LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Response from CDC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Response from CDC
Nancy-FL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have received a reply to my letter to the CDC regarding there being two options for the treatment of Lyme, and that both should be recognized by the CDC. Here is the reply that I received:

Thank you for your letter regarding Lyme disease. I appreciate you taking time to share your concerns with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please excuse the delay of this response.

We understand that some patients feel passionately about the need to change the recommended protocols for diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease; however, there is simply not sufficient evidence to prove that available alternative tests or treatments are effective. In fact, there have been some very serious complications, including death, in patients receiving alternative treatments. Improved diagnostics and treatment for Lyme disease are among our greatest concerns. As soon as there is evidence from clinical and scientific research for more promising approaches, please be assured that CDC will work aggressively to distribute such information to physicians and to the public.

Thank you again for sharing your views. Please be assured that CDC takes very seriously the threat that Lyme disease poses to public health.

Sincerely,

Julie Louise Gerberding, M.D., M.P.H.
Director

Posts: 119 | From Southwest Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have news for you ... this is a form letter they are sending out to all of us who write to them about this issue. A friend of mine received the EXACT SAME LETTER. Guess they are not bothering to read any of them, just filing them in file "trashcan".

"there is simply not sufficient evidence to prove that available alternative tests or treatments are effective"

She is nothing more than a parrot, spouting off what she has been told. Guess that new study by the CDC hasn't crossed her desk. Talk about being railroaded!

What BS.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the exact same letter too.

I sent it back to them with a few comments written in beside their comments.

Interesting....Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my letter back to someone at the CDC who actually responded to me personally....

Hi *****~ I just thought I would share with you that I did hear back from
Julie Gerberding at the CDC. Unfortunately, her letter to me was a
standard form letter that gets sent out to anyone who writes to the CDC with
regard to lyme disease. How do I know this? It is posted on a lyme web
site...several of us have gotten the exact same letter.

Unlike you, who actually read my letter, she did not. She did not respond
to my specific concerns at all. It is sad to see my efforts reach a dead
end. Sadder still that the CDC does not care enough to read our concerns
with regard to this disease.

I did return her letter to her...and wrote in my concerns (again) next to
her comments.

I want to thank you again for taking the time to read and respond to my
letter. People like yourself give me hope that change is possible. If
you can think of someone else to send along my letter and concern to besides
Ms. Gerberding, please do. She obviously, cares little for those who
suffer with Lyme disease.

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nancy-FL:
As soon as there is evidence from clinical and scientific research for more promising approaches, please be assured that CDC will work aggressively to distribute such information to physicians and to the public.

Thank you again for sharing your views. Please be assured that CDC takes very seriously the threat that Lyme disease poses to public health.

There's PLENTY of evidence that long term treatment works. They just don't WANT to see it for what it is!

And NO, they DON'T take seriously the threat to public health. [cussing] [Mad] [cussing]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I just add here, please don't get discouraged and give up. SAVE those letters and send them somewhere that might actually make a difference: your Congressperson or Senator. Please let me stress here...the CDC does not lead in matters of public health, they follow. They will not make watershed decisions or break ranks with professional associations. Congress has the power/ability to legislate where public health dollars go. THIS is the route.....
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting Julie....and breaking up that LONG SOLID BLOCK OF TEXT ....

"We understand that some patients feel passionately about the need to change the recommended protocols for diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease;

however, there is simply not sufficient evidence to prove that available alternative tests or treatments are effective .

In fact, there have been some very serious complications, including death, in patients receiving alternative treatments .

Improved diagnostics and treatment for Lyme disease are among our greatest concerns .
from Betty .... give me a break Julie! your GREATEST CONCERNS my butt!

As soon as there is evidence from clinical and scientific research for more promising approaches , please be assured that CDC will work aggressively to distribute such information to physicians and to the public.

Boy, what a blow job kissing us all off! hog wash!

Timaca, glad you got a PERSONAL response and replied back so eloquently! Way to go girl!
Bettyg [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-FL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you all for your comments.

Connie, I realized that this was a form letter, but had not seen a copy posted on Lymenet for others to read.

docjen, I agree that the responses could be of value in talking to Senators, Congresspeople, etc.

Lymetoo, I agree, I guess people who are receiving long-term treatment and who are getting better is not considered evidence.

And Timaca, I too am glad that you received a personal letter and that you responded as you did.

And Bettyg, let me repeat, HOGWASH!

Posts: 119 | From Southwest Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly does she mean by 'alternative' treatments? Does anyone know. (does she mean long-term abx or IV peroxide, Salt and C, Samento, what??)
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As soon as there is evidence from clinical and scientific research for more promising approaches"

With the dirth of LL research & $, many of us will be in assisted living or on Geritol by the time they get their research.

In the absence of LT abx & antimalarials, what else do they have to offer us that's efficacious & safer?

What about coinfections, metals, parasites, molds etc that seem to be indiginous to those with chronic Lyme?

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't Like Liver,
I am pretty sure she would consider anything but one 3 week course of low dose Doxy to be "alternative treatment". Pathetic.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement