LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Western blot result from hospital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Western blot result from hospital
kelly06
Member # 10417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelly06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

I went to get my records from the hospital today. LLMD was interested in seeing some of the

results during my next visit. The hospital lab showed negative Lyme IGG and Lyme IGM. Please

tell me what you all think of this explanation on the results:

Test: Borrelia Burgdorferi Ab, IGG Western Blot
IGG is positive with any 5 of the following 10 bands: 18, 23, 28, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58, 66 or 93 kDa.
My result: Negative. Insufficient number of bands for positive result

Test: Borrelia Burgdorferi Ab, IGM western blot
IGM is positive with any 2 of the following 3 bands: 23, 39, or 41 kDa.
My result: Negative. Insufficient number of bands for positive result

This test didn't tell me what "insufficient" really means. I'm asking myself, did they find a

few, and if so, which ones. This isn't a typical result that I've seen on this site before and I'm

assuming its because it was done at a hospital lab?
I am waiting on my results the LLMD sent to

Igenex. I can't help but wonder why my western blot wouldn't be positive when my LLMD and

primary care doctor are almost certain I have disseminated Lyme.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm so confused over all of this.

[confused] Kelly

Posts: 64 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have positive bands showing up, but since you likely had the very LAME test from Quest, they didn't bother to tell you WHICH bands were positive.

Your dr MIGHT be able to get the actual bands from the lab itself, but I don't know.

Have you read this very informative link on the testing??

Western Blot explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most labs don't report back the actual bands. Igenex does. There are many reasons why you could be have Lyme and not be positive.

A major one is that the lab uses CDC requirements, which requires a large number of bands to be positive. There is absolutely no science behind the requriement of 5/2 bands positive.

The CDC also excludes band 31 because it is positive in people who had the vaccine. But, if you didn't get the vaccine, then 31 is a very sensitive Lyme band.

Some labs are also just not good at performing and reading the western blots. It's an art.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelly06
Member # 10417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelly06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. The more I read the better I understand all of this. The lab used

was ARUP Laboratories in Salt Lake City, Utah. Never heard of them before.

One more question: My CT scan of my head showed "tiny calcifications" at the vertex of the brain. Does anyone have any clue as to the significance of this finding with Lyme?

Thanks everyone,
Kelly

Posts: 64 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelley,

I'm getting that the lab used was ARUP in Salt Lake City, Utah.

[Wink]

OK, now I'm pulling your leg! I see we had a minor multi-post meltdown this afternoon!

Tutu and Aniek are right. This lab result is useless. You COULD have significant bands reading positive and they simply choose not to tell you about them unless they're "CDC positive," I presume. What a load of hooey.

Also, they don't even bother to test band 31 and 34, the most specific bands of all.

You could be triple positive on those bands and lymed out totally, yet miraculously not meet these ridiculous and arbitrary CDC guidelines.

Your IGeneX results will be what a western blot SHOULD look like. But it will be intriguing to compare the two. Just for fun, ask the ARUP lab for a reading of all the bands, and whether any of them were positive. I'll be curious what they would say.

Let us know, 'kay?

Be well.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelly06
Member # 10417

WOW...not sure why that one response posted numerous times. I think I did have a minor multi-post meltdown. [lol]

Thank you all for explaining this to me. I'll know my Igenex results on 12/5 during my next appt with my LLMD.

Kelly

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly - many LLMD's offices will fax or read them to you prior to your appointment, if you ask. :-)

They know people do NOT want to wait that long!

You could try calling and asking if you had any positive or indeterminate bands, and see what happens!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement