LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » zithromax questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: zithromax questions
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be going on zithromax in the next month and my insurance provides very limited coverage. They will pay for something like 6 pills, one time only. I need 60 pills a month.

I'm wondering if any of you have specific information that generic is not as good as the brand name version for this drug?

Also wondering if anyone knows of good sources for cheap zithromax.

I cannot believe how expensive this medication is!!!

Thanks for your help,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt zith is pricey. I'd check into Canadian pharmacies that can mail order. Bush's goons at the FDA have temporarily stopped confiscating grandma's meds at the border.

Heck, here in WI. our own Governor set up a website for people to order Canadian rx. Maybe Oregon has something similar ?

I would do generic as well if at all possible. Zith has a long life in the system, 5 days I believe, so it's the gift that keeps on giving. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used both, and for me the generic didn't work. It wasn't that it wasn't working as good...it didn't seem to work at all. They slipped the generic in on me when the patent ran out, so I used it for 2 months. I had my Dr write my scripts for the name brand only after that (D.A.W.) Dispense as Written.

I also noticed a big difference between the 500 mg and 600 mg. The 600 works quite a bit better. There are no dyes in it either like the pink 500 mg ones.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanoverw/lyme
Member # 10215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanoverw/lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have care first. when i was on 250mg per day, my insurance would only cover 6 pills, pharmacy jusst resubmitted it every 6 days, and it went thru, just alot of co-pays. i mentioned this to my LLMD the last time i went, so he changed my presciption to 600mg, and they gave me all 30 under one co-pay. don't ask me didn't make sense but it worked.
Posts: 46 | From hanover, pa | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your replies.

NP40 - thanks, I'll check the Canadian pharmacy. Didn't know the 1/2 life was so long. Cute, the gift that keeps on giving. [lol]

micul - Interesting about the differences in effectiveness. Your comments have encouraged me to talk to my LLMD about whether I should consider the non-generic. The price difference is astronomical so I hate the thought of paying it but there is no point in taking a medication that won't be effective. I may have to try the non-generic and then the generic to see if I can tell a difference. Your feedback helps a bunch.

hanoverw/lyme - I went back and looked at my insurance booklet and it isn't really clear whether it is a one time limit or if I can get it re-filled. It didn't even occur to me to try that. I'll call the insurance company and find out more about the limitations. You may have saved me a lot of money. [kiss]

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm worried about this as my coverage plan is changing next month.

Maybe the doc can send an appeal to the insurance company, saying it's medically necessary?

Starry Steph

--------------------
Learning to love, and loving to learn.

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes---zith is a tough one to get thru your insurance but it is done regularly by LLMDs offices. I went several months paying full co-pay for 10 pills at a time. I called and argued and fought and sent things and faxed and talked and fought and faxed and talked to the doc's office and had the nurse call and got no where.

then switched LLMDs and told the secretary about my zith script problem and she called in an authorization and they filled it for a three month supply!

We never figured out how she worked that magic.

call your LLMDs office and tell them about the trouble. If they have been doing this for any lenth of time they will have a way of getting your zith covered.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken both the Zith and the generic. I have not seen a difference and I herx really badly (well) from both.

--------------------
 - Some day, this mamma's gonna dance!  -

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Thanks trails, I called my insurance company today and they state that a doctor can call them and tell them that it is a hardship on the patient due to disability or whatever and they will allow more than the limited quantity.

You were right hanoverw/lyme! The limitation will allow me to have constant refills. Unfortunately it won't do me much good this time but maybe in the future.

My insurance company has a gap period in coverage. After a certain amount has been paid out by me and them for prescriptions then I have a gap in coverage. This is the new medicare part D coverage. I'm at that point now.:-( I must pay for $3,600 out of pocket before they will pay for further prescriptions. They will not allow me to use Canadian pharmacies if I want credit towards the $3,600. I think that is so stupid since it would probably save them money in the long run. Heck, I may never get past the $3,600 if I use a Canadian pharmacy.

Thanks Big Mamma, good to know.
Terry

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement