LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I NEED HELP - SICK KITTY - LIVER ISSUES

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I NEED HELP - SICK KITTY - LIVER ISSUES
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't lyme related but it is medical and I'm in tears. I love this cat! I'm afraid if I put it in General nobody will see it.

My sweet kitty is only 5 years old and last Friday he started getting very jaundice - yellow skin. He had 104.5 fever.

Took him to 24 hour emergency - $400 whoa. The young know it all vet wanted to keep him overnight for $800 - we said, no, give him fluids, we'll wait it out til morning. She said he probably wouldn't make it.

Now his fever is gone, he's still one sick kitty and only eats what I give him in dropper - chicken/water blender, etc. Vet said try baby food.

I'm giving him Silver, Liver Detox drops, Xango, milk thistle, lots of prayer.

Its hard guessing on the amounts too. Anybody have any ideas on low to get his liver going?

My vet has given him antibiotics, sub-q liquids for hydration, cortisone (I know, I know), and B-12 shots - we've been going every other day for fluids but will try daily now.

My vet is so sweet and very open to alternative treatments. He says he has seen cats turn around at this stage - its just a gamble.

Thanks ~ Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy...I too had cats...

www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/

This is the address of the Cornell University School of Vet. Science Feline Hot line.

No one here is qualified to help you without seeing your cat (this IS not a pet board). Her problems could have many causes.

My heart goes out to you and you kitty.

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear this!!! Poor kitty!!!

I'll PM you about the Xango. I'm glad you're using it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JRW ~ thanks for the site - I know this isn't a pet board but I also know someone might say ~ hey, I tried this and it helped!

Lymetoo ~ I've been giving him a few dropperfuls spaced out during the day.

Do you think that is enough?

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy...until you have a reliable diagnosis, I would not give your cat anything. Pets react differently than humans, and since no one here (yet) is a Vet., I would be very careful.

Why are you asking us for help after you went to a Vet.? What happened, did you not get a good diagnosis?

I am a bit perplexed...if I spent 400 freakin'
dollars on my pet, I sure as hell would want some results!!!

Call the Cornell Feline Help Line...they are very good and the cost is minimal (aound $35) for experts.

Don't play Doctor with your cat's liver.

Peace, Love and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karatelady:

Lymetoo ~ I've been giving him a few dropperfuls spaced out during the day.

Do you think that is enough?

I would think maybe a few tablespoons per day...spaced out. Also try diluting it.

JR...I think karatelady wants other ideas since the vet has not given her much hope.

Am I right, KL?? Did the vet say you just have to "wait and see?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Daisy*
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Daisy*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karatelady has a right to post this on this board. It IS a medical question(even if it is about a cat) and it sounds like her vet has kinda done all they can do at this point. I think she is just looking to see what some of us may have done in the past.

I don't have any ideas for you but you are in my prayers, keep the baby as comfortable
as you can and I hope someone shows up who can help. [group hug]

--------------------
Daisy

Posts: 122 | From at the computer | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Thank you - Daisy and Lymetoo - that's exactly my point!

I know Lymeneters know more than most doctors and I thought maybe one of them had experienced liver issues with their kitties and found something that helped.

Its not like I'm asking about my Grandfather - its just a cat but a cat that I love and the vet said liver issues could be a number of things and cost in the thousands to figure out what it is and then a lot of the time it still can't save the animal.

Sandy

pegee4
Member # 9869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pegee4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3 kitties myself, all seniors now. I will say a prayer for your baby and hope it helps. Let us know. Peg

--------------------
To win this battle, make the time for exercise and fitness activities! There is no shortcut to any place worth going! pegee4

Posts: 59 | From Hamptons, New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prayers are with you and your kitty. I'm such a kitty lover (volunteered every day at cat adoption and rescue group), even though a cat is how I got Lyme. I still love them.

Is there anything in your home or around your home that is poisonous that she could have gotten into? I know it's impossible to figure out if she's an outdoor kitty.

But just give a glance around the house to see if a container of something under the sink, or something in the garage, etc. looks like it was open. Just a wild guess but I'm trying to think of something.

I agree that you want to get as good a professional opinion as you can - such as the hotline you were given, maybe call the ASPCA - I think they have a poison control hotline maybe they could give you some things to consider although you don't know the cause.

If it makes you feel any better, I was in borderline liver failure a year ago and my body healed by just leaving it alone. But that's because with Lyme I can't have steroids and all that. I will pray that your furbaby's body will heal.

One last thing, can you ask the vet if it's safe for cats to have lemon - such as lemon juice, lemon rind/peel, etc? This was one thing my Lyme naturopath recommended to me to help my liver heal. I believe it might be the d-limonene in lemon (especially peel) that helps one of the detoxification pathways of the liver in humans. Another Lyme patient in a similar situation was told the same thing by another practitioner.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Thank you Jill and Peg (fellow cat lovers),

All my cats are indoor cats. That's why they usually live a long time. I can't think of anything he could've gotten into.

I'll ask vet about lemon.

I appreciate your prayers very much. Thank you!

Sandy

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karatelady

I a very sorry to hear about your sick kitty [Frown]

I just googled " milk thistle & Cats". There where many sites on milk thistle & dogs & cats.

May be something but would run this by your vet first just to be sure.

hang in there [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy, I'm so sorry about your kitty. How is he doing today?

I've been doing some reading in a homeopathic and natural dog and pet care book I have, and as you already know, liver problems are serious and require veterinary care, which you are already doing.

Has your kitty been vaccinated in the last 2 or 3 months?

Have you used any flea or tick treatments on him or in your house recently?

Those two things seem to be the more overlooked causes of liver inflammation problems in both cats and dogs. Some pets are just more susceptible than others.

As to the size of a dose for Milk Thistle, it says to use no more than 1/8th of what a human dose would be, according to the label. If you have a large cat 1/8th would probably be okay. If you have a smaller cat, use a smaller dose.

Another thing recommended in this book that might be pretty easy to do is a broad-based amino acid supplement in the form of a protein drink such as body builders use - with no artificial chemicals or preservatives. This will reduce the liver's work load by avoiding the need for protein metabolism and elimination of the resultant by-products. Certain amino acids also have specific liver healing properties and help detoxify the liver. Maybe half a dropper full once or twice a day.

There are 3 homeopathic remedies suggested in the book. Based upon what you have said, and the fact that your cat had jaundice, it would appear that the remedy ``Chelidonium majus'' would be the best bet. However, if your vet suspects a bile duct obstruction or a ``fatty liver'' problem, then a different remedy may be indicated. So you'll have to PM me if that is the case.

If you decide to go with a homeopathic remedy, you want to get a 6x potency or a 3C potency if you can. If those are not available a 3x or a 6C potency would be okay. Please PM me for instructions on how to dose your cat with a homeopathic remedy. Giving the little dry pellets is NOT the most effective way. Believe me, I know this to be true from my own experience with myself and with my pets.

Homeopathy can work amazingly well if the right remedy is chosen. I hope you will at least consider it. And it will not interfere with any other treatments being given.

Well, that's about the best I can find for you. Hope it helps. Always consult your vet before doing anything, of course.

Thinking of you, [group hug]
Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikken
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indoor cat. Any chance his food intake dropped recently?

Google on "cats hepatic lipidosis". Cats are prone to a form of liver failure if they just stop eating for whatever reason.

You'll have to do some assisted feeding in very small amounts several times a day.

Dealing with HL is highly labor intensive, but it can be done.

Oh - and try and get him into the sunshine as much as possible - it can help his bilirubin levels decrease a little. Just make sure he can move out of the sunlight if he's too hot...

Good luck you to both!

Posts: 369 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning Sandy,

I am so very sorry about your dear kitty being ill. I am not sure how much help I can be, but will try.

I am posting here instead of returning your email, in hopes of helping others that may read and need help with this as well.

My kitty Bob is almost 9 yo, and just this year started to experience all sorts of health issues. When he brought a nymph tick into the house a few months back, I finally realized that he MUST be harboring some TBDs.

You see, he grew up on 12 acres with myself, my dog, and my husband. There were all manner of critters that roamed our land. And we all were bitten by ticks over and over again.

It took me about 15 years to realize I had LD when my immune system finally crashed. That same week, I discoved after doing my research that my beautiful Borzoi was also showing overt symptoms of TBDs. He developed congestive heart failure on the day I began him on meds, and I had to put him down.

So, you see, it would be miraculous IF my kitty Bob had not developed TBDs as well, since we all became sick from that experience.

I recently found a vet that would listen to me, even though all his TBD panel tests were negative...and we began him on a trail of Doxy 25mg just a couple of weeks ago.

He is now acting SO much better already, that we are all amazed! I knew in my heart, even with the absence of positive testing that he had to be harboring TBDs, and this trail of ABX proved that theory.

I feel very blessed that we found a vet willing to listen to me, and believe me...and do a trial treatment. The proof is evident now.

In animals with TBDs, the liver and heart are most commonly affected. It sounds as if your kitty is in a critical place right now, and requires special care from a very knowledgeable LL vet.

You don't want to over medicate, and throw him into too hard of a herx, but you also can't afford to wait and see what happens.

It is a very difficult place to be in, and my heart goes out to you.

If your kitties have always been indoor kitties, this complicates the picture...how could they have been infected?

Well, the answer MAY lie in the fact that if YOU have Bart or another TBD, it IS possible that you may have infected them. This is my opinion only based on the fact the WE can also become infected from kitties with Bart simply by petting them after they have groomed.

In other words, Bart is carried in the saliva of kitties. And if we pet them and get that pathogen on our hands, it can invade our systems through an open sore, cut, or through touching our eyes, nose, etc.

This has been proven...so, I really don't see how it wouldn't work the opposite way.

Also, we know that many TBDs can be transmitted through, lice, fleas, mosquitoes, flies, etc. So, if one of those things got to your kitty, it may have become infected that way as well.

The truth is you may never know HOW it happened. You just need to deal with what is now...a very sick kitty.

A differential diagnosis is definitely in order, but with a lack of any other cause, I tend to lean toward TBDs as a culprit. Just MY opinion from personal experience.

OK...

3 things you can do.

* Contact a very good LL vet.
Beth Jordan [email protected]

* Look through my recent post about my kitty, Bob. There is some very good info there supplied by our friends here.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=047740

* I would also PM LymeInHell. Her kitty was very ill, and has made remarkable progress with meds. Pick her brain to see what she did.

Again, I am so sorry, and wish you both the very best. Please be sure to let me know if I can help further!

Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Mikken, I'm sending you a pm.

Melanie - thanks so much for this information.
I too think its good for others to understand so they don't get this far into the illness with their pet.

I'm thinking since I started the raw diet my cat has lost weight and this can easily cause a large cat to get hepatic Lipodosis - fatty liver syndrome.

So I'm dropper feeding him every couple of hours and today the vet said he wasn't any worse and gave him sub-Q fluids. He also did abx.

Tracy has some homeopathics that will help this syndrome and has sent me an e-mail.

Thanks again ~ now to complicate things I've got to run down to Atlanta to my doctor.......ugh.

Sandy

badkitti30043
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badkitti30043     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi , I am so sorry about your kitty. Did the vet indicate the cause at all??If not then here are some thoughts.. it is alot of info I have gained in my lifetime of raising kittys, and the health issues I have had to deal with. I do not know alot about the liver but incase its sustemic I have added some ideas..

Thoughts that come to mind is there is a list of plants , herbs, foods, poisons . thru the humane society ( ASPCA).
ASPCA has a website with this info on toxic plants & herbs. Do a search on the internet for other meds etc- homeopathic or not as they may actually contain a lethal ingrediant to your cat- just because our body can handle something dows not mean theirs can.. be very careful - you could accidently make it much worse.

Has your house or apt. been sprayed recently for insects? Carpets new or recently cleaned- the chemicals can play a rolll. Anything else chemically treated- new furniture?. Wood decks have chemicals ( arsenic ) that is /are toxic to children & pets, especially if they clean their paws after walking on them.

There are tons of houseplants that are deadly to cats in the many of whuch are a form of Lilly family alone / some non flowering green plants that you don't expect to be a lilly variety are in fact just that and very common in homes..There are tons more too everything from chocolate to spices on our foods,There are also herbs/herbal remedies just as lethal to them..please look up toxin to cats etc 1st.

I am thinking if you know what the toxin or problem is then maybe it can be treated in time before it takes its full toll.Take a look at the lists and then consult another vet. or if you trust this vets judgement then stay with them.

Any possible exposure to antifreze at all? Its sweet and they will lick it off a garage floor orthe outside of the bottleor under a car...Leaks from car radiator in garage or whatever..?I think charcoal substance or pills administered by vet works for this if caught quick enough.

The baby food works well!!! They will eat it . But if you are not right on top of feeding it likely just very small amounts each time, many times daily it will fail. You have to be really on top of this . Do it often lots of small tiny meals.

Even if it just cleans off a spoonfull at a time.Warm it lightly to make it realease the flavor & smell and be more agreeable to them. Careful not too hot for kitty- so let it col back a little after.. If they don't like it they wont lick and you have to use the food injecter which is more difficult.

Why was it diagnosed as LIVER? what exactly caused her/him to come to this cponclusion?

I have used the baby food to bring them back from the brink of death, Many small amounts, warm it slightly in the microwave .

Baby foods mainly are beef, pork, chicken etc, , But beef always worked best for me.
Do not underestimate how important this part is- they need the strength and can die in a couple of days when sick and not eating well/ and hydrated well, if the skin is loose then it is dehydrayted badly.

Even though its an older Cat,You may also consider using a kitten feeder bottle too- along with the baby food. Use with infant KITTEN Replacement milk formula- to help fortify them ,you can get this all at the pet store,cheap... the kitten replacement milk formula is best from the carton - I have always thought.. I never tried the powder - it seemed weaker to me...and I bottle fed and raised several deathly sick kittens, out a litter where the rest died over the years. The food will help the energy alot.

The liver part can best be determined by what it could have ingested or caused it, I am not sure about that part.If ingested something bad to make it so sick recently ,Maybe they could use a charcoal product to pull the toxins out or maybe the stuff that makes you puke.( ipicak - spelled wrong I am sure )...talk to the vet it would not work if more than a day after ingestion to have it puke..But if past the stomach now it would not be helpful and could be harmful due to dehydration.. Check the bowel movements for consistancy too. If odd bring this to vets attention as it could be a clue to the cause. Check tummy and other areas for cuts, or lumps .. I had one kitty that had gotten out and returned with a puncture - very small in his intestines that caused toxins from the intestions to leach out into the body from the food I was giving him before it was realized.It was serious & fatal.I loved him too.But the vet doubted he would make it thru surgury at that point and was too uncertain if he could even repair it.

But I think when its antifreeze or some other toxins they use charcoal etc to get toxins out.

Get at least basic blood panel if it will help them decide what is happening..

Unless you know exactly every ingrediant in the supplements and have checked them carefully against toxic herbs, plants, foods for cats..I do not know if its the best idea to give them natural stuff made for humans, pet store may have pet meds that are the OTC equivilent of our stuff in the right dose and combos excluding unaceptable herbs/plant extracts.

Warning.. Just so you are aware a simple tylenol can kill a cat.his happens more often than you would think.. this is just in case..i know I have pain pills in my home & have dropped the bottle before as they are mised with some type of asparin or tylenol, or ibprophen. So I went crazy trying to get them all up- so none of them accidently ingested it..Do not give them asperin,tylenol or anything such as this..

i am assuming cat diseases have been ruled out, and this little one is up to date on shots.
I would also check for ticks on the cat - who knows..can't be too careful.

also have you dropped any meds recently that could have been ingested by the kitty by accident- this is another possible cause of course, even over the counter meds can be toxic to them in many cases please do a search on the internet for those & then do a house check to see if its origin is toxic. See if you can determine the cause.

House Plants come with little tags stuck inside that will say the name of the flower and the family of plants and care instructions usually. I had lillys and did not even realize it.There is a common green leafy one thats a Lilly , and one that has a type of white flower too thats a lilly- they don't resemble real lillys either( more than 100 plants unsafe if I recall correctly )I used to have the list on my fridge.

Also check its wee wee if its a boy- if you are able to see & if its swollen and inflamed& red- pink - it would indicate the kidneys are involved. If its in the kidneys thats serious and possible sepsis is going on or soon will be, If it goes to the bathroom be sure it actually pees ( mine beloved snoopy would try to go but couldn't for the final day before surg... It has to have fluids and moving thru because once the fluids moving stop you are in real trouble as the kidneys have also shut down at that point.

I lost by beloved Snoopy Jan 23, 2001 after Sepsis set in to his bloodstream and in this case I spent 1000.00-1100.00 trying to save him and finally opted on surgery- exploratory due to an abcess of unknown cause but it was affecting his kidneys , and they ended up shutting down. I understand you must be devastated, I sure was.

My kitty got thru surgury and died in the hospital overnight to my suprise as I thought he was through the worst of it after surgery was done.. The abcess he had was the cause of serious kidney shut down, as he licked it from the busted open ( small hole)abcess area prior to treatment and I guess caused sepsis/blood poisioning eventually. This all came from a small cut or claw mark that was infected on the inside mainly and showed only a small bump outside.

Eventually by scratching the little lump opened up and blood tainted puss/fluids gushed out all night, prompting me to take in to vet at 1st light a few hours later.The vets were perplexed and really had little to go on. I do wish I had gone elsewhere. Someplace more knowlegeable that did surgery more often in this area and had a clue.

He had fought a month earlier with my roomates cat and they broke something so either a claw mark or maybe a tiny piece of fragmented glass punctured a small area & got infected in his tummy ( abcessed)- it was undetected till he was super sick a month or so later.The vets were of little help as xrays were not conclusive/they showed a mass or abcess thats all.After surgury they had debrided alot of dead abcessed skin internally.It was growing inside. Outside was just a litle hard area.

If your kitty is hospitalized be sure there is someone with them experienced around the clock in case of Emergency during the night, It was a terrible mistake for me to use the vet which I used due to their lack of overnight capable staff.

My kitty "Snoopy" was 10 and my best friend and HE WAS IN POST OP OVERNIGHT & apparently he began having trouble within hours after surgury and the night staff was one person going by both locations THE VET OWNED- during the night, so he was left alone which I had no idea he would be alone at all.

He died 12 hours after surgury , but trouble started within hours. At 4 am The vet tech returned from the other clinic and he had very labored/ shallow breathing & too far gone for epinephrine to help but they tried it anyway- they said. They said it was anaphalaxis that morning after he passed but later told me it was sepsis.( Changing the story completely)likely so they were not liable.
I do think the ( vet)was at least partly to blame. There are animal hospitals that have round the clock vets.I wish I had realized this was not one, I was told he would be watched closely thru the night.
I will keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer for your kitty , I hope all turns out well.
I can understand how upset you must be but vets are just like our own doctors they are not as helpful as you would think they could be always.Nor do they know everything.

Try a different vet - with the info you accumilated so far if you do not get better answers from your current vet. Or call around to get a feel for a better one or just to ask some questions - usually unlike Dr. vets are often helpful on the phone even..

If its infection you can take the temp- check with vet but it runs higher than ours does.Use digital thermometer.

Toxic chemicals can be anything from carpet shampooed recently to cleaning products, bleach. Toilet bowl add ons that turn the water blue, A multitude of cleaning products or sprays.It could be some other underlyng illness or cause too.

Don't overwelm the kitys liver with stuff it has to process- even if natural products. Things that can't harm us can be lethal to them. if they would go thru the liver..

You can also use childrens pedialite- for dehydration. But Continue the fluid injections too. Keep stress low. quiet area away from excitement , noise.

Also .. Cat shampoos, powders, dips, bugsprays, funtiture flea & tick spays and topical drops for fleas can cause neurological, imbalance, foaming at mouth, head shaking,and even seizures and other toxic reactions in pets .

I had issues with drops w/ permithean/ Permethian ( spelling may be wrong) It is very dangerous - many animals are ok , many others are very sensitive to this toxin they put into flea treatments.. and I had to take 3 of my 4 kittys to the ER once because of it.taljk about expensive.. If you suspect it was something topical wash kitty fast to get toxin or poison off skin/fur.

I am assuming this is due to something outside of old age or natural causes. I am assuming the cat was in good health prior to now... If not then most of this will not help.

Make sure the cat food bowls are non toxic no lead paint etc.Hand painted & mexican pottery/dishes can be a problem in this area.Old decorative bowls can be lead.

Best to you , and please let us know how kitty is doing. I am pulling for you guys.

[ 06. November 2006, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: badkitti30043 ]

--------------------
Sandi
( badkitti30043)

Posts: 664 | From Atlanta Ga. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Sandi,

I sent you a pm.

For anybody wondering how my kitty is doing - he is still hanging in there. He's eating baby food with a dropper and still has jaundice.

My vet said he has never seen a cat last this long.

Thanks for everyone's advice - it has helped so far.

Sandy

Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sister of a good friend of mine was having a similar problem with her little cat, so we spent some time on the web looking at possible reasons for this. Her kitty would get feverish, pale mucous membranes and jaundiced. The vet treated her with courses of Doxy until she improved but sadly it became chronic and she was too sick to keep going, and was finally euthanized. However, we did find out lots of information on feline infectious anemia. The article below is just one that popped up when I googled, not one that I specifically recommend, but what interesting information, especially about the mycoplasma. Anyway, I am just a cat-lover, not a vet, but I'd definitely look into this if I were you, and best of luck to your baby.

-----------------------------------------------
Haemobartonellosis (Feline Infectious Anemia) in Cats
Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Haemobartonellosis is also known as feline infectious anemia or feline hemotropic mycoplasmosis. It is a tick transmitted (and sometimes flea transmitted) disease. Haemobartonellosis targets the red blood cells which are responsible for carrying oxygen.

What causes haemobartonellosis?

Haemobartonellosis in cats is caused by Mycoplasma haemofelis, formerly known as Haemobartonella felis. Cats may also become infected with another organism called M. haemominutum, but it is less likely to cause disease. Both are not typical bacteria, but belong to a group of microorganisms called mycoplasma, which are the smallest free-living type of 'germs.' Both M. haemofelis and M. haemominutum are termed "hemotropic mycoplasmas" or "hemoplasmas" because they are blood(hemo)-associated(tropic).

How are M. haemofelis and M. haemominutum transmitted?

Fleas and ticks become infected with these mycoplasma by feeding on an infected animal. When the flea or tick then feeds on another animal, the mycoplasma are passed on. Because they live in the blood cells, they could be spread via a blood transfusion from an infected animal to a noninfected one. In the cat, the mycoplasma can also be spread from the queen (mother cat) to her kittens. They may also be spread through cat bites - male cats, cats that roam, and cats less than 4-6 years of age appear to be at higher risk of becoming infected.

What are the signs of haemobartonellosis in cats?

In the cat, the disease can run the spectrum from being very mild, with no symptoms or only a slight anemia, to a disease that is very severe. Signs often include depression, loss of appetite, and dehydration If severe, the pronounced anemia could result in weight loss, pale mucous membranes, weakness, fast heart and respiratory rates, jaundice , and death. Some owners report their cats start eating litter or dirt. Cats who are infected with Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) are more likely to have severe disease. Without therapy, some cats with haemobartonellosis die from the severe anemia.

Some cats can recover from the disease but become carriers of the organism. This means the cats look healthy but still have small numbers of these mycoplasma in their bodies. If these cats are stressed, it sometimes causes the organisms to multiply and produce disease.

How is haemobartonellosis diagnosed?

Sometimes the organism can be seen inside cells on a blood smear. To find them, a small drop of blood is spread over a microscope slide, stained and examined under the microscope. The number of organisms in the bloodstream can fluctuate dramatically. There can be many observed in one sample, and a sample taken two hours later may reveal none. A polyermase chain reaction (PCR) blood test to detect these hemotropic mycoplasmas in cats is available.

How is haemobartonellosis treated?

Antibiotics such as tetracycline, oxytetracycline, or doxycycline are given for three weeks. Although it may seem contradictory, in cats with a rapid course of disease, large doses of prednisolone may sometimes be given to suppress the destruction of the red blood cells by the body. In some animals, it is necessary to give one or multiple transfusions.

How is haemobartonellosis prevented?

As with other diseases transmitted by fleas or ticks, flea control and tick control are the foundations of prevention. Products which repel and kill ticks and fleas such as Flea Halt Wipes for Cats (or other products containing pyrethrin) are excellent choices. Frontline kills ticks, but does not repel them. Keeping cats indoors will likely prevent infection.

Can people get haemobartonellosis?

There have been no reported cases of haemobartonellosis in people, although organisms resembling hemotropic mycoplasmas have been found in people with suppressed immune systems.

References

Sykes, JE. Feline hemotropic mycoplasmosis (feline haemobartonellosis). Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice, 33;(4, July 2003): 773-789.

Messick, JB. New perspectives about Hemotropic mycoplasma (formerly, Haemobartonella and Eperythrozoon species) infections in dogs and cats.

Veterinary Clinics of North America - Small Animal Practice. 33;(6, Nov. 2003): 1453-1465.

Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for this article. I printed it out and will run it by my vet this afternoon.

My cat is indoor but I guess he could be a carrier of the disease.

Thanks for helping,

Sandy

iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cant give you any more vet information than what has been posted but can offer you warm thoughts, wishes and prayers. Take care of yourself and your little pal.
Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always, Forever, No Exceptions!

Buy Pet Insurance!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

How's kitty today?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Skater - Thanks for the prayers - he's still hanging in there, not great though. The vet says he has never seen a cat last this long as sick as he is. Keep praying!!!

Pet insurance ~ I was just wondering about it the other day. Boy, I wish I had................

Sandy

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kitty and I are praying for your kitty [group hug]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Aw, Azure, thanks ~ it means a lot!

Sandy

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.ayush.com has some wonderful products that we use whenever necessary. I just noticed that their Livit 1 and Livit 2 in drop form is also used for cats and dogs.

Livit 1 and Livit 2 are excellent to help with liver disorders, digestion, and gallbladder for us larger folk as they are apparently for pets.

We have used almost every one of their products during our Lyme time, from Pippli to Amla Plex, etc., but especially the Livits during serious detox.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.ayush.com has some wonderful products that we use whenever necessary. I just noticed that their Livit 1 and Livit 2 in drop form is also used for cats and dogs.

Livit 1 and Livit 2 are excellent to help with liver disorders, digestion, and gallbladder for us larger folk as they are apparently for pets.
They are also used for prevention.

We have used almost every one of their products during our Lyme time, from Pippli to Amla Plex, etc., but especially the Livits during serious detox.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Thank you GiGi,

I will definitely check this out. I want to have some things like this on hand too because I have other cats/animals too.

Thanks ~ Sandy

karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

I just took Simba to the vet and had to put him down. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I stayed with him while he was awake and they gave the "sleepy" meds first then I left out the side door bawling.

His body temp had gone down from 102 to 99 plus he took some blood work and he was very anemic.

He ask if he could do an autopsy at no charge. He would like to see what was going on.

He said I could take him to some veterinary hospital and with all the bloodwork they would run and then the surgery it would be in the thousands of dollars.

He said he may not even make it then because he was so weak.

I even voted afterwards and the greeter lady saw my face and I told her I put my cat to sleep 5 minutes earlier and she grabbed me and hugged me - so sweet.

Thank you everyone for your help. I know this topic shouldn't be on here but I got so much good information from everyone that I truly appreciate it. It is information that I can use for any future problems with my other "babies."

Love you guys,

p.s. the vet just called - did the autopsy (necropsy) his liver was full of fat which would mean he had the Hepatic Lipidosis or fatty liver syndrome.

No lyme or the other lyme related infections. I wondered about that with me having lyme but he said they need a host for that and he couldn't get it from me.

Thanks for all of your prayers as I can feel them. I do believe we will see our pets in eternity.

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy,

I am so sorry to hear the news. If only our little kitties could speak up and let us know when they aren't feeling well. So we could catch their illnesses early.

But I'm sure you gave him a wonderful five years full with lots of love.

[group hug]

Your lymie friends are always here for you.

-A

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moosie
Member # 10033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably stepping into it here, but I'd just like to know something.

There are 30 replies to this post. Most very supportive. That's terrific. Honestly.

However, I've noted many, many posts that go unanswered at all or just a very few replies. Makes me wonder if I posted, "help, my doggie may have Lyme. . ."

No offense kitty/doggie lovers. Honestly. I have had many pets, still do. My dog is more pampered than my children. He's been taught how to eat off of a fork and spoon like a gentleman, and I SWEAR he knows how to read a clock. I just know that I have posted, as have others, and there is little if any response.

--------------------
Trying to figure it all out.

Posts: 38 | From Spanaway, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Moosie...I've never seen any of your posts. Sorry for missing them. Don't give up on us!

Karate....I'm so sorry about this. I know it's difficult, because I've gone through it. Hang in there and give all that extra love to your other pets. [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karate - I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to loose a furry kid.

It does get easier.I lost one in 02 and I know she is still watching over me... she always was my furry little angel.

Moosie - Some posts require specific knowledge or experience to respond ... and I think that may be why some posts get less responses.

If I have no ideas or advice or if a previous poster already stated the only things that my brain can come up with for that post then I dont post.

I know some people on here will bump up a post if it has not been responded to so it doesnt go completely unnoticed.

If you ever start a thread and dont get enough replies bump it to the top....

Alot of people dont come on every day and a post can get shoved down the list pretty quickly due to the amount of the activity on the board.

We try. [dizzy]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy,

I am so very sorry. I have been checking your posts every day to read a progress report.

I, like you, believe we will see our furbabies in heaven.

In the meantime, they are all playing together.

I am glad you have definite knowledge that it was the fatty liver and not Lyme. It doesn't change the outcome, but at least you know there wasn't a tick in the house.

Hugs to you,
Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Thank you TuTu, Azure and Jill ~ it really
means a lot!

Sandy

I'm glad it wasn't lyme related.

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy, I'm so sorry about your kitty. My prayers are with you.

I know from our conversations that you were a very good nurse and a wonderful friend to your cat, and I hope you find some comfort in knowing that.

And, like you, I believe we see our old furry friends when we pass over, and part of me can't wait for that day!

Best regards,
Tracy [group hug]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement