LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Insurance denied hospital stay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insurance denied hospital stay
kelly06
Member # 10417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelly06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

It's amazing how quickly one will hear from their

insurance company when they won't cover something,

and when they do cover, it normally takes 2

months. Just received a letter that my health

insurance denied my 4 day stay last week at the

hospital. As some of you know, I started

treatment just yesterday for Lyme and while I was

in the hospital, received many possible diagnosis

other than Lyme. I suppose that's the basis for

denying the claims. I saw a form that TinCup

posted to use if someone was denied coverage. Any

other suggestions as to how to go about this?

Do I ask my LLMD on next visit to write something

to submit? Just a thought. I can't imagine what

the total cost of the ER and 4 days in-patient is

going to cost me. Appreciate any input.

Kelly

Posts: 64 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why were you in the hospital and did you get pre-authorization? Many health plans require it before you go in, and want you to use their approved list of hospitals, with whom they have contracts.

I think infractions of their rules as described above are probably more likely to be the reason, not lyme related is my guess.

Read your policy, see what you may have done or not done. The state ins commissioner is a good place to start if you are in the right.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelly06
Member # 10417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelly06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the ER initially and didn't think to

call for pre-authorization. I'm reading the

information sent to me and it states "Based upon

all available information received, the requested

service does not require an inpatient level of

care and is therefore denied." Of course it goes

on to say I can appeal this blah blah blah....

I'll call the insurance company to remind them

that I didn't write the admission papers myself,

the ER doctor did, so I'm not sure how they can

say I didn't need it.

Thanks for your response Lou.
Kelly

Posts: 64 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmill2977
Member # 10513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmill2977     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiosity, could you say which insurance company denied the stay?
Posts: 19 | From massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doesn't seem that enough or the right info was given to insurance company. Clearly if you were sick enough to need the ER and the hospital needed to keep you, something is missing.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone who has a policy that if they go to the er they have to notify the insurance co within so long(I think 24 hrs) if they don't than the insurance co doesnt pay that much of the bill...

There may be some tricky little lupoll in your policy that you are not aware of.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the above suggestions to not pain out - check to see if your Hospital has "charity care" apply for it.

This goes by income and sometimes there is zippo owed.

My state hospitals have this and once I got a whole 2 yrs covered for nothing.

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnniebear
Member # 5842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnniebear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I found out just last week after embarking on 7 months of IV Rocephin that my insurance is retroactively denying my payment of ALL costs associated w/the diagnosis of Lyme disease.

Including the PICC line insertion, lab work, all the dressing changes & medication, my bill is hovering around the 100K mark.

It has to do with the recent information about how to treat Lyme dz (written by the Infectious Dz. Dr. in New York) & believe me when I say that insurance companies are pouncing on this like a lion to meat. And yes, Insurance companies do have the right to deny payment rectroactively.

I have written a strongly worded letter to my HR dept (as we are a self insured company) and I did utilize an Infectious Dz. Dr. (thank god) & he has stellar reputation in the community & at the hospital that I work & he is aggressively disputing this.

I feel good that he will ultimately prevail, but what a pain in the rear, not to mention stressful thinking I may have just bankrupted my family.

I'm thanking God I didn't seek treatment from someone in the 2nd tier of benefit providers & that he's not a strip mall Dr. Since I work for this hospital, my letter basically asked how can they trust him to take care of their patients, yet deny me his recommended plan of care?

Unfortunately, I think we're going to end up seeing a lot more letters like this one written.

Johnniebear

Posts: 6 | From Overland Park Ks | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bear, before you pay this big bill, look at the Lyme Times insurance issue. It will suggest ways to get the ins co to pay, even after they have denied you. Might have to involve the state ins commissioner.

Lyme Times has a website.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelly06
Member # 10417

Thanks everyone....I'll keep you posted after I

find out with the phone call tomorrow.

Kelly

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually if you are admitted to the hospital from the ER the hospital calls insurance and gets authorization. Not many ER patients or their families are thinking about insurance. Check with your hospital, too, on their policy about calling insurance. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for my denial letter since my LLMD is "out-of-network"...but would be very interested in whatever form you said tincup has!! [Big Grin]

I have a letter from my primary, a letter from my former employer (explaining loss of income), my own appeal letter, and appeal from LLMD...but I'm open to any other suggestions that will help get these bills paid!

FWIW I have insurance through Aetna who is not Lyme friendly. Would love to switch insurance, but all the options are through Aetna. [bonk] I'm afraid this will not be our only bout with Lyme.

Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement