LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mepron and wieght loss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mepron and wieght loss
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone lost weight on mepron?i lost about 4 lbs in two weeks..also has anyone else had dizzyness and very breathless upon exertion?I feel like crap all the time and the neuro stuff is much worse and pronounced..hoping that this will resolve?feel gittery and feel buzzing in spine...anyone else...also wiered dizzyness..
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope no dizzieness or weight loss but probaly weight gain because I take it at 7am,1,teaspoon 7pm, 2, teaspoons that means Iam eating 2 extra fatty sandwiches every day .

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyf723
Member # 7505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyf723     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on mepron since June and have lost about 7 lbs, which is upsetting to me since I was only 117 to start with. What are you taking with it? I'm on 750mg zithro/2 teaspoons mepron. Does anyone know how long you need to take mepron?
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iam taking it with biaxin xl. Iam guessing a few months?

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI! I have been dealing with the Babesia for about 1 year and a half now. It didn't get detected right away which was probably why I was so sick. Got the lyme diagnosed in 2002 but the Babs wasn't until 2005. It's so hard to get rid of in some situations.

When I started on the Mepron last year- yes I had a lot of dizziness and head stuff going on. So that may mean the medicine is working. I did lose some weight last year when I first when on it now that I think about it. But I put that weight back on after a year.

For each person the dosage and length of treatment is different. From what I have read and learned from Dr. B who found the Babs in me last year- was that the parasite (Babs) is in the red blood cells. A red blood cell lives up to 120 days. My son had it too. In both cases we were treated beyond 4 months. He seems to be ok now but I am still struggling.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarenB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Mepron and did lose weight.

Before starting on Mepron I had already lost about 20 lbs from stomach issues related to lyme.

Initially the Mepron worked for me and then I got really sick on it, I did not feel hungry because I was nauseated 24/7

I lost more weight and was down to 113lbs which is not a healthy weight for me.

I stopped the Mepron and was switched to malarone which worked for awhile.

However, I am starting to lose weight again due to nausea, have no appetite.

With me it seems like a vicious circle. I herx which is a good bad thing, which means your lyme is being attacked.

Then nausea sets in and I can't take it anymore.

I am currently on minocycline, nystatin and a bunch of other supplements, etc.

I'm waiting to see how this works.

Take care

karen

Posts: 151 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still on mepron and I am in my fourth month of treatment. I have experienced stomach uspset and weight loss, as well. I try to take it with as much food I can get down because that really helps the stomach. Doc also added septra and ketek in the third month and I finally tested negative on the fish test. [Smile]
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Blast

I lost about 30 lbs the first time
I took mepron-mostly muscle--

Before I started mepron
my muscles were so Tight it was like
working out 24X7--hert like Hello-

In 3 weeks of taking the
mepron my muscles relaxed--AAAhhhh-

After taking 5 bottles of mepron -
I had to stop because of supply-

After about 8 months I was able to
take mepron again --

Now After taking 6 bottles I am gained
about 8 lbs--- Fat ---

It is VERY IMPORTANT to take mepron
with Fatty Food--makes it absorb
over twice as good -

I eat cream cheese-condenced milk-cheese-
olive oil-and corn oil to add the fat
to the food I eat --

Bacon-sauseage-hamberger- eggs are also good
things to eat with mepron --

(picture- Big gulp of olive oil)-MMmmmm

----------------------------

Mepron has worked Perty Good for
me so far-
I am Mostly Babs symptom free-

I also take Art-Biaxian-Doxi-Tonic water-

I herxed Real hard for 2 to 3 months-
Now I feel perty good--

Herxing seems to be mostly gone now--

Now you have a Real excuse to eat a
Triple Cheese Chicken Cordon Blu
with Bacon and extria Cream Sauce-
- for a snack ----Jay---

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there polar,

I haven't lost any weight on the mepron yet. (Darn) I am almost to finish my first bottle. I had nausea on it only the first week and then it subsided. I too have the crazy buzzing in the spine sensation now on Zith & Mepron. Even felt like my eyes were jittery and my head was tremoring a few times. Weakness in legs, burning everywhere.

The worst for me was about 12 days of severe swallwoing difficulty and I thought I was doomed and was going to die! The swallowing issues have been replaced with the burning spine stuff now, stiff neck, etc.

My take is that it was a severe herx and that this stuff is hitting its target well! I am still alive but miserable would be saying it nicely.

Please hang in there and don't be afraid to call the LLMD and take some time off from the meds if necessary. Oh and drink lots of water to help the toxins get out of the system.

Send some of that weight loss MY way, will you please?

--------------------
 - Some day, this mamma's gonna dance!  -

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

that is how i feel!!
eric

lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Mepron for 6 months and along the way lost some weight, about 15 lbs. It is hard to tell if it was from that, the Ketek, or later Omnicef, or the anti-yeast diet.

I was pleased at first but right about now I don't want to keep dropping weight and have to plan my food and really focus on eating not to. I'm not on Mepron anymore.

When I first started Mepron my neuropathy symptoms really increased and my feet were tingling and burning all the time.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had problems since my last relapse with keeping my weight up, No matter what I eat.

I personally think it has more to do with having co-infections & lyme than from my mepron days Although mepron & the med combo's with it,
did take away my appetite and made me more nauseated. But then again have had GI problems all along the way with my lyme & TBI's.

It's also been a real challange to being on an anti-yeast diet. I had to go off when my stomach gave out & eat more starchy stuff. My wieght was 92lbs & I am 5'3. But even with the addition of some starch's my weight remains a real challange.

Good luck to you & hope you can find a way to keep your weight up [group hug]

take care
Dana

ps. peanut butter( or almond butter) can really pack the weight on if you can eat this.

Also if you can eat dairy- sour cream I put on everything & helps too. You can also get the reg unsweatened yougart( not the non-fat) helps some too.

None of the above is medical advice, just my personal opinion

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Just got back from Dr appt I can confirm weight gain BUMMER [Frown] 10lbs

--------------------

Newbie Links

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the dizziness is a common Babesiosis Herx. most people I know who have gone on Mepron get it-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First two months on the Mepron combos I felt like I was going to die. Into my sixth bottle now and feeling better than I can remember in at least 15yrs. The stuff has really turned my life around.

I'm currently on Mep/Biax/Art.

I have also lost about 10# although I was pretty thin when I started.

By the way, I feel like I get best absorbtion by taking it on an empty stomach w- a tablespoon of coconut oil.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement