LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy question
run4fun
Member # 10204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run4fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading Dr. B's treatment recommendations

I feel like the 200mg per day rx for Doxy is too

little and will do nothing. Thinking about taking

three a day.

ANyone have any feedback or experience etc?

thanks

Posts: 45 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Daisy*
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Daisy*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 200 mg twice a day and it was rough. I don't like doxy.

--------------------
Daisy

Posts: 122 | From at the computer | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i took 200mg/ day thought it was too little until i herxed hard on it. i dont weigh that much though so i dont need much to set off a herx.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Run, You need to do what your dr says.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to your doctor about your concerns and the reasons. Perhaps he will increase your dosing, or perhaps he will explain why you need to stay where you are.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radiogirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do what your doc says and to ease your mind some lyme is also intracellular and 200mgs a day has been shown to be effective for that form of infection.

I herxed hard on that dose as well .And whatever else is living in your white blood cells which could be one of 100 species of cell wall deficient bacteria get zapped as well.

I also think some docs want to let you build up to the effective level of 4-600mgs a day keet killing dose so you can function .

This is what my very respected LLMD from MO told me and so far hes been right.Hope this helps a little.You can find out more about what bacteria can enjoy hanging out inside your immune cells other than borrellia at www.immed.org Doxy is great at killing em.

So go ahead keep murdering them its OK with me and have a good weekend,RG

Posts: 140 | From Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took that dose plus biaxin: 3 days on 1; off 2 days, and then 3 days on other abx, 2 days off then started other again for 20 months.

Had another IGX western blot igm/igg 4-06; NOT as many positives as the 1st time 2 yrs. ago!
Bettyg [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run4fun
Member # 10204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run4fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm supposed to do what my Doctor says...and although he is very good...I think he is very conservative and unless its in the medical journals, I'm not sure he is really going to know about it or try things that arent precisely documented. I dont think that the AMA is a fair playing field and so therefore I dont really trust their "research" or protocols. As good as my doc is...you cant talk to the man unless you have an appt...you have to pass messages through the nurses...there is no treatment discussion directly with him after the test results come in. I'll call again and tell him my concerns and that I would like to take a higher dosage, but honestly, I have a tough time trusting that docs know best. I know how this sounds and I'm NO doc, but often times its so frustrating to keep going to a doc and the bottom line is you have to somehow help your self, treat yourself and pretty much use him for labs and prescriptions...then I doubt the labs...is it accurate...do they know what their doing? Is it just me? Maybe I'm truly losing it! [loco]
Posts: 45 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run4fun
Member # 10204

I just dont want to waste time and be on abx if its not going to be at the KILLER level. I REALLY like Dr. E...he listens and he "gets it" but I fear he may not be aggressive enough?
What is even more confusing is all the tests for all the possible coinfections and every possibility that he tests for comes back negative...including the Lymes, which he feels is a false negative due to symptoms and a recent tic bite...all of it being negative though puts just a touch of doubt into my mind that I'm taking abx, which I hate taking, for nothing and maybe it is something else or I'm not doing something right or eating the wrong things...self blame stuff...
Talking through his receptionists is very frustrating as they sometimes get it wrong, or just half the message and then you have to wait for a call back. I asked if I could speak with Dr. E, they said he is way too busy and when he isnt seeing patients he is dictating.
They should hire a nurse that is Lyme literate etc and have her be available for calls and concerns as well as discussing your test results.
Sorry to go on all about me...
What sort of pain are you in?
Did Dr. E say he might change your treatment based on the results? How much longer do you have to wait?
Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not looney...this stuff sure can play with your head.
christina

painx
Member # 10465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is even more confusing is all the tests for all the possible coinfections and every possibility that he tests for comes back negative...including the Lymes, which he feels is a false negative due to symptoms and a recent tic bite...all of it being negative though puts just a touch of doubt into my mind that I'm taking abx, which I hate taking, for nothing and maybe it is something else or I'm not doing something right or eating the wrong things...self blame stuff...

Dear Run4Fun,
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm in exactly the same situation, although my doctor is a tad more accessible it sounds.

Still, my most recent tests are all negative. I did test positive for Lyme 5-6 years ago and was treated with only 2 weeks anbx.

Eight months ago, I started to hurt all over, particularly getting up from prone position or sitting, and especially getting out of bed during the night or in the morning. I have both muscle and joint pain, and I get really stiff when I'm not moving; but all RA and arthritis tests are negative too.

So, while I suspect late/chronic Lyme (or even a new infection, given all the ticks around the house), I also wonder if I should be taking doxy and, if so, am I taking enough?? Like you, I'm on 200 mg./day -- I did one month during late summer, and just started another month recently. However, I stopped in the middle of it because I decided it was more likely fibromyalgia, but then changed my mind again, and started taking it again. [bonk] [Embarrassed]

I couldn't be more uncertain or confused -- particularly because there's no confirming test, so there's always that bit of doubt! [confused] [dizzy]

On top of that, I had to dig yet another deer tick out of my shoulder just yesterday! I'm in the woods in CT, and they're everywhere (as are the deer, the mice, the bears and foxes)! My dog is currently being treated for ehrlichia (he tested positive; no Lyme though). My own ehrlichia test was negative of course. [Roll Eyes]

Just thought I'd reassure you that you're not alone wondering whether you're doing the right thing, or even being treated for the right illness. [Frown]

I've never been one to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary, so I have been reluctant even to pursue doxy treatment... yet here I am...

What are your primary symptoms?
Hope you get some relief soon!!! [group hug]
Carol in CT

Posts: 4 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run4fun
Member # 10204

Thanks for the reassurance Carol...sometimes I feel like I'm nuts and the only one doubting this whole godawful medical

testing and treatment deal. What is real? I try to think what made me feel better those times I

did and except for the initial treatment of Doxy when firt bitten 7 years ago, I cant remember any

medical treatment that really gave me relief...it always seemed that the stuff ran its cycle and

during the spring/summer I felt pretty good and then around this time each year I start feeling

like crap again. Who do you believe? Your supposed
to believe the docs...but how much do they really

know and how conservative are they, open minded, truly educated in the field? My Doc really is one

of the top docs and has saved many lives I'm sure but sometimes I just dont hear or feel the confidence

in his treatment plan or abx decision. SO I either get so desparate that I do what he says, or

after a while if there is no change, I get so angry i just try things on my own and struggle through.

My symptoms are mostly neuro...major anxiety, mood swings, personality change, fatigue, heart

palps, cant sleep, crazy feeling and some nausea, etc. I'm also always freezing inside and hot outside...

I also wonder, if there is no relief from the Doxy than doesnt that mean its NOT working?

Do you think your symptoms could be neurotoxins?
Or are you reinfected? Like you said though

why the constant negatives? There has to be some
testing that is sensitive and more accurate...no?

Check out chronicneurotoxin.com I found it very
interesting, took the vision test and did the

protocol for 6 weeks with success. It cleared many symptoms, but not these Lymes ones and so

I'll give the ole Doxy a try. I'm SO sick of the whole experiment though. Try this one...now that

this and that...still nothing...try this new one. UHG! I'm like you, I dont even go to a doc unless

its absolutely necessary, let alone take meds. Now its been 7 years on and off abx. So I guess

I'll do the doxy for a month, but I am going to call the doc Monday and tell him I dont feel the

levels are high enough and see what he says. The physical symptoms you describe sound awful...how do

you get through? Does anything give you relief? I sure hope so! Let's keep on supporting each other

as sometimes I feel like a "black sheep" for doubting and questioning everything.

thanks again

Christina

Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Runs, it's really common to feel this lack of confidence in your diagnosis. We've all been there!

When your testing is negative, often your LLMD will start you off on low doses as a kind of diagnostic measure in itself. He'll be interested to see how you do on it. Do you suffer a herxheimer reaction to it? Do you feel better on it? Worse? These answers are actually tools to help guide him in what to do when he sees you next.

So try not to be frustrated. Even an apparent lack of progress is a part of the puzzle.

Sometimes if your LLMD's staff is not that lyme-literate, you can simplify communication by sending a little fax to your doc. Short, sweet, and with a couple questions clearly set forth. He might pen in an answer and fax it back, or have his staff call you. This is much more hopeful than getting through on the phone. You might be charged for this. But try and be patient and unless concerns seem of an urgent nature, many times old Lyme-netters can help.

Be sure and let your LLMD know if you're intending to start any supplements or regimens he's unaware of.

Hang in there, and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like you I am also in a doxy dilemma-thought I was undertreated so now doing a second round at 400mg/day this time...

I did have some mild herx symptoms while on the 200mg/day.

While reading the accompanying RX info sheet found it interesting to note that some of the possible side effects for doxy read like a LD symptom list...headache, joint pain, fatigue, blurred vision (and this is for the suggested dosage, not doubled!)

Go figure!!!!

How to know if you feel crummy from the meds or a herx??? Guess time will tell -

Good luck!
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run4fun
Member # 10204

Hi Michelle,
I know its all part of the process...like many, its been a long road of trying this and that and

seeing how I do on this and that and so I dont want to waste

6 weeks of seeing how I do with it, if its too conservative to do anything when I could be kicking

some Lyme butt on a more aggressive dosage. I called his office today actually and told him,

via a receptionist what
I thought about the low dosage. They called me back

and told me the doc would like to up my dosage.
So perhaps he needed a nudge? I dont know? Maybe

I'm just soured from the years of medical incompetence that got me in this condition in

the first place, when I trusted what they were doing and not doing as Im sure MANY Lyme patients

have experienced...unfortunately. So...the doxy is higher and I'll just have to see what happens

or put another call in if I'm tolerating this dosage well to perhaps up it again.

As sad and frustrating as it is...I think our health is completely in our own hands.

run [Smile]

run4fun
Member # 10204

Sue,
How do you feel on the 400mgs?

On the 200 I feel an intensification reaction in the afternoons, but still I would rather a higher

dosage to keep the blood levels up and kill IT even if that means I herx all day. The doc raised

it today to 300mgs. If that goes well this week I might request another hike.

Hope it works for you!
run

Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on 400 mg of doxy from the start. I'm only on day 2, but so far... some herxing but mostly nausea. I think if you take your doxy with some food it should help that.

My LLMD said he'd like to keep the doxy as high as my body will allow.

My understanding is that at 200 mg the doxy prevents the bacteria from growing. At 400 mg it actively kills bacteria.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi run4fun-
Hope you are doing better & making out OK on the 300mg-

I am into the 2nd week at 400mg & seem to be doing pretty good-trying to not eat ANY Halloween sweets hasn't been easy though.

I have cheated [Frown] (but not too much!) So far no herx to speak of...headaches over the weekend, but I could also attrribute them to the low-pressure system we had??? Sure hope it hits me over the weekend & not during the work week if it comes at all!

You have been on abx for Lyme before? Same LLMD? It does seem like a low dosage from what I have been reading-How long are you supposed to stay on the doxy? Seem to me your LLMD probably has a plan-
Take care-Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run4fun
Member # 10204

Hi Sue,
Tolerated the 300mg doxy pretty well...up to 400 now...rough spots of nausea and just a general ICKY feeling..

but mostly I feel extremely emotional and like I'm going crazy [loco] Can't stop crying, dont feel

like myself at all, dont know what I need to feel better, no fun to be around...not helping my relationship

or life's outlook in general. Am I going crazy? Or is it the doxy killing off the BUGS?

Hope your doing well and nothing hits during the workweek. BOy do I hear ya!

run

susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Hi again- The feelings you describe were exactly how I felt when first on the doxy (at 200mg) this summer. I was tired, touchy, anxious-making life especially difficult for my 16 yr old daughter!! It was like a 3 week PMS bender [Frown]

In the middle of all this, my daughter brought me some flowers from a farmstand for my b-day & a tick crawled off onto my kitchen counter-

Thought I'd need to be committed after that!!

I also was nauseous & felt like I was becoming anorexic-(not good as I am already underweight..)Was thrilled to finish the round of abx even though I wasn't yet symptom free!

In hindsight, I do think it was one 3 week long herx! Now that I am on the larger dose I am starving ALL the time (though it's tough to find suitable snacks without carbs & sugar) Living on cashews & almonds for lack of better ideas!

I do feel better-(less crazy-like!) so I hope that will happen for you too-How long are you on the doxy for?
Sue

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement