LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » DOCTOR QUIT ME... TEXAS LAWS!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DOCTOR QUIT ME... TEXAS LAWS!
TXKim
Member # 10146

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TXKim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me yesterday when I went in for my monthly check up and prescription for antibiotics that she could no longer treat me.

She was very sorry, she said it was a crime and is not helping anyone (as we know). I am SO UPSET, SO SAD, SO FRUSTRATED!!!

I finally after years of trying to figure out what was wrong with me, find out it is LYME (positive blood test from Igenex) and now they basically say there is nothing I can do about it.

I know there are more doctors in other states to see but I am a mother of three who works full time. I can't just pack up every month to see another doctor (not too mention, I don't fly, I have major anxiety attacks).

I feel so helpless and alone. My husband (who tries to be supportive) said to me, "well it must not need to be treated that way if Texas laws say that". WOW what a blow! I know he just doesn't understand but it hurt me.

I don't know what to do. I guess just looking for advice or just really venting to people I know will understand the frustrations of this disease.

Thanks for listening! [confused]

Posts: 14 | From Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, Kim......

I feel for you to say the least.

Can you Texans help a girl out? Maybe someone who is in your area will come by and offer you some advice.

Sorry your spouse doesn't understand, it would mean so much if he did.

In the mean time have you seen this?
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=048971;p=1#000001

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand the part about TX laws. It seems very unlikely that TX has any such law forbidding treatment of lyme. More likely that your doc is getting heat from the state medical board and ins cos. and the recent IDSA guidelines.

Why don't you try to find out exactly what the situation is and then fill out the LDA form to document cases such as this, where patients are being cut off from treatment. If you need help with this, ask someone here or in a TX support group.

Going to edit this because the LDA deadline for these forms is today. If you want the form, holler, and I will post it.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you can work out with a Lyme practitioner to be seen in person initially, and then do some phone consultation follow-ups between in-person visits.

So you'd have to fly somewhere first, but then at least be on treatment and in touch by phone to buy you some time.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TXKim
Member # 10146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TXKim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I am not sure what she meant when she said it was because of Texas laws or guidelines (something to that effect). I was so shocked I don't think I was totally listening to her reason.

She did say that it was the use of long term antibiotics that she couldn't do, she could still see me for other issues.

Basically, she can give me some meds for my achy joints and muscles but can't help me kill the little critters hurting me.

She did give me 3 other doctors in other states to see. But as for Texas doctors, she didn't have anyone here to send me to.

I have called several others that I knew of and they said they are not taking any LYME patients. So I guess I will have to get over my flying issues soon!

My concern is, how much longer until there are no doctors that will take us! Scary thought!!!

Posts: 14 | From Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kim

Sorry to hear this. One offering is, there is a LLMD in Santa Fe NM. It is about an hour flight from you and not to expensive on Southwest. He'll see you the first time and then he can work with you over the phone. He does this with my mom who lives in Hawaii.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bflat
Member # 7275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bflat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim, I sent you a PM with some information that may be helpful.
Posts: 20 | From DFW,TX, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 9 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe the "FEAR FACTOR" is alive and well thanks to the IDSA Guidelines. There are two people here in MA who have been dropped by their docs because they are fearful of losing their licenses to practice medicine if they keep their lyme patients.

Thank heavens for the few doctors who stick their necks out to treat us. They are doing their best to pick them off one by one.

If this is the way our government chooses to handle the lyme epidemic, I fear for all of us.

Sounds like Jellybelly has an option for you. It has to be so hard dealing with lyme and being a mother of three youngsters.

I do hope you will find some help.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been refused treatment, meds, services

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that TX passed some tort reform laws which gave the medical boards more power to eliminate drs not following the "proper mode of treatment."

I'll PM you also, Kim. I'm sooooo sorry. I feel so blessed to have moved from TX, where I now am doing so well after treatment. I would still be taking steroids if I had stayed.

I love Texas with all my heart, and will move back one day, but this whole IDSA thing is really a low blow to us all.

Hugs and prayers for you, Kim. I wish I could be there to help you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TXKim,

I have a lyme literate md that does phone consults. PM me if interested.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim,
I don't have any referrals to offer you. Just understanding.
I found out my LLMD will no longer be practicing in TX.

It's crushing.

I haven't asked him what caused his sudden change in plans, but suspect it is related to a board matter.

What is happening in TX?

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See more info on TX at www.standupforlyme.org.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TXKim,

Very sorry to hear this, however, something else may be going on here and not necessarily pressure from lawmakers.

Is your former LLMD quitting tx of all other Lyme pts, or, just you? I know it seems like a strange questions, but, some docs do what's called "culling". This practice is a really bad one and IMHO, you may do much better with another doc.

PM me if you want further explanation. I may take a while to answer you, as I'm leaving town for a few weeks.

Better fortune to you, sister Texan.

"We are more than containers for Lyme."
ping

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement