LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Shouldn't I be Herxing by now??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shouldn't I be Herxing by now??
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

I did a search on this question, and was surprised that I didn't find a specific topic on this. Anywhoo.....

My question is... I'm on day number 8 of 400mg Doxy. Shouldn't I be herxing by now?

I have had sections of days where I feel worse, but it's not days on end like I expected it to be.

Can you all share your experiences?

Oh and by the way... The antidepressant (Lexipro) has kicked in and made life a LOT easier to deal with. Maybe this is why I don't notice a herx as much? Just a thought!

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notcrazykate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notcrazykate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! I'm fairly new to this and am trying to learn as I go, so I'm not sure about what I'm about to say, but...

It's my understanding from reading research papers and such that herxing is not necessarily to be expected.

Based on everything I've read on this forum, it seems as if many people do have a herx reaction, but other things I've read have indicated that very few people go through this.

I've wanted clarification about this as well, and would love to hear from people who know more about how common it is for people to herx, etc.

Posts: 106 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am fairly new to this also-but now on day 21 of 400mg doxy and though I have been somewhat anxiously anticipating the "big herx"-it hasn't come!

Have read it will often follow the 28 day cycle of the "keets." So be hopeful & patient-:)Seems like a lot may depend on how symptomatic you feel when you start the abx-?

Did have some crummy episodes this summer though while initially treated for 21 days on a lower dose.
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Visual Guy!

So glad you've started treatment.

Man, you are EARLY ON!

There really is just no formula about herxheimer reactions. Some have intensifications almost immediately. Some at two weeks, some at a month. Others barely notice anything other than a slight worsening of symptoms hardly worth remarking on.

You've started Lexapro so you may not notice some of the mental sludge you might otherwise experience. I personally think that's a good thing!

For you, a good marker is going to be the slow but sure disappearance of your afterimages.

I miss mine terribly. Still.

The only lyme disease symptom I ever had that I actually miss. [Frown]

I used to pass my hand in front of my face just to trip out watching the "filmstrip" of a perfect row of a thousand hands shimmering in the air in front of my eyes.

It took about six months of treatment before this fully went away.

Durn.

I know we'll be hearing more from you. Keep us posted!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle,

You liked the afterimages?? They are sort of freaky, but it makes working on a computer very difficult.

Maybe you have unlocked the secret about dealing with it. A good attitude?? Too funny.

Thanks for all the information everyone. Don't get me wrong. I don't want a bad 'herx' but theres something to be said for confirmation that I'm actually treating the problem.

I know a lot of you on this board would say that symptoms, Igenex WB, and ruling out of other diesease is enough confirmation of Lyme, but it's nice to know for sure! Right??

What a great resource this message board is!

--------------------

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Visual!

Yup, I kinda liked the traveling image show.

However, I only got it with movement, so working on the computer was not bothersome. Though while walking, the edges of things would go all wavy.

Thanks for PM'ing me your western blot results.

HOLY COW!!!!

I noticed that we share some strong positives on the same bands... For example, I am *** on band 31. Hey --- maybe that's the "trippy vision" band!?

With your symptoms and a blot like that plus a diagnosis from an LLMD, I wouldn't give another thought to whether you have lyme. I'd just hunker down and hope your herxes are mild. Some spirochete butt is going to be leaving your brain (reluctantly) soon!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have been concerned over the past year that I never seemed to have a herx-type reaction after starting a new drug. What I have had is a slow, but steady decrease in most of my symptoms. Also at some point (probably after about 6 months but then memory is not one of the symptoms that has improved much,) I started noticing a pretty regular flare-up of symptoms about the same time every month.

That said, I have been taking tindamax for some time, 5 days a month, and I never noticed much of anything. This month, my LLMD asked me to stay on it for 14 days. Today is day 9 and I am sore in joints that have never been sore before, like my big toe. I guess this would probably be considered a herx.

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be because your body is in good shape. Maybe your immune system is strong. Good for you if it is!!

You may notice a herx after 3-5 wks. If not the first month or two...you might later on.

Are you a big guy? It's possible that 400 mg isn't enough.

But basically, don't worry!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just my opion as a fellow lyme patient.

Maybe those bad days were a herx.

Not everyone has severe herxes...

some lucky people dont even herx at all. they just get better.

I have had herxes last as short as a few hours and up to about 3 months....

so there is not definite timeline on how long a herx will be

Apparently not even within the same person.

And day number 8 isnt that far into treatment.

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad you wrote in on this topic because this is something I was thinking about myself.

I just started on a combo of ketek/omnicef and was waiting on the "big herx", but it did not come. The second day I started my body felt like

a weight and I was fatigued, but not anything real bad. I also have had increse brain fog. The only time I noice an increase in symptoms is

arouond my menstral cycle. My symptoms get real bad for about about a week then gradually get better. I was wondering if I am on the right

combo since I did not get a big herx but maybe I only get mild ones.

Marcie

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not everyone herxes. If your body can handle the immune/cytokine cascade, you may not.

I rarely herx with Lyme, but seem to react more to Bartonella treatment.

Actually, on oral antibiotics, I only herxed twice, on intramuscular I don't really herx but have finally seen some evidence of the 28-day flare some people talk about.

You'll get to know your body's patterns more so in time, but each medication can be different, so it's always an adventure!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dean L. Harris
Member # 9969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dean L. Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am on 10th day of no ABX after 30 days of 400mg Doxy daily.

After 3 spinal fusions, shoulder replacement, cuff repair, 2 carpal tunnels, double hernia and

a couple more surgeries in the last 6 years, I thought I had a lot of resistance to pain, but 5 day

into the ABX my body started to hurt so much I couldn't believe. About day 25 the pain started

to lessen but have trouble with every joint and muscle in body. A lot of debris from lungs that

wasn't there before and sinus drainage has increased. Can't believe what has happened and

am wondering what happens when the Igenex test
results come back. My family doctor in going along

with me but says I have had symptoms too long to
be Lyme.

Posts: 13 | From Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you havent herxed in 8 days means nothing it can take a couple of months and that depends on the spirochete load and the dose of abx your taking & type. Dont sweat it youll have one all though it may be mild that would be great for you but keep treating just to make sure.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Ok.. I guess I spoke too soon.

Just got off a 4 day herx. It wasn't bad enough to keep me from going to work, but it wasn't exactly easy either. The doxy seems to be working indeed.

--------------------

Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Ok.. Maybe that 4 day herx was just a preshock to the huge earthquake that was about to happen.

This herxing has gotten worse. FATIGUE FATIGUE, worstening of all symptoms and even a few new ones. Sigh.. Anyone out there who can give me hope that the worst is over?

I guess I got my wish.

--------------------

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Wish I could tell you that but I really hate lying.

Truth is, you're still just on doxy. There are other drugs. They may be added - probably WILL be added. Cyst-busting drugs, for example. You ain't seen nuthin yet.

However, take reassurance from the fact that it's further proof you have lyme (not that that was ever in doubt, especially in view of your shriekin positive blot), as well as proof you're killing bacteria.

Detox. Detox. Avoid carbs. These things now become really important to not skip.

And treasure those special palinopsia moments..they'll be declining soon.. I sure miss mine!

Oh - and try and get some rest wherever you can fit it in because your body's working really hard and can use the down time to recharge!

Michelle

Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

I have cut down (not out) the carbs. The holidays I was bad.. Very bad. Too much beer, and I think in the middle of a herx added up to be a disaster. Yesterday, I felt the worst I had in almost a year. Today I'm feeling a bit better. Was able to get the Christmas lights up.

So I hear all this on Detox. What does that mean exactly. My LLMD has not addressed that idea with me.

Thanks.

Oh and by the way.. I'll be happy to lose the visual stuff. I'll be handing my name away soon!! hahah

--------------------

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Hey Visual.

Oh man, you're gonna PAY for those carbs!!!

:-)

No one's perfect, 'specially around the holidays. Buy a bottle of Theralac - a super probiotic. Take one every night at bedtime, if it's safely away from your last abx dose. It will keep yeast at bay and even help your body "forgive" a few carb transgressions. It's LLMD-recommended and excellent stuff. Please don't skip this step!

As for de-tox. People write entire books on that! The most basic is just to drink tons of water with lots of fresh lemon squeezed in. Also, drinking a good detox tea helps. Taking a soak in epsom salts helps. Some people swear by "Podi Patches" - these pads you wear on your feet at night. I've never tried them. There are tons of suggestions but these are just some basic ones.

[hi]

Michelle

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement