LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » body temp frequently 94 degrees...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: body temp frequently 94 degrees...
theviewfromthecurb
Member # 10310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theviewfromthecurb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, this seems a little extreme.

I am getting ready to have my gallbladder removed(gallstones, murphys, cholelithiasis, liver @ 3x's the norm...)
just fancy words for... OUCH!!!

I was told to keep track of my body temp just in case i spiked a fever( i should then go back to E.R.)
the lows are consistantly in the 94 range with the high being 97.2...
does this mean i actually have a fever @ 97? because if one uses the same method to measure a fever for a "normal" person, than that would put me at about 101 for my high?
(does this make sense?)

my pulse is down to 33 @ times, averaging 42.

I have babs with the lyme(and neuro) and am alergic to mepron so i havent treated babs for over a year.
I was just told the gall HAS to be plucked and i cant go on any more I.M. or I.V. until after the surgery!!!

I already feel the effects of no longer having any concept of the english language, and no one makes sense to me...
just wondering, is there a "to low" for body temp? As there is a to high...

other than frozen dead!(which isn't to far off from how i feel) [Frown]

--------------------
well i know a disease that these doctors can't treat,
you contract on the day
you accept all you see...

Posts: 97 | From nor cal | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know. My daughter hovers in the 95-97 range. She has bart.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theviewfromthecurb:
ok, this seems a little extreme.

I am getting ready to have my gallbladder removed(gallstones, murphys, cholelithiasis, liver @ 3x's the norm...)
just fancy words for... OUCH!!!

I was told to keep track of my body temp just in case i spiked a fever( i should then go back to E.R.)
the lows are consistantly in the 94 range with the high being 97.2...
does this mean i actually have a fever @ 97? because if one uses the same method to measure a fever for a "normal" person, than that would put me at about 101 for my high?
(does this make sense?)

my pulse is down to 33 @ times, averaging 42.

I have babs with the lyme(and neuro) and am alergic to mepron so i havent treated babs for over a year.
I was just told the gall HAS to be plucked and i cant go on any more I.M. or I.V. until after the surgery!!!

I already feel the effects of no longer having any concept of the english language, and no one makes sense to me...
just wondering, is there a "to low" for body temp? As there is a to high...

other than frozen dead!(which isn't to far off from how i feel) [Frown]

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, View from the curb, I have the same concerns with body temp which runs very low then norm seems to be 97.

I have been running a temp of 100.1 - 101.3 what would the "real" temp. be read as? Very confused with numbers, if anyone knows please let us know.
Also have the chills and sweats so something is going on.

So sorry I copied your posting was trying to quote part of yours...duh..just one of those nites.

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Hey, View from the curb, I have the same concerns with body temp which runs very low then norm seems to be 97.

I have been running a temp of 100.1 - 101.3 what would the "real" temp. be read as? Very confused with numbers, if anyone knows please let us know.
Also have the chills and sweats so something is going on.

So sorry I copied your posting was trying to quote part of yours...duh..just one of those nites.

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
viewfromthecurb,

Please take care of yourself. Normally I would never suggest surgery for anyone, but in your case it sounds like you don't have much choice.

An ER doc would not consider you to have a fever unless it is at least 99 -- at least that is my opinion.

My Tabers Medical Dictionary says hypothermia occurs with temps below 95. Mild hypothermia is from 90-95. That might explain your extremely low pulse rates. Be sure to bundle up as 85% of heat loss is through the skin.

If I was you I would write down your temps and take that with you to give to the docs when you have the surgery done. They need to be aware of your normal low temp and fluctuations.

A normal oral temp is considered to be 97.5 to 99.5 and daily fluctuations for most people are 1 to 2 degrees.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Hubby is also allergic to Mepron. You might want to consider using quinine for the babs instead.

Kelmo,

Body temperature is controlled by the hypothalamus primarily. Hubby has been told by some alternative medicine docs that many enzymatic systems in the body will not work if the body temp is too low (don't have a number).

A couple of docs wanted to put hubby on T3 thyroid hormone to try to raise his temp but we didn't feel that was the way to go. His temp is usually 97 or so. Does take a small dose of Armour thyroid.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My body temp usually is around 96.5 at highest. When it is taken at PCP's and other docs' offices I generally get the same from nurses, "Well, you have no fever."

I have tried to tell medical personnel this and they usually shrug and do not mention low body temp in my med. notes.

I think this is important information but no one has ever been able to explain it to me.

I once had a fever of about 101 and I really thought I was going to die. Turns out I had pneumonia and required a week's hospital stay. That was back in the 1980's so this temp. thing has been going on for quite a while.

Anyone know what causes low body temp? I also have sweats and chills.

Thanks!
Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know i have wondered the same thing as well. My temperature before lyme used to run high about 99. Once I started to get really sick my temp started dropping.

I have bart, erch, and babs-lucky me- and it seems like everytime I get my temp taken it's different.

For the last two years it's gone down increasingly to now 96.4.

My question is if "normal" temperature is 98.6 is that still normal for me? That is the temperature we function best at-so in theory getting back up there would be good?

Obviously, if my tempurture is "normal" 98.6 then I would feel warmer than normally-BUT i shouldn't be alarmed because that's where i want my temp to be at.

Does this make any sense?

Basically if I had above a "normal" temp then I should be concerned because that wouldn't be normal. Even though I might feel really warm at a normal temp-that doesn't mean I really have the equivlant to x degree's higher-right?

Thanks,
Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also totally forgot to mention-

I just had my gallblatter removed. I didn't really have a choice, my LLMD said I needed it out despite the risk.

I had a gallstone and it was better to have it taken out in a planned surgery then risk another hospitaliztion for massive pain.

Basically, I recovered and was up and walking within two days-but I am also young and I had just started IV therapy and was walking 4-6 miles a day.

I wanted to get my body in GREAT shape before the surgery-and I really think that is why I heald so well.

I will say it was 2 months before I really started to feel "normal" inside-I mean I could feel something in my abdomon wasn't right-and i could feel the stitches.

I am also extremely sensitive to everything-so maybe it won't be the same for you-but I was completely against doing the surgery.

I had just had my central port catheter put in a month prior (unknown gallstones at the point), and I really didn't feel that removing an organ was the nessacery thing to do.

however, after several medical opinions and researching alternative therapies-I decided I could spend my life stressing over getting a potential attack and deal with it when it happened

or I could have the surgery and deal with the consequences of that afterward. Unforchunetly, there is really no good solution and there is major risk either way, but atleast now I don;t have the stress or pain of the gallstones.

forchunetly, for me I also had no complications in my surgery-but I will say that is my fifth major surgery (i am 22) and it was probably one of the easiest to heal from.

Good luck

Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahC
Member # 10054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it bad to have surgery when you have Lyme? Just curious.
Posts: 34 | From New Milford, Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KENNEDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SARAHC,
That's a good question. I wouldn't mind hearing from others on that subject.

You may want to post that as your topic so you'll get more responses to it.

Posts: 158 | From PA. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of your docs done a full thyroid panel?

Low temperature and a slow heart beat could be indicative of hypothyroidism.

Lyme patients are prone to developing thryoid problems, dysregulation of the immune system among other things.

Untreated hypothyoridsm can make recovery from surgery difficult. So ask your doc when he last checked the thyorid panel: TSH, T4, T3, free T4 and free T3.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With cold, there are less oxygen demands on the body. This is why people who fall thru the ice and are under water for long time without oxygen, can still be brought back to life.

Cold is alkaline.

The combo. of cold + melatonin (acidic - being overproduced) would theoretically raise your pH - make you more alkaline to counter so friggin much TNF alpha (ouch).

Hydrogen INactivates PFK (brakes on the glycolysis- sugar for energy pathway), so the more hydrogen we have OUTSIDE the cells (alkaline), the healthier we are. We are supposed to be slightly alkaline.

Metabolic acidosis is when there is too little hydrogen OUTSIDE the cells and too much stuck INSIDE the cells.

Your body is in a PROTECTIVE mode...very.

The amt. of circulating melatonin is DIRECTLY related to the drop in our body temperature.

During sleep, we get colder...our body temperature drops.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

It's my understanding that surgery is dangerous while in lyme treatment for several reasons:

First, surgery if you are "heathly" is risky, but if your body is already fighting a disease it's even riskier.

Think about it, your body is weak, your immune system is compromised and trying to recover from a major surgery when your body is not functioning at it's best is not ideal.

Secondly, any time you are opening up your body you are risking additional bacterial infections. Removal of an organ can be especially dangerous because there's a huge risk for bacteria infection which can cause serious complications.

Because surgery is done so often in the states we tend to forget that it's a BIG deal. Surgery should always be the last resort and not the first choice. Every day people die from surgery for several different reasons. Any time you are "knocked" out you are risking not waking up. It's very dangerous and although it's been perfected with technology is certainly doesn't gaurentee you anything.

I hope this help you understand the concerns with surgery and why it's not reccommended for lymies or anyone else with infection.

Lindsay

TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My endocrinologist keeps increasing the synthroid I take for Hypothyroidism. It took quite a few years to get this diagnosis.

My PCP did occasional tests but they weren't the sensitive kind. My Endo gave me samples for a higher dose synthroid to be taken every other day with my current dose. I have been taking the higher dose EVERY day and have been feeling better.

At next appt. in Dec. I will be curious to see if body temp is increased.

Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement