LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » WB or antibiotics first??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WB or antibiotics first??
kumba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kumba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received my Igenex kit today...can't send in blood until monday. I called another doc my sister knows...hes retiring in one month. Spoke to him over the phone this morning...and nearly cried when he said "seronegative" labs mean nothing and it sounded as if I had chronic lyme at this point. He admited to only treating early disease and supported my decsion to go to LLMD who could better treat late/chronic lyme. He had me come right in though. He said he couldn't believe esp given that we live in the epicenter of lyme county...that knowone was willing to acknoledge my condition and laughed when I told him I was only treated last yr for one month with doxy. Just can t tell you have validated I felt! any way he gave me a script of 3ooomg amoxicillin /per day ( 1000mg three times a day)and probenicid 500mg twice a day. It might not be the ideal combo therapy, but it is a start. So my question is this: Do I hold off on antibiotics until Monday and draw the blood first or can I start antibiotics today?? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Posts: 145 | From NorthEast US | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kumba:

I just received my Igenex kit today...can't send in blood until monday.

I called another doc my sister knows...hes retiring in one month. Spoke to him over the phone this morning...and nearly cried when he said " seronegative" labs mean nothing and it sounded as if I had chronic lyme at this point .

He admited to only treating early disease and supported my decsion to go to LLMD who could better treat late/chronic lyme. He had me come right in though .

He said he couldn't believe esp given that we live in the epicenter of lyme county...that knowone was willing to acknoledge my condition and laughed when I told him I was only treated last yr for one month with doxy.
Just can t tell you have validated I felt!

any way he gave me a script of
3ooomg amoxicillin/day (1000mg three times a day)
and probenicid 500mg twice a day.

It might not be the ideal combo therapy, but it is a start. So my question is this:

Do I hold off on antibiotics until Monday and draw the blood first or can I start antibiotics today? Any opinions would be appreciated.

I'd also go in AFTERNOON; more positives show up! You're close enough to Monday, 3 days away; I'd wait. I do NOT think it makes any difference in this short of time.

Others will tell you their beliefs; I'm NOT MD!

Kumba, please break up your long blocks of text though; too hard for neuro lymies like me who can't read/comprehend LONG solid blocks of text; we thank you! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would wait too. Three days won't make much difference now. God Bless that dr! Wish he wasn't retiring!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kumba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kumba     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking about my question..going back and forth in my mind as to what is the best course of action. this is what I'm thinking: I am going to start my meds today and forget about the WB. One is that I have limited funds and don't know when I can return to work...maybe in a week maybe 3 months...who knows. And if Igenex comes back positive it will only confirm MY dx. None of my current docs or insurance company recognizes Igenex (cant see LLMD for months). And the LLMD would treat based upon clinical sx anyway, unlike the ducks. And if it comes back negative it doenst mean I don't have lyme...as I am a walking posterboard for the sx of lyme. Therefore, I have the kit, and can test at another time. I'm going to start the antibiotics.
Posts: 145 | From NorthEast US | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you've found a sympathetic doc, though so sorry he's retiring!

My vote was going to be for "WAIT!!!"

No matter. Even on abx, you'll probably show up with a lot of positive/equivocal bands on your IgG.. since I expect your LLMD will still want a western blot done at some point.

That combo -- the amoxy + probenecid -- is a good combo--not too hard on the stomach, yet penetrates the blood brain barrier if brain infection is present.

It is not usually the first course of abx -- normally that is doxycycline as it kills off ehrlichia in addition to lyme -- but sometimes it's the second!

Sorry your area is losing an open-minded physician to retirement - darn. Tell him he needs to educate his colleagues first! [Smile]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kumba
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7733

LOL, thanks Michelle. Pharmacy is closed uptil Monday morning...LOL..can't believe it. I know its veterans day...but I didn't think they'd be closed. Oh well. anyway I saw on another post you were on the amoxy and probenicid. I'm glad I have something and will keep my finger crossed that it has some positive effect. I also have a free 15 minute phone consult with Dr. zhang today...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement