LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone had unexplained weight loss?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone had unexplained weight loss?
cal57
Member # 10684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cal57   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't changed my diet but seems like I have lost weight through muscle mass.

--------------------
http://groups.msn.com/HikerDudes

Posts: 15 | From San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, me!

I have lost weight through muscle mass since having Lyme.

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cal57
Member # 10684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cal57   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your response. Had various symp's for last 4 months. Passed all Neuro exams with Family Doc and Neurologist and negative on Brain MRI. So, no MS so far. Just trying to rule in or out other disease/conditions. Now I am starting to suspect Lyme.

--------------------

Posts: 15 | From San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canadianmike
Member # 10716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canadianmike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did also, about 20 lbs
Posts: 6 | From ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are on antibiotics, are you taking LOTS of probiotics?

Without the beneficial bacteria, we can't *absorb nutrients (or make several)*.

The various digestive enzymes can go kapoot. When the system is too acidic, this may impact the enzymes too. The acids can "downregulate" one another. They all are supposed to be in the right balance.

Same with the minerals.

If food is not broken down, it can't be utilized.

Our brain cells, WBCs, mitochondria (powerhouses)...need glycogen.

First...glycogen stores in the liver will be used. Only a day's supply is available in an emergency.

Next...fat will be used to supply glycogen.

Ultimately protein.

In a manner of speaking, this is a defensive move, but a dangerous one. The system is becoming far too acidic.

The original Atkins diet caused kidney failure. The kidneys balance the pH, but they can do so only so fast. Too many acids (negative charges) harm kidney cells.

This is not unlike being exposed to radiation (a strong negative charge). While targeted, it is a good thing (to target cancer cells), but overall exposure will damage healthy cells.

It is a matter of balancing the acids-minerals and acids-glycogen. Lots of negative charges, BUT a little positive charge...to produce hydrogen.

All spirochetes ferment sugar (glycogen) to ethanol/alcohol.

Like us, they need sugar too.

Bb is "PFK dependent". This is phosphofructokinase. It is an enzyme that is "rate limiting" for glycolysis.

Insulin ACTIVATES this enzyme. Several things INactivate it.

Add to the above, that Bb triggers the cholesterol pathway too...the release of VLDL...very low density lipoproteins...from the liver.

It LOOKS to need those proteins to build its cell wall.

So, like us...Bb wants proteins and fats too.

Only ONE nutrient is capable of INactivating both pathways simultaneously.

It drops "significantly" at the outset of lyme and continues to drop for several reasons.

This is a downward spiral because all the nutrients ultimately "interact".

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jadedemolush
Member # 9090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jadedemolush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost about 50 lbs. without trying
Posts: 48 | From Toms River New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two sons experienced their weight loss due to babesiosis.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyf723
Member # 7505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyf723     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost about 7 lbs. Some lost in the beginning of treatment due to gasto stuff, then a few more lbs, while on Mepron. Any one have any ideas on how to put it back on?
Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have weight gain that I have not been able to lose. Where does weight gain fit into the Lyme picture?

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has definite wasting cycles when he loses muscle. There is a drink made with lemon and olive oil that has helped stop the wasting.

1/2 whole lemon (peel and everything)

1 TBSP olive oil

food process together

pour/scrape out contents into strainer

pour 1 cup water through strainer

Drink 2-3 times a day

I learned this trick thanks to a post by A Friend from www.roadback.org (antibiotic protocol for rheumatic/autoimmune disease).

A Friend is the Marnie/Gigi over there. I was able to stop my husband from completely wasting away with this drink.

It was originally created to keep HIV patients from wasting away. It's also used for herxing.

Check out A Friend's post below:

http://www.keephopealive.org/lemondrk.html

1)
NEUROPATHY REVERSED IN 14 DAYS
Mark Konlee

2)
WASTING SYNDROME, SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES AND NEUROPATHY SUCCESSFULLY TREATED WITH LEMONS AND OLIVE OIL
Reprinted from HIV Treatment News

by Mark Konlee,

3)
RECIPE FOR WHOLE LEMON/OLIVE OIL DRINK
(Rapidly heals Neuropathy and promotes weight gain by detoxifying the liver and normalizing saliva pH values)

4)
WHY THE WHOLE LEMON DRINK WORKS: CITRUS PECTIN RESTORES ABSORPTION OF FATS
Lemon Juice and Olive Oil Flushes Toxins from the Liver.

5)
TOXICITY, INDICATED BY ACID SALIVA, pH LINKED TO DEPRESSION, NAUSEA, FATIGUE, POOR APPETITE, NEUROPATHY AND WEIGHT LOSS

The primary cause of toxicity in the body is the buildup of toxins and waste matter from cells in the liver and in the lymphatic system.

This creates a condition of acid blood and often a higher pulse rate. Saliva pH is on a parallel track with blood pH.

This is why a simple saliva pH test can indicate the pH of your blood.

Toxicity impairs the functioning of the liver and most other glands and organs.

Toxicity can cause mental depression, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite and lowered output of digestive acids and enzymes.

In all PWA's who have tested their saliva pH, acid pH levels have been found in all cases of depression, fatigue, poor appetite, neuropathy and all cases of wasting syndrome not linked to a specific pathogen (i.e. cryptosporidium).

Lecithin is the most important nutrient to take to prevent or reverse neuropathy. However, lecithin that is swallowed, but not absorbed will do no good. When painful neuropathy is present, a tablespoon of Lecithin granules should be added to the ``Whole Lemon'' drink and consumed each day.

In addition, castor oil packs with a heating pad should be used over the abdomen area for one hour each day.

Also, a good liquid B vitamin formula should be taken along with sublingual B-12.

When saliva pH is normal at 6.4, it indicates absorption of most nutrients from food is occurring; the blood and lymph are not excessively acid and transit time for food through the G.I. tract is at a slower and normal pace.

Normal saliva pH indicates the blood is more highly oxygenated and an unfriendly environment for growth of most viruses and other pathogens. The blood is bright red in color.

Energy levels are higher and digestion occurs normally.

Note: More information on this subject can be found in the Immune Restoration Handbook, by Mark Konlee and Conrad LeBeau.

[end of excerpts from link]

AF

http://www.keephopealive.org/lemondrk.html

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the information, Parisa and Marnie -- very interesting.

I have been losing weight this month, but the reason is obvious; the big "D" keeps coming back.

Not sure the probiotics pills that I take are replacing all that are lost from the abx.

That being said, the abx have helped me so much over the last 5 months that they are worth it, even if I have to spend more time in the ladies room than one would wish to!

I am going to try the lemon/olive oil drink, and see if that helps.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I have had unexplained weight loss on & off for years regaurdless of what I eat.

Unexplaind weight loss was a pre-cursor to my last relapse.

I could eat an all you can eat buffet every night for a week & still loss wieght. I know for a fact its a lyme or co-infection side effect. Because I didn't have it 20 years ago pre-lyme.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cal57
Member # 10684

Thanks for the info, Parisa. I will have to try that drink.
This wgt loss has really scared me--never had this before. Sounds like a lot of Lymies out there are surviving it and coping with it but it is still a drag. My best of good health to all of you.

--------------------

KarenB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KarenB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I had unexplained weight loss in a short period of time. About 20 to 25lbs. Everyone says I look too skinny.

Believe me, prior to all this lyme **** I couldn't lose weight if I tried.

Initially I was glad I was losing weight but then lost too much.

I'm only 5'4" and weigh 113lbs. Definite muscle loss. This was also one symptom that sent me to my primary care doctor before seeing a llmd.

I don't know how many people go through it but I think it is common.

Karen B.

I also have babs

Posts: 151 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cal57
Member # 10684

Thanks, KarenB!
In my 20s,30s I was usually around 5'2" 125 due to a lot of long distance cycling, running, etc.
My metabolism slowed now in my 40s, so I have been around 145. Recently, I dropped to 129 within a short period of time. I don't mind being 129 if I had the muscle tone I use to have, but I don't have that now. It really sucks.

--------------------

AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lost approx. 15 lbs in the past month and a half unexpectedly. I can really notice my ribs and pelvis sticking out when I am laying down.
Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost 15 lbs without trying, when I was most ill I was down to 84lbs. With treatment I have gained about 10-11lbs lbs back.

I recall a post about the lemon and olive oil drink. Thanks for the reminder, I will give it a try.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thin my whole life - 5'4" and about 94-96 lbs most of my life, but then again, I believe I was born with Lyme, too.

When my Lyme symptoms flared, I often would fall to 92 lbs and would start looking sickly.

When they flared and my docs stopped giving me abx for my 'sinus infections', my weight dropped to 88 lbs. I lost every ounce of muscle on me and my heart muscle was hurting bigtime.

I eliminated wheat, glutens, soy, corn, and eggs before I knew I had Lyme, and now I'm up to 104 lbs and at least steady with my weight, though not cured of Lyme! If you can't seem to gain, I would recommend a food elimination diet because I know I was dangerously thin and that saved my life.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lost about 10lbs but lost a ton of muscle.

I used to walk twice a day had leg muscles...

i will never forget one of my directors at work saying to me....wow you are withering away ....have you always been that thin!! At that time i had just recovered from bronchitis....and was eating 1000 calorie breakfast and could not gain 1 lb

Ive always had trouble gaining weight, but this was soooo much different.

At my sickist i was 89lbs 5'3 and so scared. I was always starved and never ever would get full.

Then I started taking armour thyroid and gained a few lbs, but when i started valtrex for possible viruses....i gained even more wieght. I have weighed 101lbs for the last few weeks.

I still look frail though, the muscle has not come back as of right now.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyf723
Member # 7505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyf723     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost about 7 -10 lbs, I'm 5'3" and was 115, pre-Lyme. I thought it had something to do with the Mepron I was taking for babs, but I see from everyone's posts that it's not the meds it's the Lyme.

I guess the only way to rebuild muscle mass, would be to exercise. I happy I can get up walk around forget about anything strenuous.

It feels like I'll never be able to exercise again. Hope that changes!

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Atkins and kidney failure:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/62/71623.htm

Besides...many years ago, a girlfriend was on this diet (the original version) and ended up in the hospital in near kidney failure...

So...from WebMd above and from personal experience, it is not healthy to be on high proteins and fats without very, very careful monitoring.

Such is the danger of the ketogenic diet too.

Rent the movie, "First Do No Harm".

When we eat sugar, this triggers insulin release. Sugar is alkaline. Insulin is acidic. When the balance is "right"...the pancreas sends in another acid to shut off insulin.

The acids downregulate one another.

When we eat too much sugar, the excess goes into fat cells to provide energy in a state of emergency.

Ahhh...Citrus D-Limonene

Molecular Formula:C10H16

We think of lemon as acidic, but when it hits the digestive track, it becomes alkaline from what I have read.

Europeans often add a fresh slice of lemon to their Cokes. Know why? Do you know how bad Coke is for us?

Interesting combination...lemon and olive oil!!

WHOA.

Hi hydrogen? Any chemists on board?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cal57
Member # 10684

Nancy723,

Try Yoga or Pilates for exercise--this is more gentle on body.

--------------------

beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
63 pounds in 3 months for me. That was when I was at my sickest. I absorbed zero nutrients.

I tried the Atkins approach and ended up having kidney surgery. What has worked best for me is a more macrobiotic diet, with some animal protein added in.

I know, you are thinking too many carbs. But, I eat only unrefined whole grains. They don't cause the candida problems I was experiencing when not absorbing any nutrients. Whole grains take a while to metabolize, which is helpful for me. I have better energy.

BTW, this diet was not new to me. I ate this way prior to starting treatment. I believe it helped me to keep symptoms in check for over ten years of mis-diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pope
Member # 10725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me. 6ft 0ins. 175lbs most of my adult life regardless of how much or little I ate.

Then when I got ill a year ago, I started losing weight (although it took a long time before I noticed... other people noticed first).

Lost 30lbs in 3 months. Have regained 5 or 6 lbs since then, but it's hardly what I'd call a recovery.

Gastros baffled - couldn't find anything wrong. Only just discovered Lyme might be the problem.

P

Posts: 19 | From London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement