LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why you should cook these vegetables....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why you should cook these vegetables....
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bodyecology.com/newsletters/06/11/16/cook_vegetables_maximum_nutrition.php
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GiGi, again you post w/ some of the best info!

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some cultured veggies on the way and am looking forward to trying them. Thanks for the great info!

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click on the link about the "Incredible Hangover Solution", there is an interesting recipe for young coconut kefir that is good for candida.
Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Don't you love this website --- I learn something new every time I click into it!
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With respect to the cultured veggies on this website, just be very careful that you don't have mold allergies!

I had had a question about whether to eat fermented healthy foods (miso, tempeh, cultured pickles etc) and I believe now that they're great for you as long as you're not allergic to molds like I am.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer here but want to save folks from the immune taxing effects of eating something they might be allergic to. My sx of mold allergies were not obvious until I eliminated moldy foods from my diet. Voila, my rashes disappeared. (Mold rashes, not EM rashes.)

I hope that helps someone.

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the cultured veggies have mold? They are cultured with bacteria.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

http://www.rejuvenative.com/articleRCV.htm

Cultured vegetables should be prepared like any other food, in a clean kitchen: with clean organic vegetables, clean tools, clean glass container, and clean hands.

sofylyme
Member # 7900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold???
I dont know if any of the following is true but will tell it for whats its worth.

I bought organic cabbage, boiled everything I used and made sauerkraut.

Shortly after starting eating it I went completely down the hill and couldnt remember how to get up and where to go if I did.

After quite some time it finally dawned on me that perhaps the sauerkraut played a part so I stopped. I did not get better immediately.

Several weeks went by and I thought about yeast so stopped all salads afraid of unseen mold on the greens and even the fermented Braggs natural vinegar.

I also remembered to start eating my xylitol mints several times a day.

After 3 months of barely functioning on Dec 1 I had an abrupt turn around. I suspect fungus/yeast was the issue.

Often when you buy cabbage it has had the outer leaves removed and who knows if mold was growing on it. Ive certainly seen what was mold on veggies in the produce dept.

If you are very sensitive to fungus almost any fresh veggie in the dept could be contaminated cus if junps around and you cant always see. it.

From now on its frozen veggies for me. They are usually picked and frozen right away so they dont sit around and take days to get shipped which invited nasty stuff to start growing.

Yup, Im afraid of that stuff now and it makes it easy to restrict my diet even more than it already was.

I buy one fresh thing and thats romaine which I smear with almond or cashew butter cuz I can only push so much chicken & fish down my throat. The butters seem to fill that void for starches. Meat protein & veggies just dont quell my hunger not to mention I need the butters just to try and keep on enough weight so the wind doesnt blow me away

Tomorrow I might feel completely different but today my brain is working good enough to write this and this morning I walked the dog for 20min at a brisk pace.

Posts: 55 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Sofylyme, how did you make the Sauerkraut? What cultures did you add? or did you just make it with salt?

Vitamin K contained in many cabbage type vegetables is an anticoagulant. Are you taking a blood thinner?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FY/FY20900.pdf

Do you have a nut allergy?
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/61/67466

Just wondering.

Take care.

sofylyme
Member # 7900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi, thanks for your interest.

I made the kraut with natural salt like you posted in Jan this year
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040659#000000

I dont believe I have an allergy to nuts cuz I eat the same one every day and when I was feeling so good last summer and then this spring & early summer I was still eating them.

Ive known people with nut allergy and saw what happened to them when they accidently got a trace of nut in their system.

Im not having that kind of reaction. As much nut stuff that I eat every day Id been dead by now. Ive been eating them for years.

I do not eat anything with peanuts.

Posts: 55 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mold allergy doc (Dr M) told me not to eat anything that was cultured: salt "pickles" included. This doc has an excellent reputation and several others on this board have mentioned seeing this doc.

I'm not clear on the diff betw mold, yeast and bacteria. All I know is that when I eat the mold-free diet this doc recommends I stopped having bloating at all.

I tested allergic to many foods (granted the blood test has more false positives than the skin test) and I had much less bloating after eliminating the foods. Many of the foods were ones that I'd never noticed any overt rxn to.

Also, as I understand it the cultured foods are just the veggies mixed with salt without any bacteria, enzymes etc added. So there might likely be all kinds of things cultured in these foods which might be fine for some folks but for me miso, tempeh, soy sauce and salt pickles are out. I feel much better when I don't eat them.

It also maybe have something to do with the fact that I used to eat a reasonable amount of these foods right around the time when my gut was really leaky. Soooo, I expect that I might have developed the allergies at that time.

We all have to keep open minds to what our own bodies, experiences and intuition tell us. If cultured veggies work for you, then go for it. They just don't work for me.

My $0.02 in case it helps someone.
Denise

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP!!

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be able to eat fermented veggies & Apple Cider Vinegar, but eventually I couldn't tolerate them when the yeast got bad.

My allergist advised me not to eat anything pickled or fermented or with mold. This was such a blow to me because of the wonderful Lactobacillus & Acidophilus present in sauerkraut. It comes from the cabbage leaves. (sorry, lyme brain here, it's the good "bugs" similar to yogurt cultures). There are also lots of good enzymes. It's very, very healthy.

I know several people who started eating cultured veggies and had their health turn around for the better!

Every once in a while I try some to see if I can tolerate it (usually get nasal congestion, bloated stomach). One day I hope it can be a regular part of my diet.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement