LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Blood pressure issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood pressure issues
typhoon_sheri
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for typhoon_sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone out there in lymie land have any blood pressure issues?

Since my lyme diagnosis and taking antibiotics my blood pressure at one point was 150/100.

My doc put me on Tenormin to regulate fast heart beats and HBP. I only take a 1/2 tab a day. (25mg)

But.....there are times througout the day my BP drops to 90/60. ( I have a blood pressure cuff at home), but I know when it drops because I feel funny and week. My blood sugar is within normal limits.

What is one to do ????? [bonk]

I have a EKG's, Echo's and a stress test....All normal.......As I was taking my stress test my BP went from 140/90 to 120/80 within seconds.

YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 116 | From state of lyme | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pure Lymie League
Member # 10421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Lymie League     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, high blood pressure can be a symptom.
Mine was 163/ 104 at its highest. I had always had low blood pressure until now. I am on Toprol which
is controlling it.
Sara

Posts: 81 | From Nashville Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.mercola.com/2006/nov/25/blood-pressure-readings-which-number-is-more-important.htm

(has link to a research study)

So, you folks may be healthier than you think !

And as usual, medicine is filled with contradictory studies !

If I remember correctly, the diastolic pressure (bottom number) is as, if not more, important , than systolic. But that is a very old memory.....research since then may have proven otherwise.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with Lyme can get problems with their automonic nervous system (ANS). The ANS controls most unconsicous functions of the body. Wikipedia has a good overview of the ANS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_nervous_system

In my case, my blood pressure is slighly low (usually around 100/70) and my pulse is high (usually around 95). It's pretty steady, but we are trying to increase the blood pressure and lower the pulse. My doctor is using nutritional treatments, treating amino acid deficiency, nutritional deficiencies and adrenal fatigue.

Many with Lyme get orthostatic hypertension, also called POTS, in which your body can't regulate the blood pressure when you transition from sitting to standing.

This is another link with information: http://www.potsplace.com/

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine is low. i fainted a few times. during my csection it went to 50! i was blacking out and they administered something to me.
Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try taking your BP when you are lying down and again when you are standing. Is it the same?

If it drops when you stand it is probably related to your ANS, a form of dysautonomia. I've had both Neurally Mediated Hypotension (NMH) and POTS.

It can take some fine tuning by a very knowledgeable doctor to get your BP to a good point for you. Mine has improved with my Lyme treatment.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typhoon_sheri
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for typhoon_sheri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Lots and lots of interesting info !!!!

How do they treat POTS for you ?

That is the issue, when I take the Tenormin I kinda bottom out for a while. My BP fluctuates throughout the day along with the old ticker racing. I do notice it even more if I am upset.

It's a funny thing...My mom is 80 and not well and the minute I see her name on the caller ID my heart starts to race, because I am so upset for her. Weird Huh? When she tells me how sick she is I can feel my heart racing, after I talk to her it takes many deep breathes to get back to normal.

I was in the hospital Thanksgiving night for heavy chest pain, (I have a PICC line), I had a stress tests with pics, ekg, cardiac enzymes, and chest x-ray. Thank God, everything was normal, but I would have bet my last dollar I had an elephant on my left chest and shoulder.
It ended up the muscles around the heart were pulled or swollen, due to the Roceph digging deep into the tissues. And so goes...This Dam_ disease does not have any direction.

Happy healing to all...........

Posts: 116 | From state of lyme | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I got my diagnosis of Lyme, I was having horrid blood pressure spikes and heart rates.

Blood pressure could get up to the 190's to 140's and I was even sent to the ER to get it down by a doctor once.

But on the other hand, I could get it very low...the 80's over 50's where I was blacking out and feeling weak.

They focused on that aspect and this was the time frame they thought I had a pheochromocytoma, which is an excreeting tumor of the adrenals after urine and blood testing.

But they did three different scans with various contrasts and never could find the tumor, so tried treating me with B.P. med's. But since I was only spiking, many times, that brought it too low.

They never did figure out how to treat it since I was too irregular but since my treatment of Lyme, I have noticed that SO FAR, it's been getting more consistent and in normal range.

So I tend to believe that this is definitely related to lyme now and it may get worse before better, meaning a herx could come along and throw it off again.

If yours stays consistently high though, as others have said, you may need medication for it. I'm just saying that for me, I was all over the map and they didn't know why.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teen daughter with lyme got diagnosed with severe POTS this fall.

She is being treated by a pediatric cardiologist who specializes in this disorder. He said caused by lyme, but need to treat separately, it is curable.

I am getting the impression that some cardiologists do not take POTS seriously and therefore miss it or don't treat adequately.

Our dr's own son had POTS and dr says he did not recognize what was going on for long time and feels badly about that.
She takes Florinef and Proamitine and is dramatically better. She feels like her lyme is gone!

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement