good, Suzanne Somers (the actress) has written a couple of books lately on bio-identical hormones. I even went to a seminar on it where she was a speaker along with a doctor who uses them.

I'm also planning to get my adrenals checked because I think they are out of whack due to Lyme, and all the hormones interact.

If you can't find an MD that does bio-identical hormones in your area, you can try calling a compounding pharmacy and find out if they know of an M.D. - possibly an OB-GYN - who uses them. Most bio-identical hormones are made up at compounding pharmacies.

Good luck. I can empathize with the double whammy of Lyme and hormonal issues.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the new OB/GYN an endocrinologist? If not---get to one right away. Endocrinologist/GYN is more what you need. If the doc she is seeing really is an OB and you arent planning any children now---waste of time. OBs focus on the baby factor---that is where they make their money. endocrinloogist will know more about the balance of hormones and other chemicals in her body. They dont know everything and complex cases of lyme really trip them up, but they know more than most ob/gyns.

Dont know what to say about what the secretary said except---are they out-of-network? If so they may be trying to figure out a sliding scale. My GYN is out-of-network because he does excision for endometriosis---yet another thing that is NOT covered by insurance but is proven to WORK.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Suzanne Somers talking about Hormone Therapy on Larry King and the View. I personally don't care for her, but this Hormone therapy that she talks about sound pretty helpful... She wrote a book about it called Ageless... You can read a little about it at suzannesomers.com . Good Luck!

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by trails:
Is the new OB/GYN an endocrinologist? If not---get to one right away. Endocrinologist/GYN is more what you need. If the doc she is seeing really is an OB and you arent planning any children now---waste of time. OBs focus on the baby factor---that is where they make their money. endocrinloogist will know more about the balance of hormones and other chemicals in her body. They dont know everything and complex cases of lyme really trip them up, but they know more than most ob/gyns.

Dont know what to say about what the secretary said except---are they out-of-network? If so they may be trying to figure out a sliding scale. My GYN is out-of-network because he does excision for endometriosis---yet another thing that is NOT covered by insurance but is proven to WORK.

This has been whats going on trails sure we would like a baby but her and I would rather she be safe,healthy.
Thats why Iam aiming at natural but OBGY endo is hard to find if there is one in PA I wish they would come forward.

--------------------

Newbie Links

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't had time to read all the posts. In case no one has mentioned, Meridian Valley Lab in Renton, WA do the 24-hour urine test for hormones and adrenal panel. Saliva tests are not conclusive (per my doctor). Yes, I think it's a good idea to call your nearest compounding pharmacy - they know the doctors who use the bio-identical methods.

John Lee, MD's info is good. Check his website.
He is no longer with us, but the products he favored "Life-Flo" is still around. I use their DHEA Plus. I also use their Progesterone if I run out of the compound capsules.

Life-Flo also used to do a variety of tests. They send you the kits, etc. Their phone is
888-999-7440. www.life-flo.com.

They do have a tape of a seminar by John Lee, MD that is very worthwhile listening to. Maybe they can send it to you. They balked a little when I called them recently, but they sent me one - usually health food stores who carry their brand have the tapes free.

Nothing works well if at all, if the hormones are off.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sadie420
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sadie420     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into Bio Identical Hormones and Armour (natural) instead of Synthroid (synthetic) for her Thyroid.

Sadie

Posts: 115 | From new york | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls on "swim teams"/other athletic teams often also stop having periods.

Lactic acid looks to "downregulate" the hormones that trigger menses.

Look very closely at Gluco Reg by Solaray AND Alka Max by Trimedica. See what they contain (!)

Discuss these supps. with her doctor.

May help to make her more alkaline while...working in other ways.

Be patient. They may take awhile to kick in. Timing and doses may need to be adjusted.

For a primer:

http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement