LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Oh FUN! Time to make a sign for the Protest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh FUN! Time to make a sign for the Protest
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out some of the ideas here!

http://lymenews.org/html/links.html

[Big Grin]

Anyone have any ideas for slogans? I could use some new ones.. as could some other folks!

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scientific or medical fraud ought to be on some signs somehow.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that signs are easier to read if we KISS-Keep it simple s*****.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "IDSA causes Chronic Lyme" [Big Grin] Jerks
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, only one sign should be made.

"THE IDSA GUIDELINES DENY PATIENTS ACCESS TO EVIDENCE-BASED STANDARDS OF CARE FOR LYME DISEASE"

or simply "WHAT IS YOUR RESEARCH-BASE???"

...because they have none. despite the 400 footnotes cited, this question cannot be reasonably answered.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC, I put my many suggestions on SIZZLED's post in activism. [Big Grin]

Adding: I think something needs to show the numbers OF LYME DEATHS and by state IF possible!

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo, good one!

Can I make that a 'Burma Shave' sign???

What sign do YOU want, for those who can't make it there?

Be heard! Be seen!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ladies....

I sent these suggestions to the website you suggested...

TBD
+IDSA
-------
DEATH

LYME KILLS

LYME IS THE SUPERBUG!

TBD
+IDSA
+AMA
+HMO
-------
DEATH

I thought they would be concise and eyecatching!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's this for Burma Shave -ish (short and rhyming sign)
my first one above was definately too long.
Needs to be short and stick in the brain, easy to read, for those who do not know the history or the IDSA:

How about:

DENYING LYME is a CRIME

mo

[ 27. November 2006, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Mo ]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please make your signs understandable for everybody. Don't use jargon.
I don't think many people from outside will get the word (or symbol of) 'Duck'.

Test your sign or your slogan on non-Lymies first. See if they can get it.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's now a long list of specific slogan ideas on the rally website:

http://www.lymenews.org/html/slogans.html

Also, they suggest the following guidelines:

* Stick to the issues, make your point clearly

* The fewer words the better; you want this to be legible if your sign should be on the news Thursday evening.

* Personalize with your state.

* Please DO NOT write anything about Westchester Medical Center our issue is with 3 of the doctors there, not the center itself.

* Use ribbon to attach 2 boards together and use them like a sandwich board over a person

* Use Lyme green poster board

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, cover your sign in dry cleaner type bags in

case it RAINS SO YOUR EFFORTS CAN STILL BE READ!! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some signs should say something against IDSA. Otherwise people wouldn't know against who the protest go.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GEEZE!

To make a sign! It shouldn't be THAT hard to do!!

You'd think I was trying to build a space ship!

It has taken me TWO days to do ONE sign!!!

But..

You can see it from here to the barn!

[woohoo]

And I'm working on another one which I hope will be done by Thursday. If so... you MIGHT see a bit of Lyme green at the protest.. and a 1/4 mile away!

And yes.. I resisted the longing I've had for years..

To make a "bill board size" sign.. I can't believe I just used THAT word.. watch out now...

Anyhow.. one that had .. in big black letters...

LYME DISEASE IS SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED

I'll just have to wait and do that later.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 10 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>uh....

Nope.

Not gonna say it!

Nope...

[Razz] Not about billboards, anyway!!!! BWAHAHAHA!! [Big Grin] Oops! [bonk]

I making the,"If short-term antibiotics worked I wouldn't be here!"

and Mo's sign about IDSA biased evidence-based research...or sumpin' like that!

I am making signs for people who are travelling and can't bring one..okee? [spinning smile]

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all

Great job with the signs. I work with an environmental group and we do a fair amount of protests (completely non-violent, no civil disobedience either), anyhoooo we do a lot of placards and signs.

There are a couple of rules: don't use acronymns (IDSA etc), most people won't know what you are talking, or protesting about, so you need to keep it very very simple. Make the letters at least 4 inches high and use a dark marker that won't run in the rain. Have information that you can hand out - the press like filming that.

Keep your focus - this is a very complicated and controversial issue - you need to come across with a sharp focus and present yourselves as passionate about the issue, but also as reasonable, rational and sympathetic. This is doubly important as you are protesting against doctors who are considered eminently credible authorities by most media until proven otherwise.

You probably have already done this but you should identify spokespeople so the media know who to go to. They will probably want quotes from other people attending the rally, but you want to make sure that there are one or two media point people.

Try explaining your protest in under one minute to someone who doesn't know about or understand Lyme disease. If you can't do it in under a minute keep practicing until you can.

You also need to figure out why people without Lyme disease should care about this issue. Most people will think: Why should I care? Says who? What's in it for me? If you can answer those questions in a compelling manner you are half way there.

Good luck!!!!

Gwen

[ 28. November 2006, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: gwenb ]

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow.. THANKS Gwen!

that is excellent advise!

(if you see this message, would you post this also in the activism section thread?)

mo

hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm making signs too.

My advice is to use the thickest darkest waterproof markers you can find so the signs can be read from a distance. I did this for the Hartford Rally and all my signs got on TV/in the papers.

You can attach sticks of scrap wood with packing tape so you can hold the signs up high. You can make them double sided.

I'm still undecided on my slogans but am considering:

LONG TERM ANTIBIOTICS ARE SAVING MY LIFE.
THE NEW GUIDELINES WILL DISABLE ME

LYME IS WORSE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE
DENYING TREATMENT IS A CRIME

THE NEW LYME GUIDELINES ARE CRIMINAL
DR WORMSER SHOULD BE ASHAMED

LYME IS HARD TO KILL
MANY IN MA TOO SICK TO BE HERE

WITHOUT LONG TERM ANTIBIOTICS
I WOULD BE DISABLED OR DEAD
REVOKE THE NEW GUIDELINES

My mother & some friends might come:

DON'T STOP MY DAUGHTER'S TREATMENT
I'VE SEEN HOW EFFECTIVE IT IS

MY FRIEND HAS LYME
HER TREATMENT IS WORKING
DON'T TAKE IT AWAY

That's all for tonight.
See you Thursday.
I still have room for a few more from MA. Need a ride?
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you messing around with me Sizzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Hard to NOT say it.. isn't it?

HA!

[Big Grin]

I know the bus folks .. at least one.. will need a sign. I told her not to worry.. that I THOUGHT you'd have some to share. Good to see you will!

THANKS!!!!

I had a friend come by earlier.

They looked at my signs.. some of the ones I had finished that were laying around still drying.

The first words out of their mouth ..

"You're gonna to go to jail."

Funny thing is.. they meant it!

When I laughed them off they also said not to expect them to get me out of jail. After all... who can be bothered getting a friend out of jail... during hunting season!

Anyone got bail money?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

bettyg
Unregistered

quoting GwenB...her comments were OUTSTANDING so I broke them up for you SIGN MAKERS!

posted 27-11-2006 09:56 PM
Hi all

Great job with the signs. I work with an environmental group and we do a fair amount of protests (completely non-violent, no civil disobedience either), anyhoooo we do a lot of placards and signs.

There are a couple of rules:

* don't use acronymns (IDSA etc), most people won't know what you are talking, or protesting about, so you need to keep it very very simple.

* Make the letters at least 4 INCHES HIGH and use a DARK MARKER that won't run in the rain.

* Have information that you can hand out - the press like filming that.

* Keep your focus - this is a very complicated and controversial issue - you need to come across with a sharp focus

* and present yourselves as passionate about the issue,

* but also as reasonable, rational and sympathetic.

* This is doubly important as you are protesting against doctors who are considered eminently credible authorities by most media until proven otherwise.

You probably have already done this but you should:

* identify spokespeople so the media know who to go to.

* They will probably want quotes from other people attending the rally,

* but you want to make sure that there are one or two media point people.

* Try explaining your protest in under one minute to someone who doesn't know about or understand Lyme disease.

* If you can't do it in under a minute keep practicing until you can.

* You also need to figure out why people WITHOUT Lyme disease should CARE about this issue.

Most people will think:

* Why should I care?
* Says who?
* What's in it for me?

If you can answer those questions in a compelling matter you are half way there. Good luck!!!!
Gwen

[ 27. November 2006, 10:57 PM:
Message edited by: gwenb ]
Posts: 99 | From: vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005 | IP: Logged

Gwen, OUTSTANDING ADVICE TO ALL! [group hug] [kiss]

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's to spending thursday night in jail -- only after a civil and copelling education as Gwen defines, of course!

m

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 6 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww.TC, I will TRY and come bail ya out....after someone bails ME out! [dizzy]

I am using the names of the WRITERS of the IDSA who are there.

If no one knows what IDSA is, at least they will know WHO wrote them!

Areneli
Member # 6740

Bettyg,

We protest against IDSA and we are not allowed to say IDSA on signs?????

If people don't know as you suggest than press should explain.

'IDSA' must be visible on sings.

Besides, one sentence is enough to explain who they are: associatiation of bad doctors who try to deny diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe it is essential that the signs are simple,
a compassionate demand for right to medical care.

plain and simple.

the signs should be understandable by those who do not know the IDSA.

the press will explain to catalyst of the protest.
Blumenthal has ordered an investigation.

"LYME RIGHTS NOW"

"DENYING LYME is a CRIME"

"CHILDREN ARE MOST AT RISK"

"LYME is a NATIONAL EPIDEMIC"

"UNTREATED LYME DISABLES"

things like that.

we have to stick with what we are demanding as far as our rights, and not have angry signs bashing the IDSA.

the latter will make us look like lunaticks.

(in my strong opinion.)

also:

"INVESTIGATE (three docs names) FOR ANTI-TRUST ISSUES" here and there wouldn't hurt, because Blumenthal has called for that.

"(three docs names) BIAS HAS NO PLACE IN SCIENCE!"

"(three docs names) "A BIASED RESEARCH-BASE ENDANGERS PUBLIC HEALTH and WELFARE"

when you have a strong message, the simpler the
better and no need to bash.

if the message gets across, it is they who will
suddenly be in the hot seat automatically.

mo

[ 28. November 2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Mo ]

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MRB They are great. I hope you are coming to use them. lymemomtooo
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

What if I just had a big lyme green poster that said I WANT TO LIVE !
Mo
Member # 2863

Carol,

that's short and to the point!!

Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo has some good suggestions there. I like

DENYING LYME IS A CRIME

OUR CHILDREN ARE AT RISK

LYME DISABLES

and WAKE UP CDC!!!!

I agree we have to get our point across with quick catchy phrases that the media outlets will focus on. With catchy phrases the cameras will focus in and the media will ask more questions- that should be our goal.

Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the slogans and the pictures. All definitely have merit.

I'd like to add to one please.

I WANT TO LIVE WITHOUT LYME!!!!!

Will be sending all of my positive thoughts and prayers to all attending. Will be there in spirit if not form.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word of Advice...

Don't try spray painting neon green paint on posters.

At least not while INSIDE the house.

[bonk]

But it is COLD outside I told them!

[tsk]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Mo
Member # 2863

ya know, after all this brain wracking over signs and whatnot...
i'm beginning to think we should simply all spray paint our a$$es Lyme green and show them the collective bootie.

m

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Areneli:

Bettyg,
We protest against IDSA and we are not allowed to say IDSA on signs?????

If people don't know as you suggest than press should explain.

'IDSA' must be visible on sings.

Besides, one sentence is enough to explain who they are: associatiation of bad doctors who try to deny diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.

Areneli, there are so many postings here, it's easy to get mixed up who said what ok.

I did not say anything about IDSA; but I did break up GWEN'S post where she said that and emphasized all the WONDERPOINTS she stated for easier reading for us all. [Big Grin]

pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the attitude of the idsa, and insurance industry, summed up by still,another angel of death:

"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."
http://celebritymorgue.com/josef-stalin/

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Follow IDSA Guidelines => Chronic Lyme Disease!!!!
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LYME is DISABLING OUR CHILDREN!!
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about this too,(idsa acrynms) but i really want to make something about what the real truth of this issue is. why are they doing this? its tricky to come up with one for that.

I ntended
to
D isable
S icken
A nnihilate

I deally
D eath
S ickness
(and?)
A quiet epdiemic

one of my friends forgot the name and called it "isad or whatever" i thought that was cute, and it made me think of:
idsa makes isad

Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo,

I'm going to Home Depot now!

I love it the Lyme Bootie Train to Valhalla!

Man that made me laugh just thinking about the sight of all our lime green rumps.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

ALERT FROM PROTEST COMMITTEE:

ATTIRE:

Lyme Green is great but PLEASE no costumes!!!!

We need to be taken seriously! Thank you!

Lyme Rights Committee

and PLEASE be sure all signs are tasteful and clear

..particularly because pictures will be taken, we want to send a very serious and clear message tomorrow.

mo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement