LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Red Cheeks (Face)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Cheeks (Face)
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have noticed that since starting treatment, I have red cheeks that don't seem to get any better. The redness is not hot to the touch, and doesn't burn and isn't itchy. Is this just another fun symptom of Lyme, or could it be due to the doxy? Or could it be the sign of neededing to detox. I'm sure someone else has noticed this too!! Thanks.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi visual,

One of the telltale signs of a flareup for me is red cheeks -- no rash, no itchiness -- just constant red face.

I also get red if I'm allergic to something chemical or herbal or otherwise... I started out on rocephin with a red face all the time for about two months and then it subsided. My LLMD referred to it as "that Lyme look."

It will eventually calmed down for me, but comes back when I herx.

Best O'best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could this be due to sun sensitivity?

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get red cheeks, nose ears and (chest lately too). Am treated for rosacea. But it does not look like typical rosacea.

Mine feels hot though. It just comes and goes.

I did notice when I was on meds, it did not happen very often.

Since I am in between treatment, it has come back!

Mine seems kind of opposite of yours though...

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarenB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so strange. I have been wondering this myself.

Everytime I run into someone they ask me if I just got back from vacation. Wish I had.

I have had about 10 people say to me you have a lot of color, etc.

I notice it too, first I thought I might have put too much makeup on.

I am not itchy, doesn't burn or anything.

So what's up? My eyes feel puffy and blurry, but that's not new. Some days worse than others.

My redness in under my eyes and on cheeks.

Could this be toxins coming out?

Karen

Posts: 151 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, just another opinion. I had this happening BEFORE my diagnosis.

They kept telling me that I must have lupus because my rash on my fash looked like a lupus butterfly rash.

I never tested positive for lupus and they basically gave up on the rash and went off on diagnosising me with other crazy things.

With that said, I can say from personal experience that it DOES happen in lyme. Even more, in one place I read symptoms, this was listed.

If only I had known and stopped all the constant tests for lupus due to pain and this RASH, I could have gotten treatment sooner.

I not saying this is what is going on with you, but I do know in my case, I had it as one of my SYMPTOMS of my "mystery illness" that ended five years later as being Lyme positive.

Good luck and hopefully you won't scab up like I did when it got very bad. MD.'s have no clue about it, so don't bother asking.

Check with your LLMD if it becomes bothersome.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny I didn't notice the red face either. Recently at an immunologist appt. He said he was going to prescribe me some metro gel for the roseca I had. I don't think it looks like roseca it is just red sometimes. Yes, like the other poster said lyme can cause a malar rash too. It is not unique to Lupus, even though some ducks believe it is.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travlr1
Member # 9681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visual,

My wife and I both get the night time "butterfly" rash.
[dizzy]

Travlr1

Posts: 66 | From West Coast | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it look anything like this link? It's a picture of a butterfly rash commonly associated with Lupus.

Doesn't sound like that's what you are experiencing, but thought I'd check.

http://tray.dermatology.uiowa.edu/LE-001.htm

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLaura
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLaura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd says that my red cheeks are a symptom of bartonella. I've just started treatment for it...I'll let you know what happens.
Posts: 132 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeLaura,

That is very interesting that your LLMD says its Bartonella. I had a positive test for Bart, and I have gotten the red cheek stuff for a very long time since I was a teenager. Its like someone drew a line under my eyes from white to red. Mine does get warm and it looks like I had always had too much to drink when I wasn't drinking.

I actually had it yesturday, and I haven't had it in a long time.... and it seemed to be going away.

But..... I used my infarred sauna yesturday morning. I haven't used it in a while, and when I use the sauna I always herx from it. But usually I get muscule twitching or headaches. But I didn't get those, instead I got extreme fatigue and red cheeks all day.

I am wondering now..... Can this be a herx reaction?

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had the red cheeks off and on for years. Countless times people would tell me how healthy I looked due to my "rosy" cheeks. All this while I felt absolutely horrible. I've had numerous lupus tests but they all come back negative. I thought allergies *might* play a role.

Interesting about bartonella. These past few weeks I've become convinced that I have bartonella. I was off mino for weeks before starting doxy and I got red streaks on my abdomen. I only had one before, now I have quite a few.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek,

I'm one of the many here that had this face rash that for YEARS I was told looked like a "lupus butterfly rash" and I had more lupus tests than I could count.

My rash was not really quite like your picture. I was sent to a dermotologist when my lupus test kept coming back negative and his only comment was that a pheochomocytoma could produce this type of rash, which I WAS testing positive for.

Bottom line, I tested positive five years later of this run around for Lyme. I'm extremely fascinated in it also being related to Bart since my co infections from Igenex came back negative but lyme positive.

My LLMD said that even with the negative results he felt certain I had babesia due to past symptoms and MAYBE Bart, but then on the second appointment I mentioned if/when we would treat the bart and he said we don't know if I have bart or not.

This seems odd to me since he is treating me for babs....so not sure why the dragging feet. Is there any reason it would hurt to do an abx for bart and "see what happens".

Since this rash was such a big deal to the doctors for so long in my case, if it is indeed bart related, I don't want to have that aspect ignored.

My rash would be dark around the nose and would be fading off in color the further down my cheeks you went, but the cheeks were still red. But no, not quite like this picture.

I haven't had it in several months but it would come and go out of no where. Didn't hurt or itch, but I'd often feel "spacey" at the time. I could go many months with nothing and then it would reappear.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any idea why it seems to come later in the day (for me at least)??

I am wondering b/c it is buring right now! And I look like Rudolph!! [Frown]

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cathy,

I mentioned Lupus just because it's one of those things you do want to look for. Plus, I have heard an LLMD say they believe Lyme can cause Lupus.

I know red ears is a symptom of Lyme. I used to get that at the start of my treatment. My ears would get hot and turn bright red. Usually happened early evening.

Is your rash at all associated with the time you eat?

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme4
Member # 10723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbelievable, joining this lymenet has been sooo helpful to me.

Oh my, my daughter suffered for many years with the picture that aniek posted and still does. She went undiagnosed for lyme for 11 years. I took her to so many skin doctors for help but of course no luck. Now she is being treated for lyme with IV, also on Azithro and Mepron.

But, she has those red cheeks where it looks like a bad sunburn and it burns so badly. And she gets those red stretch marks on her stomach. So your saying this could be Bart?

WOW! I can't wait for her next appt. He had her on Bart abx for two months and now we are seeing if she has bab because she is so sick. Her co infections came back negative but Dr thinks its not so.

So I think I will ask to go back on abx for Bart after Mepron.

Thanks for your help.

Lyme4

Posts: 60 | From RI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TerryK,

Here is a picture of the Bartonella Stretch Marks.

2 of my sons had these marks, but when they were treated with Doxy/Mino the marks faded away, it took about a year for them to completely disappear.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/PhotoAlbum_RashBart.html

--------------------

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lisianthus,
Mine aren't long like the first picture but I have several that look like the pictures in your link. Quite a few of the vertical ones and 4 or 5 horizontal, 2 are dark and several inches long.

Glad to hear they faded on your sons. I just found out yesterday that my brother has them too and he is losing sight in one eye. In looking at bart I find that his eye problem could be related to bart. Anyway, sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

I appreciate the pictures. [kiss]
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Hey we are all here to help one another, anyway a convo comes up.... Its important to know all of the symptoms of a co-infection maybe to figure it out for yourself.

My sons marks started very small, maybe thinner then a pencil and no longer then 2 inches. But as it progressed, the marks got longer a wider. About 5-6 inches long and as wide as a finger. But being teenage boys they didn't show them to me until they were larger, and I didn't know what they were either.

Then the marks started showing up in other areas... First hip, then under the arms, then the inner thigh. Now they have have a slight scare there. They've been on abx for 2 years now, and will continue until all symptoms are gone.

And yes Bart can cause visual problems:

EYES: Conjunctivitis, Bartonella Neuroretinitis, Loss of Vision, Flame Shaped Hemorrhages, Branch
Retinal Artery Occlusion with Vision Loss, Cotton Wool Exudates, Parinaud's Oculoglandular Syndrome, and Papilledema.

Good luck,
Lisi

--------------------

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one reason they kept testing my ANA for luupus and because I had a history of that 10 years before when they thought I had lupus!!! I hads a bright hot butterfly rash hated it for 2 years after being bitten. I always say nothing happened in my first 6 months of Rocephiin but actually the ONE thing that did happen was within 3 days of IV Rocephin my butterfly rash and the whole body lacy red rash disappeared!!! Then nothing happened for 6 months!!! And I believe I DID have bartonella because the last of my symptoms disappeared when I was traveling in India and got terrible gastroenteritis and they put me on IV Cipro and I was symptom free 100% for the first time since getting sick!!! You should all know that there are many strains of Bartonella they don't bother to test for which are HUGE in humankind!!!WIll post on that!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one reason they kept testing my ANA for luupus and because I had a history of that 10 years before when they thought I had lupus!!! I hads a bright hot butterfly rash hated it for 2 years after being bitten. I always say nothing happened in my first 6 months of Rocephiin but actually the ONE thing that did happen was within 3 days of IV Rocephin my butterfly rash and the whole body lacy red rash disappeared!!! Then nothing happened for 6 months!!! And I believe I DID have bartonella because the last of my symptoms disappeared when I was traveling in India and got terrible gastroenteritis and they put me on IV Cipro and I was symptom free 100% for the first time since getting sick!!! You should all know that there are many strains of Bartonella they don't bother to test for which are HUGE in humankind!!!WIll post on that!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My facial redness seems to be rosacea. It responds well to alkalizing supplements (Mg, Ca)and a more alkaline diet.

For those who are unfamiliar with this concept, the typical American meat-potatoes-chocolate-coffee-white flour diet leaves acidic byproducts after digestion, contributing to heart disease and other predominantly "Western" health issues.

A diet richer in green and "Asian" vegetables leaves more alkaline byproducts in the body after digestion. This state seems to be better for us.

Here is a link with a chart of acidifying vs. alkalizing foods. http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

I found a book written by two dermatologists, one with rosacea, who keep it under control simply with an alkalizing diet and supplements.

It's tough to resist our staple foods, especially during the holidays, but this approach might be worth a test run to see if acidity is causing your skin problem.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement