LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Feel like I don't fit in/another lyme symptom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feel like I don't fit in/another lyme symptom
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just feel very with drawn and never feel like I belong any where. I know that sounds strange but it makes me feel down.

Is this another lyme symptom or is this depression?

Example: Thanksgiving I went to my parents house and my sister who I never got along with was there. That made me feel uncomfortable.

Brother who I thought I got along with okay was there with his wife and new baby. They seemed to ignore me and never even mentioned my new car. They literally had to walk past it to go in my parents home.

The next week my 11 year old daughter who participates in a christian theater group informs me that the lady we car pool with no longer wants to car pool with us. She doesn't call me her daughter tells my daughter. Her daughter and my daughter have had some problems and it could just be that.

I felt like she could've told me however I see her neighbor at a meeting and she informs me she's carpooling with so and so. Last year all three of us car pooled.

Okay so I've whinned enough. Sorry lymeneters I'm just feeling sensitive.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel exactly the same as you do. I think it is part of the increased sensitivity due to Lyme, just like my increased reaction to light, noise, crowds, etc. I also notice the negative more, which would be due to secondary depression. You are not alone in this.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry too much about it....

It's kinda like GAD(generalized anxiety disease)they give ya paxil for or some other ssri.

Some of it is perceived by us because we're so different now that we have a chronic disease.

Your ability to deal with it logically is because of the interference the spirochetes cause in the brains emotional communication mechanism.

Some of the other folks like to distance themselves from us cuz they can't handle folks with a chronic disease...

Or if they don't know you have it wonder...what the heck is wrong with that person?

Hang in there.........zman [Wink]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to my daughter's Christmas Concert last night in a full blown pity party. There was me, sitting in a bubble of misery, surrounded by an auditorium of smiling parents with cameras and camcorders.

I really tried to rise above the mood and at least put on a happy face,too-just didn't happen. Didn't help to realize at the concert that I had put my shirt on backwards either.I felt kind of frumpy.

I'm just sure everybody there was thinking what a sad sack I was-including my daughter. She went home with a girlfriend for the night.

I just know they're all talking about me and what a loser I am. I don't need anybody's pity- I have enough of my own. [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feeling like you don't belong anywhere and feeling withdrawn does not sound strange to me at all. I often have those feelings. It *is* depressing sometimes.

Speaking for myself, I find it hard to relate to healthy people much of the time except to my husband who fully understands my lifestyle. I find it hard to get involved in healthy people concerns when my life revolves around this illness. I have lots of limitations that healthy people can't understand. About the only way to be around those who don't understand is to completely avoid talking about your life and focus on theirs. That tends to make one feel isolated and alone. Kind of like you are trying to hide something even though you are not.

Family members who don't understand illness may avoid you. It's easier to ignore you then have to face talking and hearing about something that they feel uncomfortable with. Illness scares people and some people would rather pretend it does not exist. Our society in general has a very strange attitude about illness. Some people blame the person who is ill for not getting better. Others just can't relate or don't know what to say. It is a lack of knowledge and understanding on their part and has nothing to do with reality or with you personally. Try to ignore it as hard as that is.

If you can, get in touch with a local lyme support group. They will understand and you will be able to connect with others in your situation.

As far as the car pool situation, I think the woman who did not have the common courtesy to contact you personally is very rude. The woman obviously has no social graces and you are better off not having to deal with someone who chooses to behave in such a rude manner.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give them all a copy of,But you don't look sick,or whatever it is titled??

Maybe it is in the newbie section.Anyone know??

Pass them out freely!!

Is it the Spoon Theory?You don't look sick?I don't know,but it should be given to all friends,family members,maybe your church bulletin would accept it as a portion of the church bulletin.

My friends, that "make every minute count",will go on and on,I'm playing this,going here,we are so busy w/ this.......I tell them,I'm happy to walk around the block now.Make dinner,help w/ homework,remember their names!!!

Hold your head up high,tickalert,she may need your info about TBD someday!

Life in Lymeland,these stories make me cry.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I agree with all the above, it's how lyme effects us, it makes us more sensitive and maybe aware of life, pain etc.

However, there are rude people and people who could care less about your life, your disease your kids or that your doctor is under investigation etc. I have met a lot of them sorry to say. I have also met people who thought I was contagious and wanted to know if I was putting my son in the swim-n-gym at the YMCA.... [Embarrassed]

Part of it is....we all don't look sick. I put my make-up on, take a shower and try to look the best I can. On my worst days no one sees me.

But then I think even if I looked sick, I still think there would be people who could care less anyway... and you would not get a *how are you* out of them if you gave 'em money.

Having a chronic illness really lets you know who your friends are.
[Smile]

[ 02. December 2006, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Beverly ]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely relate to everything said in this post. I don't know what Lyme did to me or to my social life, but I look around and wonder where my family went in all of this. I thought if I could count on anybody to understand, it would be my family, but instead, I feel closer to people in my support group and my 'internet family' here.

I do have my 19 yo daughter, but she tested positive for only one band and can't be treated just yet. I don't think she is quite as ill as I was, at least yet, as I think she's content to just take antidepressants and antianxiety meds, even though I keep telling her it's all Lyme Disease.

I was treated for depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and OCD my entire life. Nobody understood those. They told me to "snap out of it". When I started to develop more severe social phobias and just a general feeling of blah, same thing. I guess up until recently, I always did 'look' okay. I think it's that 'wanting' to fit in with the healthy, hoping if you do it enough, it'll rub off.

Then the physical manifestations of Lyme became dominant. Even then, at first, I tried not to complain. I have a pretty high pain threshold and just thought I strained my spine or neck. I sat quietly for years with a heating pad on my back, shoveling out of blizzard after blizzard in the northeast.

But when the pain got so excruciating and other things in me were starting to fall apart (my liver, my bladder, my GI tract, my teeth, my ovary), and still no definitive diagnosis other than 'psychosomatic tendencies', I reached out to my family and they just weren't there for me as I had hoped. I helped them pull my mother through chemo for lung/brain cancer, but nobody wanted to acknowledge this was real, even when I'd dropped to 88 lbs and my docs were threatening tube feedings for my 'anorexia'.

My sister told me they weren't finding anything wrong with me, so therefore there was nothing wrong with me. She told me she couldn't support me forever and that I just want attention or they would've found something wrong with me by now. Even when I finally got a dx, she questioned whether I 'really' had Lyme. I think that one was the biggest blow of all. That's when I really pulled back.

I know how you feel though. I mean, my life has pretty much become Lyme. I try to look forward to a time when I won't wake up thinking Lyme Disease, but I'm so photophobic still that I can't seem to normalize my life with a job or friends outside of Lyme.

I feel bad when my daughter calls. Like you said, unless you make the conversation all about THEM, they end up removing themselves somehow from discussing your Lyme. It does make life feel a little lonely and one-sided at times. But if you make a few Lyme friends, you'll find them to be the only ones who truly understand how you feel.

Keep your chin up and see if you can find a support group in your area. I think that would help you feel like you fit in more. Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Klutzo. I've also been going through an extremely difficult divorce and custody battle with my ex.

Zman good point. My neuro symptoms in my head have been a lot worse. Just part of this disease.

Cobweb I hate social events. I always feel so akward and out of place. I'm sure no one noticed your skirt but our sensitivity is heightened.

TerryK your right no one knows what to do or say when someone has a chronic illness. They just think at some point we'll get better. It's not like having a cold or the flu. With the car pool situation your right this lady obviously has no social graces. I was extremely offended to say the least.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme4
Member # 10723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its so hard for me to socialize when I feel dizzy, headache, etc. I just sit at social events sometimes quietly because I am tired often. Somedays I feel great but I am still sad about my whole family with lyme that it is hard to smile often. I feel this disease has taken over our lives, our bodies, our minds. But my whole family keeps going each day. We all try to stay positive in that someday we will get better but that has been my question; is anyone cured?

What is more upsetting to me than people at social gatherings that I really don't want to be with if they are one sided, are the doctors that my family saw for many years before we found out what was wrong with us. They have no clue about lyme and how to diagnose it. One thing that I have gained with lyme is my voice. I will not tolerate people who think this is not a disease and I am not quiet to these people.

Talk to people who care.

Posts: 60 | From RI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we were well we didn't realize the energy it takes to socialize. And then on top of the physical part of mingling is the emotional/mental part of it.

Being social was a very stressful situation for me when I was at my worst. My doc did perscribe Xanax for me and it did help get me through. Also it seemed to help so I wasn't physcially, mentally or emotionally spent the next few days.

As you get stronger, this will improve.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tick, I'm sorry to hear about the things going on in your family. I know from firsthand experience that divorce can be draining and stressful, even if it's amicable. I can't imagine hostility coupled with Lyme symptoms.

I could relate to what you said about socializing. Even though I'm feeling better, there are times I have a lot of difficulty in social situations. I still have some auditory sensitivity, and the sounds in a big party can overwhelm me. It just happened last weekend at a surprise birthday party for a family member.

My SO and I often take separate cars to functions, so if things get too bad for me, I just leave. Otherwise, I try to step outside...

About feeling withdrawn, the toll this disease takes is huge, on people who're sick and their families. Plus, as others have said, so many people either don't understand or could care less.

In my case, I was completely out of commission socially for about two years. I've only changed that in the past few months. Most people seem glad to see me in improved health, but some still seem to be...angry? upset? at me. I have NO idea and honestly have quit caring.

This disease has taught me more than I could imagine about living in the day, and honestly, I don't have time for people who can't be caring and supportive.

You take care

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryll
Member # 10063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can totally relate to what all of you said.

I work at a small school and didn't hear from anybody when I had to take medical leave this year. Finally one person sent me an ecard and I was so thrilled someone cared! Then I called one coworker and she said she didn't know when to call me because she knew I needed my rest and didn't want to wake me if I was sleeping.

The sunshine committee never sent me a thing and I thought about the money I had contributed to it to send flowers and other cheerful gifts to staff members with new babies, illness or tragedy.

When I came back and entered one of the classrooms I am in a lot, because I have nine students in that room, they actually clapped and cheered that I was back!!

You gotta take it where it is given and ponder on the quality of the relationship where it isn't. Also, sometimes telling people what you want even when you think it is obvious or should be obvious may help with people who are more humble and open.

I found this article on the web helpful. It is called How To Kill A Sick Friend and you can find it here: http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/coping/killer.html

One of the best support persons in my school district is a friend I made while I was sick. She is also a speech therapist in my school district. She was wonderful and I think it was because when she had a stroke years before, no one was helpful or supportive to her.

I know I am much more supportive of others going through horrid times now. I know they need to vent and they need permission to speak about their pain and loss. I ask them about it and I just listen. I know what to do now because I can relate my experience to theirs.

Posts: 48 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement