LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help with joint pain / antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with joint pain / antibiotics
scottg
Member # 10669

Icon 5 posted      Profile for scottg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello: I am new to this site. In brief, I pulled the engorged deer tick off me (32 yr old adult male - otherwise healthy) about Sept 1, 2006 and have had symptoms since, mostly joint pain (some headaches/fatigue/chills). Got positive blood test for Lyme. 2.5 months of doxy (100mg 2x/day) has not done the trick. My script runs out next week, and I don't know what I shoud look to do next. I am working on finding an LLMD, but in the meantime, I want to push the current Dr. in teh right direciton. My hope is to act agressive enough and early enough to avoid a long term problem.

Looking for thoughts...

Posts: 3 | From Northborough, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie C
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scott, Magnesium for muscle ache and pain also Pycnogenol for Muscle and JOINTS... Plz do not take anything without thorough exhausted research. Because to start Pycnogenol you really need to do what is called a saturation Dose then cut back. Again do not take if you do not know what and why you are taking it. In the mean time, call your Dr. tell them you are having fevers and chills and headaches. Hence I was taking 5,000 mg of Amox plus another one. Again be very careful with ABX and the Herx Reaction. If it becomes unbearable cut back immediately for a day or two. Call Dr. to inform him of your lack of wellbeing. NONE [confused] Amox is good one to start with. Stay close here and report your journey. [Wink]

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get Stephen Buhner's Book, Healing Lyme. IT works.
Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Headaches and chills suggest Babesia, it is a parasite that is often carried by ticks. The treatment is pretty intensive, so you would probably want an LLMD directing the treatment.

But you can get tested for Babesia through Igenex labs. There are also tests through other labs that might be more easily covered by your insurance, but they are less reliable.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azithromycin (every other day) combined with Ceftin (1000 mg) is what I'm taking for my current relapse. My symptoms were all arthritic in nature and this worked prior to starting IV Rocephin.

The IV treatment worked well for me but I believe it was stopped too soon. At the least, I've had Lyme about 14 months but never saw a tick, rash or positive blood test. I had all the clinical symptoms though.

FWIW, they did not use doxy for me because I have a severe allergy to that form of antibiotics.

One thing you need to learn is that you have to do your own research and be your advocate. DO NOT RELY ON ANY DOCTOR without checking everything out!!! This disease is not like any other and needs to be treated aggressively. Keep copies of all lab work or other tests because you may need them or may notice something they miss.

HTH,
Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most LLMDs would find that 100 mg of doxycycline is not a high enough dose. They tend to treat until six weeks have gone by symptom-free, not a mandatory 4 weeks.

There are many doctors out there who are not trained ILADS docs who will treat for more than two months. I would suggest this logic: emphasize with the doctor that you were in great health before the bite, you know the tick was engorged, and that your health fell apart after the bite with symptoms consistent with Lyme disease.

Describe for the doctor that you were starting to feel better on the antibiotic, but once off you quickly slump back into the same symptoms. Did you have a rash when bitten? That helps -- doctors want something they can see. Are any of your achy joints swollen (knuckles, knee, etc.)? Also a big hit with most doctors.

And yes, headaches and chills are oftem found with babesia, which is often treated with a combination of an antibiotic and antimalarial, such as Zithromax/Mepron. That combo kicked my illness (which sounds similar to yours) into remission.

Hope you will be feeling better soon.

Regards,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent you a reply on your private message with my telephone number (Westborough). Please give me a call

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottg
Member # 10669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scottg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback. I came across an article discussing Tetracycline as a good choice in this situation. Any thoughts on this?

And, yes I had a rash.

Sincerely,
-Scott G.

ps. Tim. Thanks for talking to me this morning.

Posts: 3 | From Northborough, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie2008
Member # 10650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shazdancer:
Most LLMDs would find that 100 mg of doxycycline is not a high enough dose. They tend to treat until six weeks have gone by symptom-free, not a mandatory 4 weeks.

I've read that you may need 400-600 mg of doxy a day, but is that taken 4-6 times a day or do you take a higher dose? I'm confused because I learned in pharmcology that doxy is a time dependent and not dose dependent antibiotic, meaning it is better to take it more frequently than to take a higher dose. Do you know of published resources about doxy dose? Thanks.
Posts: 4 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scott

200 mg of Doxi will kill Most germs-Not Lyme-

400 to 600mg spread threw the Day is best --

Lyme and Babs are Super bugs--Ouch--

Important--
Make sure NOT to eat Dairy or Vitimans
with the Doxi--
Lowers good effects close to Zero --

Make Sure to figure out if you have
co-infections --Most folks Do --Ouch--

Time is Not on your side--

Do what you have to do to get
the medicine you need--Seriously--

I am going to PM you--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement