LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody try hoodia to loose weight? i'm desperate!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody try hoodia to loose weight? i'm desperate!!!
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a blimp!!! i've gonefrom 125 on a five foot frame to 194... eeekkkkk!!!!

i've been reading about ophray loosing weight on hoodia so i priced it and read some. didn't understand a lot of it but one bottle costs 35 bucks!!!!!! wow.......

so what do you know about it? i am sick and tired of my doctor telling me to "keep my mouth shut and you won't gain weight." well that's all well and good until you consider the meds i'm taking...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a NUMBER of reasons BESIDES WEIGHT GAIN(I will send files if you want) a far infrared sauna might help a LOT...30 minutes every day for 3 months and you LIKELY will see a difference.

The saunas run $3000 for a good one (not all are created equal).

Journal of Medicinal Food
Antioxidant Activity of Far-Infrared Radiated Rice Hull Extracts on Reactive Oxygen Species Scavenging and Oxidative DNA Damage in Human Lymphocytes

Mar 2006, Vol. 9, No. 1 : 42 -48

The

inactivation of the enzymes lipase and α-amylase

were studied during treatment by far-infrared (FIR) radiative heating

and compared with activity changes due to heating by thermal conduction."

Heat does indeed destroy enzymes. The enzymes lipase and amylase are needed to breakdown fats and sugars. What do you suspect would happen if we (temporarily) blocked those enzymes...couldn't break down sugars or fats when we sit in a far infrared sauna? Out these nutrients go...unused????

Go here (!!!):

http://www.ebmonline.org/cgi/content/full/228/10/1245

Find this abstract too:

PMID: 15228099

For many reasons, your metabolism has slowed down. This is also related to the body *temperature* as well. It is a body DEFENSIVE move.

"Nov. 2, 2006 -- Cool mice live longer, find scientists at Scripps Research Institute.

No, the mice aren't more hip than other mice. They've been genetically engineered to have a slightly lower body temperature than normal mice.
The low body temperature -- about one-half to one degree Fahrenheit lower than normal -- doesn't seem to hurt the mice.

During infections, they get fevers that spike as high and last as long as those of normal mice. And they have normal appetites -- especially male cool mice, which gain a bit of extra weight as they age. (My note: we make less melatonin - powerful antioxidant - as we age.)

But the cool mice live significantly longer than normal mice. Females lived about 20% longer than normal. Males lived about 12% longer.
It's already known that animals live longer if put on a very low-calorie diet.

One explanation for this is that burning fewer calories lowers body temperature."

(So we store them instead.)

A long time ago...I clipped out a tiny article from a Readers Digest magazine that linked obesity to the common cold virus!

Consider this:

10 Causes of Obesity

The researchers put forth these 10 "additional explanations" for obesity:

1. Sleep debt. Getting too little sleep can increase body weight. Today's Americans get less shut-eye than ever.

2. Pollution. Hormones control body weight. And many of today's pollutants affect our hormones.

3. Air conditioning. You have to burn calories if your environment is too hot or too cold for comfort. But more people than ever live and work in temperature-controlled homes and offices.

4. Decreased smoking. Smoking reduces weight. Americans smoke much less than they used to. (My note: the acetylcholine receptors are also called nicotinic receptors...it is the toxins, not the nicotine, that are REALLY harmful. The nicotine is the "addictive" factor.)

5. Medicine. Many different drugs -- including contraceptives, steroid hormones, diabetes drugs, some antidepressants, and blood pressure drugs -- can cause weight gain. Use of these drugs is on the upswing.

6. Population age, ethnicity. Middle-aged people and Hispanic-Americans tend to be more obese than young European-Americans. Americans are getting older and more Hispanic.

7. Older moms. There's some evidence that the older a woman is when she gives birth, the higher her child's risk of obesity. American women are giving birth at older and older ages.

8. Ancestors' environment. Some influences may go back two generations. Environmental changes that made a grandparent obese may "through a fetally driven positive feedback loop" visit obesity on the grandchildren.

9. Obesity linked to fertility. There's some evidence obese people are more fertile than lean ones. If obesity has a genetic component, the percentage of obese people in the population should increase.

10. Unions of obese spouses. Obese women tend to marry obese men. If there are fewer thin people around -- and if obesity has a genetic component -- there will be still more obese people in the next generation.

"We do not claim that all of the additional explanations definitively are contributors [to obesity] but only that they are as plausibly so as are the 'big two' and deserve more attention and study," Allison and colleagues conclude.

And the researchers' list of 10 doesn't exhaust the possibilities. There may be even more explanations, including: a fat-inducing virus; increases in childhood depression; less consumption of dairy products; and hormones used in agriculture.

SOURCE: Keith, S.W. International Journal of Obesity, advance online publication, June 27, 2006.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did - waste of money. Exercise and eating moderately are the only things that help for me. I tried the green tea extract stuff too - that didn't help either. Both are supposed to suppress your appetite. Nothing suppresses my appetite even when I'm sick as a dog!

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanoverw/lyme
Member # 10215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanoverw/lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just purchased hoodiaX57. i would have to remind myself to eat, no hunger at all. I just purchased Herbalean, not only am i trying to lose weight, but i need something for energy, seems to have a positive effect so far.
Posts: 46 | From hanover, pa | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried TrimDay for about 6 weeks; Hoodia, Green Tea, and one other ingredient...I didn't lose an ounce. It did curb my appetite; I'd hardly eat all day, but at night it became a food fest and I was just hungry for hours.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my opinion : The way to control hunger is to cut out sugar and foods that turn to sugar upon digestion This contols your insulin. This means cutting ALL junk/processed food. Simple carbs only make you hungry (even in small amounts).

Eat protein (NOT protein bars) and non-starchy veggies. Veggies like kale, cabbage, asparagus, green beans, salad greens, zuchini, summer squash, cucumbers, celry, all leafy greens, broccoli.
No peas, carrots and definately no potatoes. Yams, not sweet potatoes, are ok on occassion.

Rice (even brown) is not necssary. If you need help with moving your bowels try psyllium.

Good fats are ok. Ground Flax seed (great sprinkled on salads). Like avocado. Search the internet you will seen many discussions.

I would call this controlled carb. When folks criticize low carb they are thinkng that means bacon cheeseburgers every night. NO!! this is not what I am suggesting. And yes you need carbs.

You get carbs in the veggies. You really do not need carbs from donuts, pasta, rice ....... cave men did not have donuts pasta and rice. Packaged food makes people fat. Eat whole, natural, organic food and move as much as you can and you will lose.

THE KEY IS INSULIN CONTROL.

Once you can control your insulin, your hunger is in control. In turn you can make wise choices for food instead of impulsive ones. Takes about 3 to 6 days for your boody to feel the effects of no sugar. After that the cravings are gone. I promise.

If you are not eating at least one salad a day, start now. And I don't mean potatoe or macaroni salad. Leafy salad with fresh veggies and a miniscule serving of dressing if you really have to have it. Organicville Tarragon Dijon s really good and 2 tbs have only 60 calories. I use a teaspoon and mix it in well. Drenching salad with dressing is a weight gainer for sure.

Controlling your blood sugar will control your appetite. I was 300lbs ..... now I am 150lbs. This worked for me. I also exercise.

No magic pills ever worked for me.
Just my opinion

Hope this helps if you are serious about weight loss and want to chat I will talk on the phone.

Edited to add: TJ is right .... NO diet food crap .... it is all loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners. Use Stevia if you need sweet. This will derail your weight loss efforts. JUST QUIT the junk and you will see you can do it.

robi

[ 11. November 2006, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: robi ]

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted this before. My daughter gained 80 pounds in 3-6 months. She has recently lost 15. She takes chromium picolinate every night, and that has eased up her cravings after dinner.

When she can, she takes a short walk with me. She uses her rebounder, and sauna. She has also cut back...way back on sugars and simple carbs.

Our LLMD told us 30 min in 130 degrees burns 250 calories. I agree with what has been said before about raising body temperature, that makes sense.

Doc recommended Hoodia, as well. We'll see.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tj33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi is right on...

I would add, stay away from all diet foods and drinks. Aspertame causes (and other nasty side effects) weight gain, because body can't digest the stuff..

We eat lots of chicken and pork. The body must have natural fats for good health.. Chicken (baked or broiled) is great for the immune system.

Avoid all vegetable cooking oils. Mostly transfats very bad for the body..

We use coconut cooking oil.. Very good for the body and will aid in weight loss... Very good for the immune system.

Many "diet pills" have nasty side effects. Beware.

When the body is hungry it is probably because it is not getting enough good nuterients like natural fats... Fats power the body...

Atkins diet really works, but follow directions carefully...

Get checked out for diabetes. I take metaformin pills each day and blood sugar has dropped from 200 (very bad) to 100 (very good) plus avoid all junk carbs, cake, pancakes, donuts, and corn syrup (most soda pop).

good luck
Tj

Posts: 192 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TJ all the way with one exception ..... pork is nasty.... pigs eat anything...yuck. My LLMD told me NOT to eat pork ......... I had alreadt decided that previously though.

Ground turkey with seasoning makes great burgers! ... hold the bun

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi is absolutely right. The only thing that has enabled me to lose weight is a low-glycemic diet. That means cutting out foods that turn quickly into sugar. It is a very tough diet to stick with - no grains - no sugar - no starch. You can cheat every now and then but if you want to see big results stick with low-sugar and low starch fruits and vegetables, very healthy protein and good fats. After about 5 days insane cravings for carbs and sugars should die down.

I have a great deal of trouble staying on this diet, but when I do the weight just falls off. Before Lyme disease I was 5'10' and 150 pounds and very very fit. After being bitten the weight gradually crept on and my ability to exercise diminished.

I take chromium picolate 1x daily also. I believe that Lyme disease diminishes your ability to control your insulin levels leading to dramatic weight gain in some cases. Read "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" or any other "Syndrome X" or low-glycemic index diet book. I would stay away from the Atkin's diet because I believe there is too much of an emphasis on unhealthy proteins and fats.

The low-glycemic diet isn't easy to follow but the weight melts off, and my other symptoms related to LD diminish pretty dramatically.

Good luck.

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tj33:
Robi is right on...

I agree!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement